wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

27 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Damien is 5’11” and 225 lbs, that’s prototypical bell cow back size. Darwin is 5’8” and 198 lbs. I like the guy quite a bit and he looks electric, but let’s pump the brakes a little. 

Darwin doesn't pump his brakes...neither do I.  Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.  

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I'll be...

d787925d866b68d8102f7170adebdae6.jpg

...this season!

Edited by dfstout

1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

We are at a Darwin walk right now, which is the equivalent of a Brady sprint.  

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897b525c7bb90b0c9271c

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Are we starting with the size thing yet again? Does this require yet another listing of prolific NFL RBs who were considered undersized?  Including some of the best rushers in NFL history and some FF uberstuds?

Do you believe he starts games this year for the Chiefs over a healthy Damien? Edit: not that I think he has to to provide value, I’m just curious. 

Edited by JoeJoe88

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Do you believe he starts games this year for the Chiefs over a healthy Damien? Edit: not that I think he has to to provide value, I’m just curious. 

My opinion?  No, not in the beginning of the regular season.

I think barring an eye popping event by Thompson in week 3 PS that Williams begins week 1 as RB1.  I do think this provides an opportunity - barring a complete faceplant by Thompson in week 3 PS - that this will get Thompson some regular season workload.  After that, if it does happen, it’s anyone’s guess how it moves forward through the season.  A complete RBBC, one of the two taking hold of the RB1 work, who knows?  But I do think it makes a dent in Williams’ workload and puts him at risk.  And it’s been my position all along that Williams does not have any kind of evidence that shows invulnerability to a guy like Thompson stealing his lunch money.

Edited by Bronco Billy

11 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Do you believe he starts games this year for the Chiefs over a healthy Damien? 

If Phillip Lindsay can do it so can Darwin. Chiefs have very little investment on Damien and if Darwin becomes the more effective weapon for them there’s no stopping Andy Reid from making the switch. 

If this were almost any other team, this wouldn’t be an issue either.  We’d be debating whether either guy could possibly break into the FF RB2 plateau.  But being KC and having Reid there, there’s a buttload of FF pts just waiting for a RB or maybe 2 to get hold of.  This kind of stuff can be season shaking (or in the case of Williams owners right now, season breaking).

9 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Is Darwin the 2019 Courtland Sutton? 

The hype train that never delivered? 

11 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Is Darwin the 2019 Courtland Sutton? 

Rather the 2017 Kamara or the 2018 Lindsay ..... hopefully 😄

So Reid said one good thing about this dude  and everyone is overhyping already. Like someone mentioned above. If Carlos Hyde were to leave KC, then I would start to get somewhat excited. 

35 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

If this were almost any other team, this wouldn’t be an issue either.  We’d be debating whether either guy could possibly break into the FF RB2 plateau.  But being KC and having Reid there, there’s a buttload of FF pts just waiting for a RB or maybe 2 to get hold of.  This kind of stuff can be season shaking (or in the case of Williams owners right now, season breaking).

If there are any Williams owners as of right now in a redraft, they've had plenty of time to grab Darwin for free and if Williams doesn't produce, hardly ...season breaking, unless you are just talking about your buddy elpedo or whatever. 

Went from 6 to 12 with this guy based off Andy's statement!! 

I have him everywhere. 100% ownership in best ball, nabbed him in my dynasty rookie draft, nabbed him late in a couple of my redrafts already...

But we’re at the point I’m gonna have to start passing, I think. My brother just finished a best ball and he went in the 7th round. That’s too high. I loved him when he was basically free for all the reasons stated here, but it’s not like he’s free of downside. If Williams comes out and crushes it in the first couple of games - which is highly possible since that’s exactly what he did last year when he started - then Thompson’s only likely to get his chance if Williams gets hurt, rather than taking over for him. And who knows what role Hyde plays. At a certain point you just have to back away.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

So Reid said one good thing about this dude  and everyone is overhyping already. Like someone mentioned above. If Carlos Hyde were to leave KC, then I would start to get somewhat excited. 

I could care less what Reid says. I'm just watching him play and basing my excitement off of that. He's simply more dynamic than Hyde and *arguably* can be more dynamic than Williams if he either struggles or gets hurt.

It's hard for an RB to struggle in KC though, to be fair, so Williams will have to really screw this up

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

I have him everywhere. 100% ownership in best ball, nabbed him in my dynasty rookie draft, nabbed him late in a couple of my redrafts already...

But we’re at the point I’m gonna have to start passing, I think. My brother just finished a best ball and he went in the 7th round. That’s too high. I loved him when he was basically free for all the reasons stated here, but it’s not like he’s free of downside. If Williams comes out and crushes it in the first couple of games - which is highly possible since that’s exactly what he did last year when he started - then Thompson’s only likely to get his chance if Williams gets hurt, rather than taking over for him. And who knows what role Hyde plays. At a certain point you just have to back away.

Logic in fantasy football? Who knew?

But in all seriousness, I agree. The cards are not really in his favor to begin the year, but things can change pretty rapidly (injuries, suspensions, etc)

2 minutes ago, kball09 said:

It's hard for an RB to struggle in KC though, to be fair, so Williams will have to really screw this up

That is what is so exciting about this whole situation.  I question whether the Damien Williams success is based more on his skill versus the amazing opportunity anyone with a beating heart and two legs could probably do well in. 

43 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

That is what is so exciting about this whole situation.  I question whether the Damien Williams success is based more on his skill versus the amazing opportunity anyone with a beating heart and two legs could probably do well in. 

It makes me wonder a little bit about Hunt tbh.  He's obviously better than Williams but iirc, we wasn't expected to be at the top of that RB class. 

And this goes back to the convos about Leveon Bell, Conner, CJ Anderson etc etc. Are these players realllly good or are the lines they were behind in previous years just built to make a good running back? 

You put Joe Mixon on KC and he might be the consensus #1 pick. You put K Hunt on the Dolphins and maybe we are arguing about drafting him in the 4th round.

At WORST, you could argue Thompson is the most valuable handcuff in fantasy, assuming you have eyeballs and realize Hyde is not good anymore.

1 minute ago, kball09 said:

And this goes back to the convos about Leveon Bell, Conner, CJ Anderson etc etc. Are these players realllly good or are the lines they were behind in previous years just built to make a good running back? 

You put Joe Mixon on KC and he might be the consensus #1 pick. You put K Hunt on the Dolphins and maybe we are arguing about drafting him in the 4th round.

At WORST, you could argue Thompson is the most valuable handcuff in fantasy, assuming you have eyeballs and realize Hyde is not good anymore.

I'd rank Henderson higher right now. Thompson's role is still yet to be determined.

8 minutes ago, kball09 said:

In my opinion. . .Bell is good. Conner is younger 49er version Carlos Hyde so he’s ok but overrated. CJ Anderson is meh. Hunt is good but helped by the kc system sure. 

Are there any signs of Hyde getting cut other than the fact that Darwin's showed early promise?   I mean, they'll need 3 backs, i suppose Darrell Williams is also still there.   Any local beat writers saying he's getting third team reps, or on the bubble, or anything?