AirForceOne

Darrel Williams 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Lots of discussion going on about Damien Williams, Hyde and Darwin Thompson. But Darrel Williams, the cheapest and least hyped option in the KC backfield but stands to have a sizable role if things break the right way in the coming weeks. Can Damien handle a prominent role without breaking down? Will Hyde really get cut? Is Darwin trustworthy as an undersized 23yr old rookie with only 1yr of experience at Utah State? 

Point being, there are just as many opportunities for the "other" Williams to get a (potentially large) share of the backfield touches as the other unproven options. What do we know about Darrel? He was fairly unspectacular at LSU, but had a decent amount of highlights. He was a 4-star recruit before committing to hometown LSU over some pretty major programs including Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Wisconsin, Southern Miss, Nebraska, Vanderbilt and Georgia. He played behind Guice for the most part at LSU, and didn't see much action until his senior year.

So there are a few important things to note:
- Darrel has the prototypical size of an NFL-caliber talent. 6'0, 225
- Hasn't fumbled in his entire career. College, preseason, and regular season. 
- Can catch the ball.
- Has experience with the 1st team offense, played in 6 games last season. 

While Darrel obviously hasn't really done much to this point to separate himself as the lead-dog, it's hard to argue that he has less talent than any of the other options in this questionable RB stable. It's very possible he emerges at some point into a decent role, and is worth keeping an eye on. 

Edited by AirForceOne
  • Like 1

Yes- He is one of my favorite nearly off-the-radar type of player. While not flashy, he can do everything requisite of an RB in the Reid system.

He will need things to break his way for him to make an impact this year, but he is def one to keep tabs on in larger format leagues.

His 4.72 40 puts him into a group of RBs where NFL success is virtually impossible.  This is one of the few cases where I really pay much attention to 40 times, and it is because it is such a huge red flag.

28 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

His 4.72 40 puts him into a group of RBs where NFL success is virtually impossible.  This is one of the few cases where I really pay much attention to 40 times, and it is because it is such a huge red flag.

That's what I don't get. If you look at some of his highlights, he's clearly outrunning defenders. 
For instance, look at the 3:58 mark of this clip.
He gets caught by the DB at the very end, but he looks plenty fast to me.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

That's what I don't get. If you look at some of his highlights, he's clearly outrunning defenders. 
For instance, look at the 3:58 mark of this clip.
He gets caught by the DB at the very end, but he looks plenty fast to me.

You posted a highlight where #21 from Texas A&M had literally no angle and started 10 yds behind him shedding a stalk block and tracked him down in the space of about 40-45 yds.  THAT’s the problem. 

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bronco Billy said:

You posted a highlight where #21 from Texas A&M had literally no angle and started 10 yds behind him shedding a stalk block and tracked him down in the space of about 40-45 yds.  THAT’s the problem. 

Eh... while I'm sure it was a big enough problem in that it didn't get Darrel drafted, he's an excellent fit for the role that he currently has.
With Hyde out of the picture, he's the only 'big back' option left. Which could mean short yardage and goal-line opportunities at a minimum, and a whole lot more if Damien doesn't hold up as the feature guy. Again Darrel looked good with his opportunities in yesterday's game.

While everyone continues to hype up Damien and Darwin, Darrel is pretty much being ignored. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Eh... while I'm sure it was a big enough problem in that it didn't get Darrel drafted, he's an excellent fit for the role that he currently has.
With Hyde out of the picture, he's the only 'big back' option left. Which could mean short yardage and goal-line opportunities at a minimum, and a whole lot more if Damien doesn't hold up as the feature guy. Again Darrel looked good with his opportunities in yesterday's game.

While everyone continues to hype up Damien and Darwin, Darrel is pretty much being ignored. 

