Sign in to follow this  
HarambeLives

What do you use when you’re in a live draft?

So this topic pertains to, how do you keep track of who is drafted and what kind of system/site works best for you while you’re crossing names off or got your watch list going?

I know online draft apps like ESPN/Yahoo etc do a lot of it for you, but I’m talking about in person drafts. I’m not trying to sit there with another 10 pages of printouts and my pen. 

I want to know what tools you guys use? 

much appreciated

Ten print outs? I have one page. Top 250 list from ESPN and scratch names from there. I already know who im targeting and when. I don't need much else. 

• Like 2

Print out a few pages from excel or something 

live draft is supposed to be fun, I don’t wanna be sitting on my laptop or phone the entire time

Helpful to have the bye week info or matchup info for qbs if you plan to take 2 qbs in the later rounds

We just buy a draft board online.

In terms of keeping track of players, we print the top 300 from ESPN. Make the font as big as possible in a word document and you can fit roughly 12 names on a paper. We then just use big poster boards (4 sheets of paper fits on one) and cross out the names with a sharpie as players go.

Every year we also have someone that is out of state and they usually join through face time and a google doc where we cross out the names so they can see who’s left as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Ten print outs? I have one page. Top 250 list from ESPN and scratch names from there. I already know who im targeting and when. I don't need much else. 

Ten was an exaggeration. 

• Like 1

Just participated in my first live draft and all I had was one sheet of paper with 200+ names ranked by position. One thing I know for sure I’m doing next year is going to have my targets by round. That’s something I didn’t have this go round and it ended up hurting me when I could have had value in the later rounds.

Print out ESPN ADP and draft highest player the first two rounds. Then start planning positions.

Also agree with poofinger….beers.....and laughs with friends. 

Enjoy the day. It's the best day of the year. Nothing's blown up on your team yet.

• Like 1

Get a big screen TV and use clicky draft.

Skip the draft boards and print outs.

Its free and easier to use

• Like 1

I make an excel sheet of my player rankings and make sure it fits on one page.  A live draft is for having fun with friends as much as anything, so keep it simple.  Maybe you wont have the most mathematically brilliant draft, especially after a few beers, but I always keep it to 1 page.

Print out an ADP list.  It's very easy to cross out the players from that list as you go since they'll get picked roughly in that order.

Also make a list of your sleeper RBs and WRs.  Those guys can be buried in the big draft list and hard to find.  IMPORTANT:  include the bye weeks of each player on your sleeper list.

Posted (edited)

A big Draft board would be the most convenient thing for all league-mates, however, we find that things get sloppy around the 5th round and after a few drinks. My recommendation is to have someone bring a friend, girlfriend, sibling, whatever to post picks and keep track of the draftboard.

Personally, even-though, it's there, I avoid using the draft board. Depending on where you are sitting or how many drinks you have had or how much you have eaten, do you really want to have to get up to and verify the draft board each and every time.`

First of all, I would avoid using magazines, printouts, pen and paper and I would just bring a tablet and a charger. I would create an excel spreadsheet which summarizes my research for ADP, Consensus rankings, etc and break off players into tiers. I'll create columns and have their SOS, O-line ranking and bye weeks all on one page.  I'll have a window on the tablet dedicated to this spreadsheet. You can easily just black out the box of a player once they are picked. 

On your tab, you can also open up the web browser and use the FFC ADP draft board during your draft. One simple click and the player is blacked out. Just be careful not to refresh or hit the back button when using the FFC tool.

Overall, I like using a tablet because I can also have my bookmarks to your exclusive content at the ready and takes up less space on the table while leaving more space for beer and food :)

Edited by nonstopfan

25 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

A big Draft board would be the most convenient thing for all league-mates, however, we find that things get sloppy around the 5th round and after a few drinks. My recommendation is to have someone bring a friend, girlfriend, sibling, whatever to post picks and keep track of the draftboard.

Personally, even-though, it's there, I avoid using the draft board. Depending on where you are sitting or how many drinks you have had or how much you have eaten, do you really want to have to get up to and verify the draft board each and every time.`

First of all, I would avoid using magazines, printouts, pen and paper and I would just bring a tablet and a charger. I would create an excel spreadsheet which summarizes my research for ADP, Consensus rankings, etc and break off players into tiers. I'll create columns and have their SOS, O-line ranking and bye weeks all on one page.  I'll have a window on the tablet dedicated to this spreadsheet. You can easily just black out the box of a player once they are picked. 

On your tab, you can also open up the web browser and use the FFC ADP draft board during your draft. One simple click and the player is blacked out. Just be careful not to refresh or hit the back button when using the FFC tool.

Overall, I like using a tablet because I can also have my bookmarks to your exclusive content at the ready and takes up less space on the table while leaving more space for beer and food :)

We used to have a big magnetic draft board and a board with the players remaining on it.  Was a lot of fun, but whoever had to be the sticker b***h never seemed to enjoy it as much as everyone else haha.

As commish I print out a top 300 sheet for everyone there just in case someone forgets theirs, but most everyone is on their laptops/tablets and so they can find their own ways to keep track of things.

Live drafts with a board though IMO (and beer) make for what fantasy is all about; we've had a kicker drafted in the 5th as the guy thought it was the 15th, had a guy with no WRs well into the mid rounds, etc

I bring one peice of paper with my rankings, a pen, and a bunch of beer and/or weed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

I want to know what tools you guys use? 

I have the spreadsheet from hell. I mark the players that are taken and in return it gives me an overview of the remaining players I like for each position :)

• Like 1

I use the football guys app. Not free though, cost $5. Pretty easy to use on draft day.

Just my brain. I think holding to exact rankings is too restrictive. You should know the guys you like and the guys you don't by the time you are at the draft.

• Like 1

Although commish uses an app on a big screen for the entire league I still print out Fantasy Pros top overall,our league also drafts head coaches so I did hand write a page of all coaches and their bye weeks.

I am in an auction draft & use a spreadsheet that I created. Projections from 3 different sources, using an average from each. I then plug in our league scoring system to give me a rank (use a value over replacement to rank across different positions). I have macros using conditional formatting to 'cross off' drafted players. A page dedicated for each team. This tracks their lineup and money management so that I know their max bids in late draft. A main page showing me everything at a glance in terms of money and team needs. Everything is hyperlinked for easy navigation.

It sounds like overkill, but I designed it 6-7 years ago and only took 4-5 hours, I literally just update projections a couple of times per summer which only takes about 30 minutes each time. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Just my brain. I think holding to exact rankings is too restrictive. You should know the guys you like and the guys you don't by the time you are at the draft.

I do. But some sort list of players is a no brainer for me. 

59 minutes ago, Fabrini said:

our league also drafts head coaches

Really? How tf does that work?

10 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Worst rankings every year.

What rankings do you suggest? Just curious.