wendellrott

Darwin Thompson 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JP_Grizzly said:

If Phillip Lindsay can do it so can Darwin. Chiefs have very little investment on Damien and if Darwin becomes the more effective weapon for them there’s no stopping Andy Reid from making the switch. 

Thompson isn't nearly as talented as Lindsey is. He's not very fast and doesn't have as good hands as Lindsay does. He doesn't even have the speed and hands that Damien Williams has and he's not a world-beater. I think Thompson might be getting overhyped at this point.

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Are there any signs of Hyde getting cut other than the fact that Darwin's showed early promise?   I mean, they'll need 3 backs, i suppose Darrell Williams is also still there.   Any local beat writers saying he's getting third team reps, or on the bubble, or anything?

Just speculation from beat writers.  It wouldn't surprise me if Darrel or Hyde either one got cut, but I suspect they'll probably keep all four.  I'm a Damien guy, but I definitely think there's something there with Darwin.  I don't see much point in rostering the other Williams or Hyde at this point.  If Darwin hasn't leapfrogged them yet, he will soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whatisfootball said:

So is Darrell Williamsn completely out of the picture? Wasn’t he hyped as the rb to own before Damien took the job?

I think he is quietly positioning himself to be a factor (later in season).

He can do everything that is required of a back in this offense, he's def not special but he has some solid traits...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

Thompson isn't nearly as talented as Lindsey is. He's not very fast and doesn't have as good hands as Lindsay does. He doesn't even have the speed and hands that Damien Williams has and he's not a world-beater. I think Thompson might be getting overhyped at this point.

Do we know for sure darwin doesnt have as good of hands as those two? 

And well.. I mean speed and good hands isn't everything. I think darwin could be alot like ray rice. Who was also 5'8 198 lbs and not very fast.

But ray rice's are rare odds are hes a no one. 

19 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Do we know for sure darwin doesnt have as good of hands as those two? 

And well.. I mean speed and good hands isn't everything. I think darwin could be alot like ray rice. Who was also 5'8 198 lbs and not very fast.

His position has been consistent across threads that Thompson will be a non-factor in the KC offense.  It appears that no additional information will make him waiver in his conviction.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

Long speed maybe I’m assuming your referring to 40 time(4.44 Lindsay vs 4.50 Thompson) here but in terms of metrics Darwin is more explosive than Lindsay. I’m referring to their burst score(stop and start acceleration) 72nd percentile for Lindsay and Darwin scores 91st percentile. To put that into perspective Alvin Kamara ran 4.56 40 time but his burst score is in the 95th percentile. 

To me Darwin passes the eye test. The guy is explosive, breaks tackles and has shown so far the vision of a great RB.

He has full support of the staff and if you’re telling me the only hurdle in his way to fantasy stardom is damien Williams who is unproven back fighting to keep his starter role then I’ll take my chances with Darwin cuz he’s shown nothing but excellence so far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I think darwin could be alot like ray rice. Who was also 5'8 198 lbs and not very fast.

Darwin doesn't even come close to reminding me of Ray Rice. I'm not sure where you're getting your stats for Rice but he played around 210+ pounds and was a lot thicker than Darwin. Rice was closer to the MJD spectrum for small guys and Darwin isn't even close to that in terms of stature. Also I'm not sure why you think Rice was slow when he ran a 4.42 at his pro day and a 4.47 at the combine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

WWWDD

What Would Warrick Dunn DO

Warrick Dunn, Florida State, RB
5-7, 180lbs

At first glance, Dunn looks like a small scat back who could be used only as a third down back. He’s small, quick, and has great receiving skills, but Dunn is much more then a third down back, and many scouts believe he has the ability to be a successful every down back in the NFL. He has surprising strength for his size. His speed, agility, and balance should allow him to avoid ware and tear, giving him a greater chance to survive the pounding an NFL back receives. Even after he takes a hit, he maintains his balance and gets extra yardage. Still, his best asset is his excellent receiving skills and open field moves, which make him dangerous as a receiver out of the backfield. Dunn is someone who can not be covered by just a linebacker and opposing NFL teams will have to worry where he is at all times.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

His position has been consistent across threads that Thompson will be a non-factor in the KC offense.  It appears that no additional information will make him waiver in his conviction.

1. I'm pretty sure that this was the first post I've made about Thompson. I said I like Williams, yes, but it's putting words in my mouth to say I've knocked Thompson to this point, and I certainly haven't expressed any real conviction about it. 

2. Ray Rice's incorrect height and weight qualify as additional information? Even if they were the same size (which they're not), Ray Rice averaged 2000 yards from scrimmage and 22 tds/year his last 2 years of college in a real conference. He was miles ahead of Thompson and even he had to wait a year to get any real shot at production. 

Edited by P@ckersFan

Darwin Thompson aka The Evolution

Theory becomes Law this season...

I say he's sexy flexy by week 3...w Rb2 status on the rise...

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Darwin doesn't even come close to reminding me of Ray Rice. I'm not sure where you're getting your stats for Rice but he played around 210+ pounds and was a lot thicker than Darwin. Rice was closer to the MJD spectrum for small guys and Darwin isn't even close to that in terms of stature. Also I'm not sure why you think Rice was slow when he ran a 4.42 at his pro day and a 4.47 at the combine. 

Ok you dont see it. I do. Do biggie. Potato potata. 

