machine3

Malcolm Brown 2019 Outlook

59 minutes ago, matthew berry said:

The last two pages belong in the Assistant Coach Forum.  You're not being clever by sliding it in here.  

Thanks Mr. Berry. I appreciate you and your advice. You’re only wrong 75% of the time

• Haha 4

“We’ll have a little bit more clarity and it’s really just kind of taking our time making that decision,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Friday.

Gurley, who had knee issues last season, promptly reported for treatment on the quad injury suffered when he took a “good shot” against the Seahawks last Thursday night.

“[We’ve] got a lot of confidence in Malcolm Brown,” McVay said. “Darrell Henderson is a guy that has a skillset that we do feel good about. If that’s the case, then obviously Malcolm, we feel more than confident can handle that and Darrell will look to get in there as well. As far as anybody else, that’s something that will be determined once we have the status of Todd for sure kind of determined for us.”

2 hours ago, atrium said:

Are you guys playing him over the Howard/Hyde/Royce tier of RBs?

Without getting too AC, the short answer is yes on all of them. He'd be in that RB10-15 range for me, probably closer to 10. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atrium said:

Yikes at you even considering this. What has Carson done to warrant benching?

Seahawks are super thin at OL this week.  Pocic went to IR.  LT brown and RG fluker are OUT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Seahawks are super thin at OL this week.  Pocic went to IR.  LT brown and RG fluker are OUT

To be fair, Pocic has missed the last four games already. Fluker injured his hamstring early vs Rams so Jamarco Jones played almost the whole game, and did well. So the only thing different than vs Rams is if LT Brown won’t go (both him and Fluker listed as Doubtful btw, not OUT yet). Apparently he’s had the bicep issue since week 3 but managed to toughen it out so far.

So, sure, not good if LT Brown does not make it. But the o-line situation isn’t as dramatically changed compared to last week as the above quote suggests.

Either way, if you have Carson he’s likely not lower than your RB2 in most cases which means there’s room for both with one in FLEX.

49ers defense is ranked 1st vs RBs in fantasy and their offense is firing on all cylinders. Not an optimal scenario for Malcolm Brown especially with talks about Henderson having a role. He’s definitely a start but I’m hesitant putting him above RB15.

• Like 1

Someone foolishly dropped Brown before Gurley was downgraded to doubtful, so I spent my last remaining FAAB $$$ to pick him up today. I had to do it, especially because I'm playing the Gurley owner this week.

Even if Gurley somehow plays, as unlikely as it is, I'm still rolling out Brown as my FLEX. It's a bad matchup on paper, but the volume and upside will be there. I'll be happy with 1 TD this week.

No turning back now...

What can Brown do for you?!

Edited by The Frayed Ends of Fantasy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Frayed Ends of Fantasy said:

Someone foolishly dropped Brown before Gurley was downgraded to doubtful, so I spent my last remaining FAAB $$$ to pick him up today. I had to do it, especially because I'm playing the Gurley owner this week.

Even if Gurley somehow plays, as unlikely as it is, I'm still rolling out Brown as my FLEX. It's a bad matchup on paper, but the volume and upside will be there. I'll be happy with 1 TD this week.

No turning back now...

What can Brown do for you?!

Gurley isn’t playing, and don’t be surprised if this injury is a lot worse than McVay is insinuating.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Alconbury said:

To be fair, Pocic has missed the last four games already. Fluker injured his hamstring early vs Rams so Jamarco Jones played almost the whole game, and did well. So the only thing different than vs Rams is if LT Brown won’t go (both him and Fluker listed as Doubtful btw, not OUT yet). Apparently he’s had the bicep issue since week 3 but managed to toughen it out so far.

So, sure, not good if LT Brown does not make it. But the o-line situation isn’t as dramatically changed compared to last week as the above quote suggests.

Either way, if you have Carson he’s likely not lower than your RB2 in most cases which means there’s room for both with one in FLEX.

49ers defense is ranked 1st vs RBs in fantasy and their offense is firing on all cylinders. Not an optimal scenario for Malcolm Brown especially with talks about Henderson having a role. He’s definitely a start but I’m hesitant putting him above RB15.

