wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

Its not a report, it's one beat writers speculation. 

It's reality. McCoy is not being brought in with basically a bigger guaranteed contract than Damien Williams to sit on the bench. He's going to play a lot. I don't know who's more important on special teams in this situation (if any), but there's also a real path to Thompson not even dressing to start the year. It'll either be him or Darrel. They aren't rolling out all of them.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has dropped this yet on the thread, or do we only do it for baseball?

Goodnight sweet prince.

But really I'm holding for now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

not really much different than holding Justice Hill. D-Will+ Shady ahead of Darwin while Ingram+Gus are ahead of Hill

Very different. Hill has all but officially moved ahead of Gus, maybe officially even by now.  Either way HIll and Ingram will be somthing of a RBBC with Ingram getting the larger share for now.  I’d expect this to be very similar to Ingram/Kamara in Saints backfield previously.  Gus would take over Ingram’s role theoretically if Ingram got injured, but even that’s not guaranteed with how Hill has looked.

right now I’m pretty certain me, other fantasy hobbyists and the Ravens staff view Hill as being capable of more than just being a CoP guy.  He could eventually be a 3 down back, or at least close to it with perhaps Gus taking some Goalline touches.

That is a very different situation in 2019 than the KC situation and it’s effect on Darwin.  I still like him enough long term.  But for this year he’s at best 3rd on the depth chart if not 4th.  Hill should have much much greater value this season than Thompson.

Edited by brakeyawself

10 hours ago, LongBalls said:

Hill has a way easier path to relevance than Thompson. Ingram's new to the Ravens system and Edwards is just a guy. Thompson has to leapfrog the heir apparent in Williams, and the head coach's buddy McCoy. If someone offered me Hill in trade for Thompson right now I couldn't hit the "accept" button fast enough.

Any Hill owner would be crazy to do that at any point this summer.  I’m still shocked that two weeks of preseason performance caused Thompson to be drafted ahead of Hill in many redrafts and many dynasty/keepers.

I don’t think there was ever a point since the nfl draft that Thompson has looked like a better or more complete back than Hill.

Thompson getting drafted ahead of Hill was always FOMO bait and those that bit are currently caught with the reprocussions of making such a silly choice.

if Thompson even comes close to having the career I think Hill could have, ill eat my words with some whipped cream and sprinkles.

Edited by brakeyawself
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Evincar said:

Most people drafted Darwin in rounds 7-10. He's probably not the most expendable guy on most people's bench.

Damarea Crockett has been going in the 2nd and 3rd round of rookie drafts the past 2 weeks and I’m sure he was a late round flier in some redrafts ahead of guys like Armstead and Ollison who are clearly better short and long term RBs.

Now Hyde goes to Houston and Crockett gets sent to the practice squad and won’t even be on the opening day roster.  Darwin isn’t Crockett by any means but I think you get the point.

Hes now at best a hold at worst droppable depending on league size and type.

Edited by brakeyawself

I know Shady got a nice offer, but until we see how this plays out over the next few weeks I’m trusting the eye test and holding Thompson.

• Like 2

doesn't look good, had to reach for him too to hedge my Williams pick. Now they both are screwed. Majority of you guys dropping before week 1 or waiting to play out week 1?

5 hours ago, brosephd said:

doesn't look good, had to reach for him too to hedge my Williams pick. Now they both are screwed. Majority of you guys dropping before week 1 or waiting to play out week 1?

I dropped for Malcom brown

To be honest you shouldn’t be dropping unless it’s a league with short benches or less than 12 teams. No reason not to at least wait to see how things shake out. At this point you’d be grabbing an undrafted player that’s just as much of a dart throw, if not worse.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

To be honest you shouldn’t be dropping unless it’s a league with short benches or less than 12 teams. No reason not to at least wait to see how things shake out. At this point you’d be grabbing an undrafted player that’s just as much of a dart throw, if not worse.

I dropped for Malcom brown and Hill in another just now. At this point I don't see the point in holding Darwin. He's obviously behind Damien and Shady. You're waiting for him to become the #2 again

Im holding and waiting for some coach commentary on Wednesday. Anything can happen in this backfield. Reid can come out and say McCoy is the feature back, Damien is the feature back, RBBC, or that it is an open competition for the starting job. If we get anything like the latter 2 statements I keep Darwin, if not hes likely a drop.

3 hours ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Im holding and waiting for some coach commentary on Wednesday. Anything can happen in this backfield. Reid can come out and say McCoy is the feature back, Damien is the feature back, RBBC, or that it is an open competition for the starting job. If we get anything like the latter 2 statements I keep Darwin, if not hes likely a drop.

I don't have the quote directly, it's on the SHady thread I believe, but Reid said something to the effect of he "Considers McCoy and Williams to be co starters" and "very lucky situation for the team to be in".

[...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

11 hours ago, brosephd said:

I wouldnt be too concerned about owning 2/3rds of the backfield in the best offense in the league. 

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

I wouldnt be too concerned about owning 2/3rds of the backfield in the best offense in the league. 

Except Thompson isn't actually a third of it.

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

1/4?

Williams is a very capable receiver, and we all know what McCoy could (and probably still can) do. I'm thinking he's more like 1/10. Regardless, he's not worth rostering in leagues of standard depth. There's no reason for the Chiefs to give him enough touches in a game to sniff fantasy relevance any time soon.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, whadeeb said:

i just took the next stop and got off the train

I'm doing the same either picking up terry mclaurin or mecole hardman. Darwins essentially dead weight this year unless injury

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:29 PM, whadeeb said:

i just took the next stop and got off the train

☝️☝️☝️

20 hours ago, scheibler said:

I dropped for Malcom brown and Hill in another just now. At this point I don't see the point in holding Darwin. He's obviously behind Damien and Shady. You're waiting for him to become the #2 again

Both should be drafted so I’d say this is outside the range of possible pickups for most leagues. In the rare instance they’re FA then sure, go for it.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:19 PM, hankmurphy said:

I know Shady got a nice offer, but until we see how this plays out over the next few weeks I’m trusting the eye test and holding Thompson.

the only test that matters at this point is the usage test, there are 3 guys in this backfield.  all 3 guys should be a hold but everyone needs to be prepared to drop which ever is on the short end of the stick and right now it looks like Thompson is the one who will be without a chair when the music stops

week 1 hasnt played yet so possibly wait and see approach. but not sure if it's a lost cause. the only thing that can save this train after week 1 is a one or 2 serious injuries. not expecting anything this week however against a tough match up vs. jacksonville. perhaps a swap with malcom brown where it's rumored he'd be the starting back over henderson if something were to happen to gurley.

Edited by brosephd