I could be wrong about his 40 time I actually couldnt find a damn 40 time for the guy (nfl combine websites only list his agility drills) and he didnt run a 40 at his pro day according to rutgers pro day performance list he did everything but run the 40. I was having to go off reviews and watching him get caught from behind on most of his highlights. He has big plays but so did kareem hunt with his 4.60 speed.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ray-rice?id=941

Ray rice weighed in at his combine and pro day at 196 lbs. Maybe he cut weight to run a faster 40? Or maybe he was able to gain weight in his career darwin could do the latter he obviously cant go back in time and lose weight for his pro day 40. 

Everyone thinks MJD was like 230lbs. Hes listed as 207lbs. I've never seen anything list him over 210 and I assume that's because it's a nice round number.

One of Ray rice's reviews on the nfl combine website in the link above. (Lacks prototype break away speed)(lacks size to hold up against nfl pass rushers)

Edited by Stonej14

Posted (edited)

I'm definitely targeting Darwin in drafts.  I was going to go after Hyde due to the fact that I don't really believe in Damien Williams long term, but this looks like the guy now.

Edited by Slimzy17

8 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

1. I'm pretty sure that this was the first post I've made about Thompson. I said I like Williams, yes, but it's putting words in my mouth to say I've knocked Thompson to this point, and I certainly haven't expressed any real conviction about it. 

I must have you confused with someone else.  My apologies.

14 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

while i agree that darwin is not as fast as lindsey, and that lindsey has excellent hands, i see the "isn't nearly as talented" comparison as short-sighted: lindsey tip-toes through the hole and then uses his speed and maneuverability for excellent gain. darwin thompson is an RB powerful enough to squat 500 pounds (without a belt), and he uses his power to make holes, to make arm-tackling him impossible, to make excellent gain through both power and agility. two different styles, two different talents. to me, the main question is not, who is more talented, rather, will darwin thompson's strength tranlate into durability, because i don't see damien williams as durable, and the last-man standing in the chiefs backfield may be worth all the hype...

darwint.jpg

• Like 3

Ultimately, Darwin has the allure of a league winner if he gets the majority of the work in this backfield, while Hyde would become JUST useful in most people's eyes.

Posted (edited)

Several times, posters mention Darwin's high "burst score."

Darwin might prove to be a good NFL player but his SPARQ burst score is not indicative of what he does on the field.  The SPARQ Burst scores is "Burst Score sums a player’s Vertical Jump height and Broad Jump distance." It is trying to imply " indicates a player’s zero-inertia explosiveness (stop-and-start acceleration) and ability to catch the ball outside the body" but does it? In some cases it might match and in others cases, it probably does not as it is measuring jumping ability not running and often even running measurements on track conditions do not translate to what players can do in football.  Many players have football speed but are not good track runners and vice versa. So jumping on track conditions likely translates even less to how one accelerates in football play.

In the case of a Darwin, his "burst score"  does not seem match his play (his film does not show an overly quick player) and many of his draft profiles observations indicate his lack of quickness as one of his main negatives - examples, quotes from numerous draft profiles on him: "Burst is below average", "lacks the quickness necessary to beat elite speed on perimeter runs", "not particularly laterally athletic", and "He’s seen as more of a “grinder” than a dynamic runner." 

Edited by nine9s

15 minutes ago, nine9s said:

Several times, posters mention Darwin's high "burst score."

Darwin might prove to be a good NFL player but his SPARQ burst score is not indicative of what he does on the field.  The SPARQ Burst scores is "Burst Score sums a player’s Vertical Jump height and Broad Jump distance." It is trying to imply " indicates a player’s zero-inertia explosiveness (stop-and-start acceleration) and ability to catch the ball outside the body" but does it? In some cases it might match and in others cases, it probably does not as it is measuring jumping ability not running and often even running measurements on track conditions do not translate to what players can do in football.  Many players have football speed but are not good track runners and vice versa. So jumping on track conditions likely translates even less to how one accelerates in football play.

In the case of a Darwin, his "burst score"  does not seem match his play (his film does not show an overly quick player) and many of his draft profiles observations indicate his lack of quickness as one of his main negatives - examples, quotes from numerous draft profiles on him: "Burst is below average", "lacks the quickness necessary to beat elite speed on perimeter runs", "not particularly laterally athletic", and "He’s seen as more of a “grinder” than a dynamic runner." 

Now that we have some tape of NFL level action, we can pretty much throw out all the college scouting reports and metrics.  His ability to hit an open seam quickly and run in the open field looks pretty solid to me.  His tape so far would not pigeon hole him as a grinder from what I’ve seen to date.

• Like 1

I'm picking Darwin up where I can. Seems as though he's going to be the #2 behind DW. Will probably get some touches weekly with potential for big plays but if Williams goes down he could have league winning upside.

39 minutes ago, K197040 said:

There's a reason why he's called, "Sparks McRhino".

Is this real? Please tell me it's real......

• Haha 1

Just now, kball09 said:

Is this real? Please tell me it's real......

Once a professor told me about something called "Yahoo" where you could search the internet.   I asked him, "is that real?".
He smiled and said, "what do you think?".  Then he levitated and drifted out of the classroom.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, wendellrott said:

WWWDD

What Would Warrick Dunn DO

Get vultured by Mike Alstott

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dfstout said:

Darwin Thompson aka The Evolution

Theory becomes Law this season...

I say he's sexy flexy by week 3...w Rb2 status on the rise...

Bro...posts like these are going to send this thread to 10 pages.  I like where your head is at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1