Robert Williams III 2019-2020 Outlook

"Mitchell Rob"ert Williams      

He needs more than just garbage time.  

Edited by Crazycanto
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crazycanto said:

"Mitchell Rob"ert Williams      

He needs more than just garbage time.  

A majority of tonight's minutes were not in garbage time. He made some major plays with the starters.

BUT even if he leap frogs Theis, he'll still have to fight Kanter for minutes. 

Dude is significantly better than kanter and obviously has infinitely more potential. Theis has been terrific as well however. Will be interesting to see how things end up once kanter returns but i wouldnt be surprised to see rob playing 24 minutes a game. Hayward injury might open some minutes up at pf for either rob or theis alongside kanter. 

Hmmm, I could definitely see Tatum sliding back to the 3, but I dunno how having Rob/Theis alongside each other (or Kanter) would work on offense since neither has range, and I don't think either really works against 4s with range.  And of course, Stevens can simply just move Brown to SF and add Smart at SG anyway. Personally, I'm thinking Grant Williams enters the starting lineup to replace Hayward.  Ugh, it's frustrating that Stevens has so much depth to work with.

A pity that Theis and Rob play on the same team, since I could see both of them breaking out with more minutes on another team.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MWon said:

Hmmm, I could definitely see Tatum sliding back to the 3, but I dunno how having Rob/Theis alongside each other (or Kanter) would work on offense since neither has range, and I don't think either really works against 4s with range.  And of course, Stevens can simply just move Brown to SF and add Smart at SG anyway. Personally, I'm thinking Grant Williams enters the starting lineup to replace Hayward.  Ugh, it's frustrating that Stevens has so much depth to work with.

A pity that Theis and Rob play on the same team, since I could see both of them breaking out with more minutes on another team.

Coach babyface cant be trusted with center minutes, the only person he ever gave consistent minutes to was horford.

How do we view this guy as a streamer this week. On one hand, Kanter should return sometime this week. On the other, the Hayward injury opens up some minutes as guys slide down. The other thing about this guy is he basically produces in anything close to 15-20 minutes.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, MWon said:

Picked him up as a streaming option for this week. Looked at his highlights and he definitely has the athleticism to compete with other centers why the low minutes though? 

Celtics coach Brad Stevens talked up Robert Williams after he scored 11 points with seven rebounds, six blocks, two assists and no turnovers in 22 minutes vs. the Spurs on Saturday.

"He’s going to get some points to go down, but he was really running," Stevens said. "He’s a great shot blocker, and where I think he’s been at his best this year is rebounding over the top. He’s still improving in pick-and-roll and different defensive coverages. But offensively, he has an ability to pass it and he’s a threat at the rim. That’s what we need him and [Daniel] Theis to be, because they’re not high-volume jump shooters." Enes Kanter (knee) is questionable for Monday, but Williams is going to be hard to take off the floor with the way he's playing. His upside makes him worth adding to see if can build on his momentum.

I'd scoop in 14+ teamers, 12 Teamers just a watch list atm

yeah I wasted a pick up on robert William and realized Kanter just got cleared to play .. I'd love to keep him and / Noel's but they're both handcuffed at the moment! Like you said just keep a watch .. opted for hueter anyways ✌

He's ranked in the top 100 on nine cat Yahoo leagues. He makes an impact with his playing time. He's young and needs to be developed on the court for the Celtics to be their best in the playoffs this year. It makes sense to get him minutes even with Kanter back.

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

First guy off the bench.

Kanter is back, right?

He is, also looked like Theis hurt his finger but returned. 3 headed monster at C but Celtics do have 4 games this week.

this guy should start. Young. Athletic. Great passer. Needs to improve pick n roll D but hes a much better defender then enes and they were playing him 28 minutes before going down...don't be stupid brad.

27 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

this guy should start. Young. Athletic. Great passer. Needs to improve pick n roll D but hes a much better defender then enes and they were playing him 28 minutes before going down...don't be stupid brad.

Yeah that's probably why he's not starting lol tbh, this game alone he gave up 2 to 3 wide open dunks on pick n roll.

On the bright side he had the most minutes in the 1st half of the 3 

17 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Yeah that's probably why he's not starting lol tbh, this game alone he gave up 2 to 3 wide open dunks on pick n roll.

yup lol but there should be no reason to play kanter then..cause he'll give up even more. I want to see brad consistent with this outlook.

Jesus, peep these per 36 numbers:

13.3 / 11.7 / 4.5 / 2.6 / 3.9 on 78% FG..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

-14 in 17 minutes is not going to earn him more PT going forward

Yeah, I definitely noticed that when Theis had a much better +/-.  Still, not many opposing benches have big men like D Powell, and it seemed that Bob was pretty passive and didn't want to grab fouls, hence he got scored on. His teammates also didn't really look his way, with Tatum and Brown playing like they were trying to break scoring records or something.  I think he needs to learn what Mitch Rob is learning - don't be afraid to foul and play aggressive defense, but find a balance in also avoiding silly touch fouls too.  His P&R defense isn't great and I'm seeing he gets switched on really easily.

Holy s---.. this guy's potential is through the roof, that little lob pass had a really soft touch on it, unbelievable athleticism, monster two handed dunk near the end with his head at rim level.

3 headed time share, sadly I don't see this guy relevant in redraft leagues this season..  Theiss will get his 24-28 minutes, and the remaining 22-24 mnutes will be divided between Kanter and Time Lord depending on game flow and matchups.  Keep in mind Kanter got only 6 minutes last night but it was his 1st game back so those minutes will gradually ramp up.

Yeah unless an injury goes down with Thesis, Williams is not worth rostering. Thesis is just a fundamentally better player overall IMO

• Like 1

For anyone in a 9-cat roto league, Williams is a perfect guy to stash, or deploy selectively if you need his hustle stats. I can see logic in the advice he's worthless outside of roto, unless you need a block tool in H2H and even that is a stretch. But in roto, if you let his good stats compile (and his bad ones not compile) you're going to like what he does by the end of the season. He's also the kind of guy who, if he blows up, should be signed quickly, which is part of his stash value along with the big upside.