Sign in to follow this  
joebaker23

Jalen Hurd 2019 Outlook

After his performance tonight and the injury news of Trent Taylor, what do we think about him? Don’t want to overreact to a performance in a preseason game, however he presents a lot of upside I would think.

I had already been reading up on him and watching some college highlights as our draft was last night.I believe it was Shanahan who called him a Swiss Army Knife.Anyhow as i mentioned in the My Guys list thread I pulled the trigger on him last night in the 21st and final round of our 12 team draft.Being that we can keep 2 players a year(that count 3 rounds against us year to year) I'm hoping he ends up on my team for a few years.

He was an awesome RB at Tennessee. I thought he was crazy when he switched positions and transferred looks like I'm the fool.

Jalen Hurd snared three-of-five targets for 31 yards and a pair of touchdowns Saturday in the 49ers’ preseason win over Dallas.

If you started Hurd in preseason DFS, go collect your winnings. A former running back who transitioned to wide receiver late in his college career, Hurd got the scoring started for San Francisco by reeling in a 20-yard touchdown off a play-action bootleg from Nick Mullens. The rookie fought for his touchdown, shoving aside two would-be tacklers on his way to the end zone. Hurd capped the night with a go-ahead score in the fourth quarter, securing a slick back-shoulder throw from C.J. Beathard for a four-yard pick-up. While many have been quick to pigeonhole the Baylor alum as a gadget player in the mold of Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin, the 6’4," 230-pounder has plenty to offer as a traditional wide receiver. He stands to benefit from Trent Taylor’s injury.

1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

has the size to be a dominant reciever. buying

beyond size, hurd has the hands, route-running, and is deceptively agile for a biggin'.

i was avoiding him in july because of the depth in san fran, worried about his snaps, but after seeing his first preseason game and hearing from shanahan, i'm back in. would be great if he plays WR/TE/RB as it would keep him on the field.

ImpressiveGreatIcelandicsheepdog-max-1mb

ImprobableGrimyHind-max-1mb.gif

16 hours ago, joebaker23 said:

After his performance tonight and the injury news of Trent Taylor, what do we think about him? Don’t want to overreact to a performance in a preseason game, however he presents a lot of upside I would think.

price is negligible: rounds 16-20 in snake, $1 in auction. might not see enough playing time to start him on a weekly basis, but absolutely worth the late-round dart. continued injuries might be his ticket to snaps, and i'd expect that if he shows his stuff on sundays he can secure a regular starting position (though not sure at what position).

JointCreamyCanine-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

Gotta like that SF runs a ton of plays and now get Jimmy G back behind center.

There are weapons abound in SF, but with Shanny Jr I trust that he will be utilized plenty and beyond Kittle, targets are pretty well up for grabs.

I am very interested, esp given the cost. Certainly more of a deep dive/dynasty, but I can see him having a path to relevancy everywhere.

I know he's been exclusively practicing/playing at WR, but there are also supposed plans for him to play some 'move' TE to...that sort of versatility could only increase his fantasy value in the future. Arrow ^ imo.

As a Tennessee homer I saw him play extensively when he was here. As a RB he usually ran over or through you, and took a lot of hits, which is probably a reason for his transfer to Baylor and WR. I watched him the other night, and he still has the talent, albeit at a different position, still tough as nails, and plays hard. I will definitely be watching him in late rounds, as all he needs is the opportunity, which may come sooner than later.

4 hours ago, The Caucasian Sensation said:

As a Tennessee homer I saw him play extensively when he was here. As a RB he usually ran over or through you, and took a lot of hits, which is probably a reason for his transfer to Baylor and WR. I watched him the other night, and he still has the talent, albeit at a different position, still tough as nails, and plays hard. I will definitely be watching him in late rounds, as all he needs is the opportunity, which may come sooner than later.

Love Shanahan's quotes in this article about how hard he plays " We want him to be physical, we want him to irritate the heck out of every player in that secondary and I hope he pisses people off. I hope a lot of guys throw punches at him, and that’s what happened. I looked hard to see if he was doing anything cheap in the play. Didn’t see it on tape, but someone took a shot at him and then that’s where I got upset with Jalen. He’s going to piss a lot of people off and I hope a lot of people take shots at him and I hope he sits there with his helmet on and smiles at them and waves to them as they get ejected and gets us a free 15-yards. But, he failed in that yesterday. He got the guy irritated enough to lose his composure, the guy hit him and then he fought back, so we lost both of them for the game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Any news on this kids health?

Not sure about health but in my 30 team league with 10 bench spots I’m stashing for sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Any news on this kids health?

Should be on track to come back after the bye. Even then he might need some time to get up to game speed. 

I remember when this dude's mom embarrassed the hell out of him trying to call out Kamara.  Only memorable thing about him

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Just trying to time my stash. Thanks for the update boys. This kid looks like a beast. 

Yeah I am still holding, but back injuries can be tricky...that said post BYE week debut feels like a solid option.

They also put Taylor (often hyped slot man that never is healthy) on IR, conceivable to think Hurd gets that role in short order...

39 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I am still holding, but back injuries can be tricky...that said post BYE week debut feels like a solid option.

They also put Taylor (often hyped slot man that never is healthy) on IR, conceivable to think Hurd gets that role in short order...

Not a whole lot of information on the back injury.  Regardless, in this offense, this kid could be, dare I say his name, Aaron Hernandez-esque.  Line him up anywhere, can do anything, flat out ball player.  Absolutely love this kid.  

Anything on his work ethic, attitude, etc?  I only made a few google searches and I smell some diva in him. 

This guy is worth a three week speculative add in a deep league. He might return next week and if he does he might need a week to integrate and then in the third week play some meaningful snaps. By that point you're battling other owners to pick him up as a lotto ticket. 

He was doing so many nice things in camp and preseason games. Just looked so ready and beastly. His versatility could be really useful and translate to fantasy too.

43 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He was doing so many nice things in camp and preseason games. Just looked so ready and beastly. His versatility could be really useful and translate to fantasy too.

Goal line RB who plays WR between the 20's and is big enough to play and run TE routes?

Yeah, I'll have some of that.

This guy was good enough of a RB at Tennessee to keep Kamara as a change of pace back

Seriously, he won't be the goaline RB but I bet he gets carries at the goal line to go with his normal WR duties.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Percy Harvin on growth hormones.

Whoa, placed on IR today.

This will not be the year we see what he can do.  Makes the pathway for Dante Pettis and Deebo to meaningful touches at least a little less congested.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Whoa, placed on IR today.

This will not be the year we see what he can do.  Makes the pathway for Dante Pettis and Deebo to meaningful touches at least a little less congested.

considering Hurd hasn't seen a snap this year, idk if it changes much for those two.

5 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

considering Hurd hasn't seen a snap this year, idk if it changes much for those two.

It doesn't change what's happened already, but I think it surely changes rest of season prospects.  The problem with the SF pass catchers is that there are too many.  Kittle, Goodwin, Pettis, Kendrick Bourne, and were supposed to also have Hurd and Trent Taylor.  With Hurd and Taylor now on IR, it makes it a little less crowded. 

21 minutes ago, CooL said:

It doesn't change what's happened already, but I think it surely changes rest of season prospects.  The problem with the SF pass catchers is that there are too many.  Kittle, Goodwin, Pettis, Kendrick Bourne, and were supposed to also have Hurd and Trent Taylor.  With Hurd and Taylor now on IR, it makes it a little less crowded. 

The problem isn’t that there are too many pass catchers, the problem is that none of them, except Kittle, are very good/established. If someone commands touches through their play on the field, they aren’t going to be ignored. Nobody has done that yet, however.