Agreed-   Brown is a solid bet for a short TD and 50 yards-   But anymore than that is a hope and a prayer.   SF D is no joke...that front is nasty.    

Good flex start just don’t expect Brown to set the world ablaze this week.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

Niners defense being way overhyped.  The dline is legit and they can get after the QB but they gave up good yardage to TB (Rojo/Barber) and Chubb (5+ YPC).  The other games were blow outs where teams had to abandon the run.  Rams are by far their toughest test.

Edited by ludawg23
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Niners defense being way overhyped.  The dline is legit and they can get after the QB but they gave up good yardage to TB (Rojo/Barber) and Chubb (5+ YPC).  The other games were blow outs where teams had to abandon the run.  Rams are by far their toughest test.

This

• Like 2

If Gurley is in fact out tomorrow (and it's sounding more and more like that will be the case), and Brown gets the bulk of the carries, I think this gives McVay a golden opportunity to go run heavy and have a more balanced attack. That would take a lot of pressure off Goff and also help to neutralize that pass rush of the 9ers. Rams really need this game, and McVay has to realize Goff can't drop back 50+ times a game if they want to win the time of possession and turnover battle. Brown I think gives the Rams a legit between the tackle pounder.  

I can see at least 15 carries for Brown for 75-80 yards + 3-5 dump off passes for another 20-25 yards. He should also get at least one goal opportunity for a TD. That's a 10 point floor without the TD and mid to upper teen FP ceiling. I have him slotted in as a Flex, but think he provides RB2 value this weekend. 

Again, all based on Gurley sitting this game. 

31 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Whatever you gotta tell yourself.    San Fran is the #5 rushing D in the league-  allowing just 81 yards/game.  The Bucs scored one offensive TD all game-  and a couple nice runs late by Rojo salvaged a terrible game.   SF shut em down.   Chubb had his worst game since week 1 against the Niners- and it was over in the first half.   There could have been a big garbage time TD- but no.  

This will not be an easy game for the Rams rushers

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 2

Just now, The G Man said:

If Gurley is in fact out tomorrow (and it's sounding more and more like that will be the case), and Brown gets the bulk of the carries, I think this gives McVay a golden opportunity to go run heavy and have a more balanced attack. That would take a lot of pressure off Goff and also help to neutralize that pass rush of the 9ers. Rams really need this game, and McVay has to realize Goff can't drop back 50+ times a game if they want to win the time of possession and turnover battle. Brown I think gives the Rams a legit between the tackle pounder.  

I can see at least 15 carries for Brown for 75-80 yards + 3-5 dump off passes for another 20-25 yards. He should also get at least one goal opportunity for a TD. That's a 10 point floor without the TD and mid to upper teen FP ceiling. I have him slotted in as a Flex, but think he provides RB2 value this weekend. 

Again, all based on Gurley sitting this game. 

They could have gone run heavy before this splitting carries, with Gurley already limited on snaps, yet they continued to throw. I doubt that's going to change all of a sudden because Gurley is out. It made more sense to run more when Gurley was available and Brown could come in. With the exception of one game, Gurley was getting about 15 carries. So, let's say that goes to Brown, it isn't going to change much with what the Rams have been doing. Brown had 15 carries total the past four weeks. What you say makes total sense, but I just don't see it happening because of what's already happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Whatever you gotta tell yourself.    San Fran is the #5 rushing D in the league-  allowing just 81 yards/game.  The Bucs scored one offensive TD all game-  and a couple nice runs late by Rojo salvaged a terrible game.   SF shut em down.   Chubb had his worst game since week 1 against the Niners- and it was over in the first half.   There could have been a big garbage time TD- but no.  

worst game ? maybe fantasy wise but he was at 5.4 ypc one of his best so far this year 

it's not his fault baker was running for his life all game 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

If the Rams had a better run blocking line I would agree that they might be able to show something the 49ers haven't seen.

They have a much more dynamic passing offense than the other offenses they faced.

