Trench Mob

JaVale McGee 2019-2020 Outlook

With the Boogie news, the Shaqtin-A-Fool superstar is back on the fantasy radar. What round should he be taken?

I'm guessing they move AD down to Center in the starting lineup but Javale gets close to 20 minutes again without Boogie.
He only needed just over 20 minutes to provide value last year and I don't think it was something he can't reproduce as his per minute stats were pretty consistent with previous seasons.

Probably a smaller role with less usage than last year, but I still feel comfortable taking him maybe as early as 8th round even in a bench role.

Last year it was a roller coaster of a season, partly due to injuries/illness and also due to battling Zubac and Tyson Chandler for PT.  Both those guys are now gone, but presumably the Lakers will add someone since their frontcourt depth is a gaping wound.

At his best, he is the type of player who can single handedly win you a H2H matchup, and at his worst, he is not even in the game. His season depends on who else the Lakers add, but as it stands he is in line for as much PT as he (and coach Vogel) can handle.  That might be 25 minutes, but in 25 minutes he can do a lot of damage.  His line for the last 2 months of the season is 23 min, 13 pts, 9 reb, 2 blk on 66% fg with little to no steals/assists/threes and something like that is attainable IMO.  Those are top 50 numbers.

• Like 1

Could be a serious value pick as the 2nd big on the roster with that tragic Boogie news..

AD hates playing C so Mcgee might have a chance to start, but theres probably no chance he closes out games. Starting or not, repeating his 22MPG seems like a pretty safe bet.

• Like 1

I thought he was ranked low on Yahoo even before the Boogie news. Afterwards I'm taking him as early as late 70s/80s.

McGee will get minutes. He was actually one of the Lakers best players last season. Will be interesting to see how Vogel and his staff put together the frontcourt rotation. AD is really a 5 that doesn't want to bang with 5s and wants to play 4 instead. But can you put AD and McGee out there at the same time? Doubtful. Who is playing the 5 when AD is playing 4? However it works out, we know what McGee gives us when he gets minutes and that should be no different this season. He will play, I just have no clue who will be on the court with him.

• Like 1

Dwight will almost certainly cap McGee's upside. There's no question that Dwight can still play, with all the ego issues aside. 

McGee will start, but if we expect Dwight to play 20 min, and AD at C for 8, that leaves only 20 minutes a night for McGee.

And that's before December, when Dwight (through a media puppet) starts asking why he's not starting.

(We've seen this story before.)

12 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Dwight will almost certainly cap McGee's upside. There's no question that Dwight can still play, with all the ego issues aside. 

McGee will start, but if we expect Dwight to play 20 min, and AD at C for 8, that leaves only 20 minutes a night for McGee.

And that's before December, when Dwight (through a media puppet) starts asking why he's not starting.

(We've seen this story before.)

Nah McGee was not going to get over 25 minutes either way.  He only averaged 22 minutes last season.  He will get around 24 minutes either starting or letting Howard start if his ego requires it....in this case I could see Howard opening halves but no way can his body handle over 20 minutes at this point.

• Like 1

I’d expect another 12/8 with 2 blocks year, over 60 FG%, low TO.  Nothing else.  Poor FT shooting on negligible volume.  Put him in the same tier as Jarrett Allen.  If you need blocks and he’s your second center, let’s say past 72nd (eg 7th round+), then I think it’s a good deal.  I 

• Like 1

i see a timeshare between dwight and mcgee all season

mcgee should be the 3rd center on your team.. he’s having a nice preseason, so his upside is 2nd center on your team, but that’s if the stars align. 

10 hours ago, COBBLEPOT said:

i see a timeshare between dwight and mcgee all season

mcgee should be the 3rd center on your team.. he’s having a nice preseason, so his upside is 2nd center on your team, but that’s if the stars align. 

Javale put up 5th round value last year in 22mpg

2 hours ago, Kb2432786 said:

yea but he didn’t have a dwight howard to compete with

ill gladly take last years production 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, COBBLEPOT said:

yea but he didn’t have a dwight howard to compete with

ill gladly take last years production 

I still think he’ll get at least the same 22 minutes and opportunity as last year. Personally, I think he’ll have the starting role and play a little more than Dwight. We’ll see.

5 hours ago, Kb2432786 said:

Yes with Zubac & Chandler as the primary pieces.

Now it’s AD & Dwight.

1 hour ago, Kb2432786 said:

I still think he’ll get at least the same 22 minutes and opportunity as last year. Personally, I think he’ll have the starting role and play a little more than Dwight. We’ll see.

hard to tell

dwight started the last game vs. golden state and had a monster line 

i wouldn’t be surprised either way 

D12 is not very durable and AD prefers to play PF. Plus, I enjoy watching him play. 

Let's see what happens next week.

I don't have much faith in Dwight this year (haven't had any in a good while) so I feel good about owning McGee for now.

Dwight can still board, but wow does he look slow and grounded compared to Javale.. not a chance I'd take Dwight over Javale

I saw these guys live against GSW last week. That game, and through the whole preseason, Dwight has shown he has lost lateral movement. He will not be taking Mcgee's minutes. Mcgee is playing with the starters.

And there is upside versus Mcgee's peak last season. So many of their plays are designed P/R with Mcgee camping in the dunker spot, just waiting for the second pass. And both Lebron and AD want to make that pass, which is often a lob for a slam. It will be their #1 play on offense. 

Mcgee is a great C to target after the slew of 5-6th rounders are off the board. Around #80-90. I expect: 12 and 9 with 1.9 blocks on very good FG%.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I saw these guys live against GSW last week. That game, and through the whole preseason, Dwight has shown he has lost lateral movement. He will not be taking Mcgee's minutes. Mcgee is playing with the starters.

And there is upside versus Mcgee's peak last season. So many of their plays are designed P/R with Mcgee camping in the dunker spot, just waiting for the second pass. And both Lebron and AD want to make that pass, which is often a lob for a slam. It will be their #1 play on offense. 

Mcgee is a great C to target after the slew of 5-6th rounders are off the board. Around #80-90. I expect: 12 and 9 with 1.9 blocks on very good FG%.

9 boards seems a lil high but I agree with the other projections.

No bueno. Is today's usage down to preference for small-ball lineups? Benching him for now... playing a tree for 17 minutes might be a perk in an experimental drama play, but not in fantasy

Clippers forced them to go small, and that was why Javale sat. Hope it is not a trend.