Sign in to follow this  
s-kayos

Jamal Murray 2019-2020 Outlook

11 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Improving your assists per game by 40% is not minor especially when your turnovers don't go up at same rate. And when he is the 2nd best player of the team of course opponents will be more focused on him. When Lillard jumped from 21 to 25 points per game his % dropped from 43.4% to 41.9%. Have you seen Kemba Walker's numbers? It takes time to adjust and the fact that they do let him take more shots and that usage goes up every year shows that his team is trusting him to take more responsibility. 

I agree the assist jump was a big and it does take time. But jus watching his games, he really does not feel like someone who will be anywhere as good as Lillard. But I might be wrong who knows. But like I said the biggest reason why I think he won’t improve as much in his 4th year is because of his situation. Players you mentioned like Lillard/kemba was the best player on their team with not much depth. Murray is not the best player in Denver and they have tons of depth. 

22 minutes ago, nir said:

I agree the assist jump was a big and it does take time. But jus watching his games, he really does not feel like someone who will be anywhere as good as Lillard. But I might be wrong who knows. But like I said the biggest reason why I think he won’t improve as much in his 4th year is because of his situation. Players you mentioned like Lillard/kemba was the best player on their team with not much depth. Murray is not the best player in Denver and they have tons of depth. 

Just to be clear I'm not saying he will approach Lillard's level, I disagreed with "this is who he is". Denver has depth but I think it is just many above average players, the only elite one is Jokic and Murray is clearly above everybody else.Being a 2nd guy can many times translate in All Star Level. i think in his prime he can be 25/5/7 type of player.

Just slight improvements would be all he needs to unlock more value...if he can maintain or even improve the 1.2 steals and 0.5 block...5 assists, and just a little more 3's to 2.5 or 3.  Seems unlikely given the depth, but possible.  The easiest pathway would be for him to improve his 3 point % which would increase his FG, 3's, and points.   Say he can make 2.5 threes versus 1.9, then his ppg is over 20.      

if you are going off numbers the only difference between lillard and jamal is the increase in fg attempts. first 3 years of  lillard and jamal basically identical. then an increase from 16 to 19 fg attempts is what chanced lillard from 20 pt scored to 25+. % didn't get any better nothing crazy outside usage. now can jamal been that lead dog that everyone is keying on is tbd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

if you are going off numbers the only difference between lillard and jamal is the increase in fg attempts. first 3 years of  lillard and jamal basically identical. then an increase from 16 to 19 fg attempts is what chanced lillard from 20 pt scored to 25+. % didn't get any better nothing crazy outside usage. now can jamal been that lead dog that everyone is keying on is tbd.

jokic has been playing pretty bad so a few more attempts for murray isnt out of the question. So I do think thats the only way he can increase on his stats.

14 minutes ago, nir said:

jokic has been playing pretty bad so a few more attempts for murray isnt out of the question. So I do think thats the only way he can increase on his stats.

den doesn't need murray to play like lillard even though if they needed it I think he could produce similar type line.

there is a lot to like in this situation as his value looks safe and has that lillard type upside if they decide to have murray take on more. its a possibility. maybe he gets more usage late in the year when they are gearing up for playoffs and trying to condense that depth. we have seen that one twisted ankle can make  a player go from waiver trash to top 50 or better value. (Bog in Sac) 

• Like 1

his steals per game this year until now is 1.7

last year 0.9

anyone thinks he could  continue getting steals?