wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

Either Damien Williams or LeSean McCoy has been the Chiefs’ featured back on 119 of 129 plays this season, or 92 percent. Neither was participating in the early portion of practice on Wednesday because of injuries. Darrel Williams and rookie Darwin Thompson, who between them have 10 plays this season, would be in line to get the work on Sunday against the Ravens. Thompson, a sixth-round draft pick, was impressive in training camp and the preseason and looked like he would get a portion of the work in the regular season until the Chiefs signed McCoy. Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass blocker before he gets a lot of playing time. “As long as I feel like he knows what he’s doing, I’m good with it,’’ Reid said. “He’ll stick it up in there and hit you. It’s just a matter of seeing it. He’s young so he hasn’t seen everything there is to see. He’s getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.’’”

-Adam Teicher, ESPN Chiefs reporter

Drafted Darwin but have since dropped him. Still squarely on my radar however. If Shady and Williams miss this weekend, I think we could see his coming out party. Just a matter of gaining Andy’s trust in pass protection.

• Like 1

If Williams is out, it's looking like a 75/25 split with McCoy and Thompson.

Just now, Pooskay said:

if mccoy is taking 75%, my money is on him hurting himself more than he already is.

5 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

if mccoy is taking 75%, my money is on him hurting himself more than he already is.

Yeah. No way in hell McCoy get's anything more then 60. Darwin will have plenty of opportunities. Also think Darrel Williams gets involved too. 

I'm not sure how much McCoy playing or not affects Darwin.  If he doesn't play, those runs may go to Darrel anyways.  McCoy was the preferred runner and Damien the preferred receiver so Damien being out provides the necessary window to keep this train chugging through Sunday.

• Like 1

Makes me feel good as a Williams owner i was able to scoop up this kid for free yesterday before more ominous news on Williams comes out. If Williams can't even get in a limited practice today i'm leaning towards he has a bone bruise and more like the Josh McRoberts kind of bone bruise. 

17 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

are we so sure Shady is gonna be a GO!

it says he's "expected" to practice/work today, not "will practice/work"

he was also expected to practice/work yesterday

• Like 1

This is set up for a Dar Dar breakout game.  Williams OUT. Shady gonna give a go on less than 100% hobbled ankle.  Old shady ineffectiveness will illuminate the blazing Thompson.  Darwin leads the backfield by week6. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

are we so sure Shady is gonna be a GO!

it says he's "expected" to practice/work today, not "will practice/work"

he was also expected to practice/work yesterday

Doesn't really matter. Same as I said in the Conner thread. None of this matters. We'll see who practices tomorrow. If they both do? He's useless outside of deep/dynasty leagues. If either doesn't practice tomorrow? He might be worth a spec add, though I'd hesitate on that because if, say, Williams is only out for a week, are you starting Darwin? Right. So next week he's a backup to a backup again, and he's useless.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Doesn't really matter. Same as I said in the Conner thread. None of this matters. We'll see who practices tomorrow. If they both do? He's useless outside of deep/dynasty leagues. If either doesn't practice tomorrow? He might be worth a spec add, though I'd hesitate on that because if, say, Williams is only out for a week, are you starting Darwin? Right. So next week he's a backup to a backup again, and he's useless.

i have plenty of RB depth ... playing the long game here - hell, i'd snag EZ Ed Podolak if he came outta retirement - i want a piece of this Chiefs gig, so, yeah- if both Shady/DWilly sit, i might flex the kid.

udderwise i just sit back n' wait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darwin will shine catching passes out of the backfield if Williams is out. Baltimore is like a brick wall to run against but Darwin can house one off a wheel route or screen. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

He might be worth a spec add, though I'd hesitate on that because if, say, Williams is only out for a week, are you starting Darwin? Right. So next week he's a backup to a backup again, and he's useless.

Are you sure about that?  What happens if Thompson posts a strong game while Williams and McCoy were out or hobbled?  You think he just goes back to the bench because Williams is just too good?

Let me just outline this because it seems that people don't really understand how practice time relates to playing on Sunday. W, Th, F are practice days. Y/N is whether or not they practiced.

W: Y, Th: Y, F: Y = Playing

W: Y, Th: N, = Not Playing

W: Y, Th: Y, F: N = Not Playing

W: N, Th: Y, F: Y = Playing

W: N, Th: N, F: Y = Playing

W: N, Th: N, F: N = Not Playing, unless it's one of the many veterans that doesn't practice for maintenance purposes

Does that make sense? If you don't practice until Friday, you were probably getting rested or the team was playing it safe, and if you practice early in the week and suddenly can't, you probably had an injury/setback and won't play. You're just sweating over nothing because you're unable to draw any conclusions until a player's status actually changes. Wait until Friday.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Don’t think like this

2 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Are you sure about that?  What happens if Thompson posts a strong game while Williams and McCoy were out or hobbled?  You think he just goes back to the bench because Williams is just too good?

