s-kayos

Robert Williams III 2019-2020 Season Outlook

So how 'bout that Celtics Center rotation?I think the case can be made for Robert "Time Lord" Williams III to have a big role here. 

For those who don't know him, Robert Williams III is a 21-year old big drafted late in the 1st last year. He was a potential lottery pick in 2017 but decided to stay another year. He was a defensive stud prospect, earning 2x SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors, but he slipped in the draft due to concerns about his work ethic, and didn't do much to assuage those fears afterwards as he showed up late to Celtics team functions or missed entire meetings and a flight on numerous occasions, earning him the nickname "Time Lord" from the community for his scheduling faux paus

Onto the stats: Last year he was in and out of the G-League, but when he played on the team he averaged a little under 9 mpg for 32 games. His offense is limited, but his FG% was a hardy 70.6%, and he averaged a crazy 1.3 blocks per game in only 8.8 mpg. 

For context, out of rotation players, Time Lord ranked 4th in block%, behind Mitch Rob but ahead of guys like Noel, Whiteside, Gobert, & AD. His defensive rating was solid too, measuring on par with guys like Siakam, Myles Turner, Danny Green, and Middleton, albeit the sample size is miniscule compared to those guys.

In this past summer league, RWIII averaged 16.6 points, 18 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 4.1 blocks and 2.3 steals per 36 minutes.

That being said, his main competition is Kanter, 6'8'' Daniel Theis, a 25-year old Euroleaguer Vincent Poirer, and maybe Tacko Fall? I don't think it's a stretch to say that R-Dub3 could be their best post defender outside of micro-ball center Marcus Smart. I think the guy is worth watching to see if he can mature a bit more, and who knows? Barring the Celtics acquiring another big, he's got a great opportunity for minutes and role.

For more reads on the fascinating prospect known as "Time Lord" by fans, check some of these other links:

Highlights - https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/20/sophomore-sleeper-can-robert-williams-iii-make-an-impact/

Prospect Analysis - https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

• Thanks 1

Don't see him having a big role. His minutes will probably be up and down throughout the season. Very limited offensively, and while there is potential on defense, he is not ready. Probably more of the classic "per minute monster" everyone on RW dreams of, but never quite gets the minutes needed to become totally fantasy relevant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Don't see him having a big role. His minutes will probably be up and down throughout the season. Very limited offensively, and while there is potential on defense, he is not ready. Probably more of the classic "per minute monster" everyone on RW dreams of, but never quite gets the minutes needed to become totally fantasy relevant.

Yeah, the positive I can see going for him is that with his size and athleticism he's a better defender at his position than Kanter with his reputation as a defensive sieve, so I think the Celtics may need him to step up sooner rather than later even if he's not ready as a sophomore. With many projecting smallball lineups to decline in prevalence this season I could see the need for interior defenders increasing a little bit. 

Regardless, as I said I think he's more of an interesting guy to watch right now than someone to draft. But I think he also has potential streaming/DFS value in blocks,  he averaged 1.3 blocks in only 8.8 mpg last season. He's a monster in that regard.  Even when guys like Gobert and Whiteside and McGee were playing less than 10mpg, none of them could manage more than 1 block per game like Robert Williams did. In fact I went back 20 years and can't find any record of anyone even averaging over 1 bpg in so few minutes, let alone matching Williams's 1.3 bpg. I think he's due for a bigger role if not a consistent role.

His player comp was Clint Capela, who was also picked in the same pick range, and had a worse rookie season than RWIII but improved marginally each year. He's got a chance with minutes, though I admit he may not be ready to seize the opportunity quite yet with his immaturity and limited offense. He could be another Ekpe Udoh or Bismack Biyombo who blocks shots and not much else, but I think he already projects better than them, and they both have had pretty lengthy careers at this point.

• Like 2

All  I need to know  is that Celtics signed  Kanter  who cannot guard a chair.

That tells me the amount of trust that Celtics have in Williams for next season.   I also seriously question his desire to play basketball at the highest level (shortly after getting drafted by the Celtics he  overslept a introductory conference call with reporters and subsequently missed a flight to Boston, as well as the team’s first practice).  

Well he's got the talent but is still the 3rd big in the rotation, so easily less than 20 min/night, probably 10-15 min at the most barring injuries.  Theis is one of the most underrated players in the entire league and I don't think there's any way he's losing playing time to Williams.  

Poirier is on a way higher level than Theis as far as their Euro careers go. The French Man might be the surprise here and he is not like Kanter on D he is very mobile for his size. Of course he is not as good on O but that can be said for most bigs in the league.

Has to be all in the ALL NBA nickname squad 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, Gile Pile said:

All  I need to know  is that Celtics signed  Kanter  who cannot guard a chair.

That tells me the amount of trust that Celtics have in Williams for next season.   I also seriously question his desire to play basketball at the highest level (shortly after getting drafted by the Celtics he  overslept a introductory conference call with reporters and subsequently missed a flight to Boston, as well as the team’s first practice).  

Broke his hand on a chair in fact.

Final thoughts on Time Lord? Anyone? 

8 hours ago, dino10k said:

He's a knucklehead. But he can block shots.

Those two often go hand in hand. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

I think it’s because these athletic bigs come with natural athleticism/height and often don’t get involved with basketball until later in life.  It’s a job to them, something to make money and gain social standing, but they don’t truly love it.  Now the 6’1” guys, they had to have iron will because the odds were stacked against them.  They have an obsessive love for basketball and a maniacal drive to practice constantly, otherwise they would have washed up in college, let alone the nba. 

12 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

If this were true then JR Smith should lead the league in blocked shots.

• Haha 1

Brad Stevens quoted saying time Lord has "had as good an off season as anyone "

On 9/3/2019 at 1:08 AM, perkinsfor3 said:

Larry Sanders!!  #neverforget

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Strange thing is that Robert Williams. I see one season projection ranked him as 103th, but predicted him only 16 minutes. How he can be almost TOP100 with such a few minutes? I am very doubtful about him and probably don't draft in standard league. Only what I have to do - rank him for my other league, which is deep (20 teams).

I actually can imagine someone playing around 16 minutes per game and being ranked around top 100. Just have fresh in mind what Mitch Rob was able to do within 20 mpg.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, Gile Pile said:

True, but the real question is where do you draft him?

Late but before the others...depends on the league but rd13 plus seems right...

• worth a late round flyer who you can drop for a hot FA. I don't see how he can get enough minutes to produce, from what I know he is a low bball IQ guy which will not go well with a coach like Brad Stevens. But worth a late pick and see what happens

Of course you can draft at last round almost anyone because you anyway have to keep at least two spots for drop/add. But if you were not successful at rounds 10-12, then last round is sometimes important and there are plenty of better "lets-see-what-happens-guys" than Robert Williams.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:52 AM, Gile Pile said:

True, but the real question is where do you draft him?

I took him last in my 9 cat , 12 team draft last night (needed a pf)  

I'm not sure anyone else knew who he was to be honest. Helped ESPN have him ranked 303rd

The newest hashtagbasektball tools project him at 16 mpg and 2.4 blocks.. whoa.  Still not sold but I'm getting more intrigued, I'd like to see some pre-season action or more news. Worth noting though that even when starting Kanter usually maxes out at 26 mpg. I'm interested to see who will step up when Kanter is off the court.