wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

I'll come in here and eat crow on Monday but as long as McCoy plays I just don't see Darwin doing much. With no byes yet you'd have to be pretty desperate at RB to even consider rolling him out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SGagne said:

I'd rather have the quick back versus the bruiser back in this system. But if what Andy said is holding true about needing to learn his assignments better he has work to do. 

I understand. I think both will have value and a role is all my point is. I don't think Darwin just runs away with the job. 

36 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'll come in here and eat crow on Monday but as long as McCoy plays I just don't see Darwin doing much. With no byes yet you'd have to be pretty desperate at RB to even consider rolling him out there. 

There’s nothing for you to eat crow on come Monday. It’s not like anyone is starting him unless they’re in a deep league. People are holding as a flier for the future simple as that. There’s nothing wrong with putting a guy on the end of your bench if you have room to see what happens. Not sure why so many people have such a problem trying to grasp this concept. It seems as though the shallow leaguers are the most confused. Deep leaguers, keepers and dynasty owners all know why he is on their rosters. 

- when a player is hyped it’s always wise to put in context according to your league size/roster size. I see all too many times in these threads a player is hyped more for deep leagues yet shallow leaguers start adding them only to get upset when they don’t produce as a top 100 type player. 

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

Some analysts say Darrel Williams is the short term pickup and not darwin

Certainly could be since we're all guessing.  Just don't see the upside with Darrel absent goalline carries (which he very well could get).

Looking long term, is it possible Darwin is the starter next year? Damien nothing special. And remains to be seen how much Shady has left. He’d be a great keeper hold right now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

All those links you provided to back this up is amazing. 

Anyone know what the score was when Darrel entered the game?

Asking seriously...

If it was a tight game, then Darrel could be next man up now...

If the game was way in favor of the Chiefs then Reid could have been getting him reps in a game that was in the bag and conserving Darwin because of the nature of the DWill injury...in any event talent trumps all in the Chiefs system and I think Darwin is going to be a major contributor behind an already injured journeyman and an inj prone veteran in McCoy...I think the backfield ends up being Darwin and Darrel 70/30 by mideseason due to history of other backs and talent...keep Darwin for now ...and for later...

4 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Darwin will be playing. Williams is going to be ruled out

Do these guys not troll RW forums how do you not mention the future goat?

• Haha 1

^^Am I missing something? I didn't even hear Darwin's name mentioned.

Edited by RoseLin23

Just now, RoseLin23 said:

^^Am I missing something. I didn't even hear Darwin's name mentioned.

ditto, at first i thought i just missed it 'cuz i was marvelling at the pancakes on either side of Siciliano's head 🥞

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

^^Am I missing something? I didn't even hear Darwin's name mentioned.

It's all good. He's still out there on a couple of leagues I'm in.

Shhhh....

Good read here about the KC v BAL matchup that might delay this hype train another week:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/18/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-offense-ravens-defense-deep-dive

To summarize, Baltimore had success vs KC in the playoffs last year by blitzing often.  Baltimore's blitz scheme is very complex.

KC's starting left tackle is out.  And, to repeat what was previously quoted, this is what Andy Reid had to say regarding Darwin:

[Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass-blocker before he gets a lot of playing time.] "As long as I feel like he knows what he's doing, I'm good with it,'' Reid said. "He'll stick it up in there and hit you. It's just a matter of seeing it. He's young, so he hasn't seen everything there is to see. He's getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.'']

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/nfl_32for3291919/biggest-week-3-injury-questions-all-32-nfl-teams-latest-johnson-singletary-williams-more

Mahomes tweaked his ankle week 1, and now KC's going to be playing with a backup left tackle against a team that likes to blitz often, blitzes well, and employs complex blitz combinations.

Not sure that's going to provide the best opportunity to break out for a rookie who's biggest barrier to playing time is pass pro assignments and rush recognition. 

I could be wrong, but that's what's keeping me from throwing him in there for Williams this week.

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

this feels like darwin thompson will have 7 carries for 6 yards

I think you’re being overly optimistic with the 7 carries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Good read here about the KC v BAL matchup that might delay this hype train another week:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/18/patrick-mahomes-chiefs-offense-ravens-defense-deep-dive

To summarize, Baltimore had success vs KC in the playoffs last year by blitzing often.  Baltimore's blitz scheme is very complex.

KC's starting left tackle is out.  And, to repeat what was previously quoted, this is what Andy Reid had to say regarding Darwin:

[Coach Andy Reid said he wants to make sure Thompson knows his assignments as a pass-blocker before he gets a lot of playing time.] "As long as I feel like he knows what he's doing, I'm good with it,'' Reid said. "He'll stick it up in there and hit you. It's just a matter of seeing it. He's young, so he hasn't seen everything there is to see. He's getting there. I feel comfortable with him in there.'']

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/nfl_32for3291919/biggest-week-3-injury-questions-all-32-nfl-teams-latest-johnson-singletary-williams-more

Mahomes tweaked his ankle week 1, and now KC's going to be playing with a backup left tackle against a team that likes to blitz often, blitzes well, and employs complex blitz combinations.

Not sure that's going to provide the best opportunity to break out for a rookie who's biggest barrier to playing time is pass pro assignments and rush recognition. 

I could be wrong, but that's what's keeping me from throwing him in there for Williams this week.

im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

im not so convinced that the Ravens D we saw last year is the same this year. They likely took a step down. Consider that they have played the Dolphins and Cardinals.

On top of that they have several big departures on D including;

S Eric Weddle (Signed E Thomas, so upgrade here)
OLB Terrell Suggs
OLB Zadarius Smith (wrecking OLs for the Packers now)
ILB CJ Mosley (one of the top inside linebackers in the league)
Slot CB Tavon Young (neck injury, likely out for season)

(Linebackers tend to cover RB's on routes, much weaker linebacking core this season)

Ravens D could easily be exposed next week by Mahomes & Co. IMO

Jimmy Smith is also hurt and not playing 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

14 hours ago, jujus-jujubees said:

All those links you provided to back this up is amazing. 

His name is Mathew Berry.  He himself is an analyst.   Duh.  

I hope this doesn’t turn into a repeat of the Robert Turbin 2015 thread. 

I want to get more excited.  I think the only way I’ll get off the edge of my seat is if I wake up Sunday morning and see “Damien Williams and LeSean McCoy are officially inactive for week 3”. I can see so many ways this flops.  McCoy could get all the carries.  Williams can somehow end up playing.  Darrell Williams gets the bulk of the snaps.  The path just does t seem as clear for Darwin.