Yes, most likely. And I'm not a Williams/McCoy owner and I own Darwin. I don't expect a solid one week performance to vault him above guys that are just sitting for a week.

Last time I checked, Shady can catch passes too. So, unless he's out I'm not touching. However, he's an immediate flex option if both Shady and DW are unavailable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Let me just outline this because it seems that people don't really understand how practice time relates to playing on Sunday. W, Th, F are practice days. Y/N is whether or not they practiced.

W: Y, Th: Y, F: Y = Playing

W: Y, Th: N, = Not Playing

W: Y, Th: Y, F: N = Not Playing

W: N, Th: Y, F: Y = Playing

W: N, Th: N, F: Y = Playing

W: N, Th: N, F: N = Not Playing, unless it's one of the many veterans that doesn't practice for maintenance purposes

Does that make sense? If you don't practice until Friday, you were probably getting rested or the team was playing it safe, and if you practice early in the week and suddenly can't, you probably had an injury/setback and won't play. You're just sweating over nothing because you're unable to draw any conclusions until a player's status actually changes. Wait until Friday.

Why are you going out of your way to show something that’s already should be understood to the fantasy community. Waste of a post....

if if you have room and play the wait game either Darwin do it!!

Edited by Watitdookie

2 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

I guess with Thompson, as opposed to a lot of these other situations where people are being ridiculous, it is more of a possibility with Thompson. I think that with Williams out / Thompson playing great, Williams is still probably the lead back next week, but he could easily eat into Shady's work, and more if he has a couple of standout games in a row. I still would rather roster guys (Mattison) that have just one hurdle to jump at the moment, rather than two.

Just now, Watitdookie said:

Why are you going out of your way to show something that’s already should be understood to the fantasy community. Waste of a post

It clearly isn't, as evidenced by this thread and the Conner thread. Don't drag your dirty laundry from the Ty Johnson thread in here.

2 hours ago, mattman444 said:

Either Damien Williams or LeSean McCoy has been the Chiefs’ featured back on 119 of 129 plays this season, or 92 percent. Neither was participating in the early portion of practice on Wednesday because of injuries. Darrel Williams and rookie Darwin Thompson, who between them have 10 plays this season, would be in line to get the work on Sunday against the Ravens. Thompson, a sixth-round draft pick, was impressive in training camp and the preseason and looked like he would get a portion of the work in the regular season until the Chiefs signed McCoy. Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass blocker before he gets a lot of playing time. “As long as I feel like he knows what he’s doing, I’m good with it,’’ Reid said. “He’ll stick it up in there and hit you. It’s just a matter of seeing it. He’s young so he hasn’t seen everything there is to see. He’s getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.’’”

-Adam Teicher, ESPN Chiefs reporter

Drafted Darwin but have since dropped him. Still squarely on my radar however. If Shady and Williams miss this weekend, I think we could see his coming out party. Just a matter of gaining Andy’s trust in pass protection.

Lol - I just copied that to paste here!

It looks like the concern with Thompson is blocking assignments and pass rush recognition.  I know everyone's hyped to plug him in if one of the starters is out, but, playing against the Ravens, this might not be the week to do it.  Mahomes is already a little gimpy from week 1, and I'm not sure they put Darwin out there much against a good rush if they have concerns about his pass-pro.

Just a thought.  

3 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Yes, most likely. And I'm not a Williams/McCoy owner and I own Darwin. I don't expect a solid one week performance to vault him above guys that are just sitting for a week.

This is not a binary situation.  Ask the Williams owners before the season started who were convinced it was.

The hype train for Darwin is getting a little crazy IMHO.  Even under the best-case scenario where both Damien and Shady are out this week, it will probably be around a 50/50 split between Thompson and Darrel Williams.  The Chiefs really like Darrel too, so don't forget about him.  That would probably make him flexable for Week 3, but not much more.  Then what happens when Shady and Damien come back, likely in Week 4?  I can't see Thompson running away with the job - Reid will likely just go back to the Damien/McCoy split. 

So while he may be a good play for Week 3 if Shady and Damien both sit out, I don't see too much long-term value here unless there are a bunch of injuries ahead of him.  This backfield is looking like a mess, and Thompson is currently 3rd on the depth chart.  So unless you're in a super deep league and have lots of bench spots to stash guys in case of injuries ahead of them, I'd probably leave him on the wire for now.

• Like 1