It's possible that Gurley's knee injury has made the run blocking look worse than it is, but I doubt it based on how swarmed he looked so far before he has even been able to make any moves.

As is, I see the SF D-Line vs Rams O Line matchup running the ball similarly to what we saw last Monday vs the Browns unit.

Chubb was able to create some space, but I tend to think he's able to do that better than the Rams backs.

You can always luck into a TD of course, but I dunno how you can see this as a favorable matchup for any back in the league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

They could have gone run heavy before this splitting carries, with Gurley already limited on snaps, yet they continued to throw. I doubt that's going to change all of a sudden because Gurley is out. It made more sense to run more when Gurley was available and Brown could come in. With the exception of one game, Gurley was getting about 15 carries. So, let's say that goes to Brown, it isn't going to change much with what the Rams have been doing. Brown had 15 carries total the past four weeks. What you say makes total sense, but I just don't see it happening because of what's already happened.

We'll see my friend, we'll see.  

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If the Rams had a better run blocking line I would agree that they might be able to show something the 49ers haven't seen.

They have a much more dynamic passing offense than the other offenses they faced.

It's possible that Gurley's knee injury has made the run blocking look worse than it is, but I doubt it based on how swarmed he looked so far before he has even been able to make any moves.

As is, I see the SF D-Line vs Rams O Line matchup running the ball similarly to what we saw last Monday vs the Browns unit.

Chubb was able to create some space, but I tend to think he's able to do that better than the Rams backs.

You can always luck into a TD of course, but I dunno how you can see this as a favorable matchup for any back in the league.

Definitely not favorable.  The Rams should at least be productive enough in the passing game to give brown chances to score.  Kupp is in for another busy day.  

How they divvy up the backfield passing work will be important too.  Unknown amount of Henderson.  

Brown feels like a flex play overall.    Hope for more but don’t count on it. 

• Like 1

Anyone trying to sell high - just off the thought of Gurley being down and to avoid any rbbc possibilities (I know you could sell higher if he has a good game - but could always bust as well).

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Heizz said:

Anyone trying to sell high - just off the thought of Gurley being down and to avoid any rbbc possibilities (I know you could sell higher if he has a good game - but could always bust as well).

lmao. Sell High??? The guy hasn't even collected any value yet

• Haha 1

Well, I suppose you could sell to the Gurley owner. His value could be highest right now if he sucks tomorrow and Gurley ends up being ok next week. Guess that really depends how desperate they are though 

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Well, I suppose you could sell to the Gurley owner. His value could be highest right now if he sucks tomorrow and Gurley ends up being ok next week. Guess that really depends how desperate they are though 

gurley played last Thursday and supposedly has a bruised quad. He hasn’t practiced in 8 days. Because of a bruise. 8 days.

gurley doesn’t have a bruised quad. 

hodl brown.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chargahs said:

gurley played last Thursday and supposedly has a bruised quad. He hasn’t practiced in 8 days. Because of a bruise. 8 days.

gurley doesn’t have a bruised quad. 

hodl brown.

I’m not saying you should. I’m saying you could, in response to above poster. Although there are definite scenarios you should if the Gurley owner freaked and offered a lot. Despite the excitement of the lotto ticket maybe producing I think it’s very possible he disappoints even with a long Gurley absence.

agree to hold brown if you can, but completely depends on team needs.

i'm not expecting huge numbers this week, but likely adequate numbers for a flex spot (anything more is gravy).  if he flashes and gurley ends up missing more time, rams play @ATL and v. CIN before their week 9 bye. 

tasty matchups. excuse me while i wipe the drool off my keyboard.

at this point, i wouldn't be shocked if rams rest gurley through their bye to completely heal up from his quad/thigh bruise (espesh if rams keep winning w/o him). IF that's what he's actually suffering from.

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I’m not saying you should. I’m saying you could, in response to above poster. Although there are definite scenarios you should if the Gurley owner freaked and offered a lot. Despite the excitement of the lotto ticket maybe producing I think it’s very possible he disappoints even with a long Gurley absence.

Much more likely he disappoints considering the circumstances IMO. But I’m holding in 3 leagues, mostly out of RB desperation.