Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Really liking this kid when filling out my bench

Reid likes Speed

Edited by wendellrott

1 minute ago, wendellrott said:

Reid likes Speed

I like him as well as a last pick or so.

Hyde will never get massive volume due to his style not fitting the system. I’m also not fully convinced that Williams is that great so there’s definitely intrigue. You can plug Trent Richardson into the Chiefs offense and you’d get at least RB2 production. 

11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I like him as well as a last pick or so.

Hyde will never get massive volume due to his style not fitting the system. I’m also not fully convinced that Williams is that great so there’s definitely intrigue. You can plug Trent Richardson into the Chiefs offense and you’d get at least RB2 production. 

Nope.  No offense can make Trent look good.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wendellrott said:

Reid likes Speed

I’ve been high on him all offseason, but speed is actually one of his weakest traits. At least long speed anyway (high 4.5s at his size). However, his quickness and explosion are off the charts.

Posted (edited)

My read:

Damien opens up as the 18 touch leader.  13 or so carries, 5 or so receptions.

Hyde always there for 6-8 rushes a game.

Darwin has the Chark role taking 2-3 receptions.

if Damien gets hurt, Darwin leapfrogs Hyde.  Hyde is there as far as I'm concerned to absorb rushes.  He adds zero value to the passing game.

Could be completely wrong of course.  I just get a feeling like we want Darwin more than Hyde as the cuff, and Darwin will be a darling late in the season.

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 2

Appended to that ^^ ...

13 carries at 4.6 per is 950 yds over 16.

5 rec at 8.8 per is 700 yds.

Get 12 total TDs and that's 14.7 ppg standard, RB9 territory.  19.7 ppg and RB6 in PPR.

That's only 210 total carries.  KC had 387 last year.  Leaves plenty for Hyde and WRs.  "RBBC, that's what we'll do here" ... and still the RB1 will be a stud.

Which is why it's important to grab Darwin, because Damien smells like Ajayi, Collins, Forsett, CJA, Jeremy Hill, [Insert Late Season RB Wavier Add Who Gets Drafted In The First 3 Rounds The Following Year] ... 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Nope.  No offense can make Trent look good.

As proven by the Iron lol

25 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Appended to that ^^ ...

Get 12 total TDs and that's 14.7 ppg standard, RB9 territory.  19.7 ppg and RB6 in PPR.

That's only 210 total carries.  KC had 387 last year.  Leaves plenty for Hyde and WRs.  "RBBC, that's what we'll do here" ... and still the RB1 will be a stud.

Which is why it's important to grab Darwin, because Damien smells like Ajayi, Collins, Forsett, CJA, Jeremy Hill, [Insert Late Season RB Wavier Add Who Gets Drafted In The First 3 Rounds The Following Year] ... 

I'm locked on Damien and Darwin is a premier handcuff

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, wendellrott said:

Reid likes Speed

Thompson has no speed.  Looking at his college highlights he looks slow to me - the competition was just slower in his highlights.  When playing against better teams, he got caught from behind a few times when he did get to the second level.

His draft profile backs up what I see in his film:

• Runs with inconsistent tempo
  • Slow to process traffic and recognize opportunity
  • Burst is below average
  • Not a dynamic runner and fits into "grinder" category
  • Doesn't have speed to keep runs flowing to the edge
  • Can be tracked down by linebackers on next level
  • Lacks short-area elusiveness to shake and reset the run

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darwin-thompson?id=32195448-4f51-0348-d88c-ebd0636e801c

His positives to me are good balance and low center of gravity.  In college he could get yards after contact because of those areas of strength for him. In college, defenders need good discipline and sound tackling to corral him.  Can he do that in NFL though?  In the NFL defenders will be bigger and faster, and better coached, so they should be able to bring him down easier and if loses yards after contact, he would likely be liability with his lack of burst. 

Edited by nine9s

25 minutes ago, nine9s said:

Thompson has no speed.  Looking at his college highlights he looks slow to me - the competition was just slower in his highlights.  When playing against better teams, he got caught from behind a few times when he did get to the second level.