As someone who got sniped in my draft for Thompson i'm keeping a very close eye on Darrel right now. I posted this video in the Damien Williams thread about Darrel possibly being the goal line back if anything happens to Damien. Here goes Darrel last year in the playoffs plowing his way into the goal. Just waiting on official word about Hyde. Looks like they are trying to trade him since he got zero play in the 3rd preseason game. Thompson and Darrel got all the work behind Damien. Thompson seems on the smallish side to be taking on a full work load giving someone like Darrel plenty of value. Especially if he's given the goal line work. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2019 at 10:59 AM, Bronco Billy said:

I would caution putting too much stock into the Combine 40-time.  As a point of reference, at his LSU pro day, Williams ran a 4.59 40-time.

https://www.lsureveille.com/daily/notebook-williams-jackson-shine-at-pro-day-key-shows-improvements/article_da604666-386e-11e8-96e0-a796f7e196b9.html

Let's not forget that Kareem Hunt's 40 time at the Combine was 4.62.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kareem-hunt?id=2557917

Simply put, there are many players who we can adequately state that their game speed differs from their straight-line sprint speed without pads on under controlled conditions.

Edited by rschroeder1

Yeah I still maintain he is an excellent late Rd grab-and-stash in deep (14/16 team) leagues...and last Rd target for best-balls.

Sure, a few things need to happen for his path to relevance but it is not hard to see him emerging as a bell-cow if things fall in his favor...he can do everything that is required of a back in this Reid offense.

I dont think it takes much to make him relevant. An injury to Damien could make him a league winner. I dont see Darwin in an every down role. He's still the change-of-pace back. 

• Like 3

With Darwin Thompson RAPIDLY becoming the fantasy darling of 2018 I'm starting to target Darrel Williams everywhere.  I look at this backfield the same way I look at NE's - take the cheapest one.  A month ago, people were debating Williams VS. Hyde, and Darwin was the "last round flyer."  Now Hyde is most likely out, Darwin's ADP is in the single digits, and Darrel, to me, now becomes the "late round flier" guy if you want to own a piece of this backfield.  Once Hyde gets cut, Darrel is one injury away from major playing time as well.  Everyone is gassing up Darwin as the next big thing, but if Damien Williams goes down I think we'll see Darrel on early downs and he'll get a decent chunk of market share - all for the last round in your draft.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I still maintain he is an excellent late Rd grab-and-stash in deep (14/16 team) leagues...and last Rd target for best-balls.

Sure, a few things need to happen for his path to relevance but it is not hard to see him emerging as a bell-cow if things fall in his favor...he can do everything that is required of a back in this Reid offense.

Thanks took him as my last pick.last night... Mr. Irrelevant ??  ..... Time will tell...... 

3 minutes ago, Woonga24 said:

Starting with confidence

You sure would when he takes over as lead back ........

5 minutes ago, McMars said:

You sure would when he takes over as lead back ........

who,

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said the team would "take a peek" at free agent RB LeSean McCoy.

2 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

who,

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said the team would "take a peek" at free agent RB LeSean McCoy.

Yeah he did a bang up job with Hyde .....lol

• Like 1

He's a good pickup this week if both McCoy and Damien are out and I wouldn't be surprised if he leads the backfield in carries in that scenario. After seeing Darwin in an actual game I don't think he's ever (this year or years to come) going to come close to the hype he had in the preseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...anyone looking to pick this guy up with Damien and Shady both banged up?  Seems like there's a decent chance both will sit this week, making this a Thompson/Darrel backfield.  Some KC fans I know have been talking this guy up as the most talented back on KC's roster dating back to last season, even though he's been buried on the depth chart.  Anyone buying, at least for Week 3?

Would not buy, even for just a week 3 rental, unless in a very deep, deep league. Would rather have a Hyde/Gore/C.Thompson tier RB, or even Darwin as a desperation play.

If they both sit, there's no telling what kind of reps he'll get, and I doubt they both sit for 2+ weeks. 

Posters above point out some of the negatives. 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, The Joey Harringtons said:

Would not buy, even for just a week 3 rental, unless in a very deep, deep league. Would rather have a Hyde/Gore/C.Thompson tier RB, or even Darwin as a desperation play.

If they both sit, there's no telling what kind of reps he'll get, and I doubt they both sit for 2+ weeks. 

Posters above point out some of the negatives. 

I agree with all the guys you listed ahead of him. There are leagues where those guys are rostered and Darrel is available though(like one of mine).

I haven’t picked him up because I don’t quite have room and I thought I saw McCoy finally practiced but I do think the Darwin is a little to hyped and Darrel could easily outperform him. He scored a TD in the playoffs last year so the team obviously trusts him.