His draft profile backs up what I see in his film:

• Runs with inconsistent tempo
  • Slow to process traffic and recognize opportunity
  • Burst is below average
  • Not a dynamic runner and fits into "grinder" category
  • Doesn't have speed to keep runs flowing to the edge
  • Can be tracked down by linebackers on next level
  • Lacks short-area elusiveness to shake and reset the run

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darwin-thompson?id=32195448-4f51-0348-d88c-ebd0636e801c

His positives to me are good balance and low center of gravity.  In college he could get yards after contact because of those areas of strength for him. In college, defenders need good discipline and sound tackling to corral him.  Can he do that in NFL though?  In the NFL defenders will be bigger and faster, and better coached, so they should be able to bring him down easier and if loses yards after contact, he would likely be liability with his lack of burst. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/darwin-thompson/

Good call on the lack of burst.

Reid is on record as calling him a charcandrick west clone...that doesn't scream bell cow to me if he were to get an opp...but stuff happens... 

23 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Agree.  I won't compare him to Alvin Kamara by any means, but let's hope like Kamara's rookie year when he was buried third on the preseason depth chart behind Ingram and AP that he will vault to the top.

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, Lord_Varys said:

Appended to that ^^ ...

I've been singing the same song on this forum for years now.

RBs that come on the stage late in the season have SO much advantages (playing beat up defenses, being fresh themselves, teams not game planning for them, teams having limited film on them, and etc etc). That's why so many flat out JAG dudes put up RB1 numbers last third of the season and look good when in reality the rest of their career indicates them to be not very good. Damian Williams is a prime example and candidate for this.

Thompson is going borderline 14th round. I do expect him to be somewhere in the 12th round by late August but that is still ridiculous value for what you get. That's the value he should have if they had Hunt as their back. However, they have a dude that has 733 career rushing yards in 5 seasons as their starter and another guy that doesn't fit their system other than to grind out yards. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

Know who else lacks top-end speed, but has great balance, ability to break tackles, and vision?

Kareem Hunt.
David Montgomery.
Le'Veon Bell. 
Alvin Kamara.
Also guys like David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, etc. to an extent.

Sprinter speed is one of the most overrated aspects to quality NFL RBs. Give me a mid-4.5's guy with exceptional balance who can catch and block every day.

• Like 1

I’m a little surprised, if any of you guys have gone to the Damien thread, how everyone is arguing about Hyde and Williams but no one is worried about Darrell Williams and Thompson. I don’t dare most on that thread for my own sanity but i see Thompson or Da. Williams eating into Damien then Hyde. 

Chiefs RB Darwin Thompson split 1st-team goal-line reps with RB Damien Williams in Tuesday's practice, according to ESPN's Adam Teicher. RB coach Deland McCullough said afterward that it was a direct result of Thompson's impressive showing in the preseason opener, when he carried 5 times for 22 yards and scored a 29-yard receiving TD. “He’s a strong runner," McCullough said. “He’s got a great center of gravity. He’s a guy that can get skinny and get up through some holes, too. More importantly, he’s done some things to warrant that opportunity to get some reps with the (starters). He showed some flashes in the last game." 

This is how it's supposed to work. Rookie comes in to the back of the depth chart. Only thru performance does he get to move up.  And it's started. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UcanTry said:

I’m a little surprised, if any of you guys have gone to the Damien thread, how everyone is arguing about Hyde and Williams but no one is worried about Darrell Williams and Thompson. I don’t dare most on that thread for my own sanity but i see Thompson or Da. Williams eating into Damien then Hyde. 

Shhhh let the apes battle it out while the rest of us reap the rewards from the other side

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Chiefs RB Darwin Thompson split 1st-team goal-line reps with RB Damien Williams in Tuesday's practice, according to ESPN's Adam Teicher. RB coach Deland McCullough said afterward that it was a direct result of Thompson's impressive showing in the preseason opener, when he carried 5 times for 22 yards and scored a 29-yard receiving TD. “He’s a strong runner," McCullough said. “He’s got a great center of gravity. He’s a guy that can get skinny and get up through some holes, too. More importantly, he’s done some things to warrant that opportunity to get some reps with the (starters). He showed some flashes in the last game."

This is how it's supposed to work. Rookie comes in to the back of the depth chart. Only thru performance does he get to move up.  And it's started. 

That pass protection block did more than draw oohs and ahhs from the crowd, it would seem.

2 hours ago, elroypedro said:

😬

"Welcome to the NFL rook!"

• Like 2

This kid has the juice to be a league winner out of the last rd of your draft...

• Like 1

He’s continuing to get some first team reps in practice through the PS game this week.  He’s starting to build some good credibility.

• Like 1