Sign in to follow this  
Gorgeous George

Jayson Tatum 2019-2020 Outlook

Is this THE season he breaks out?  Or is he simply destined to be a good and steady player across the board but not great in any cats?  

I think he maintains, little improvement. He is not a playmaker and Kemba will be doing the lifting in Boston. Hes going to get similar looks to kyrie, maybe a little better with Kemba. The thing about Tatum is that he always seems to be a great player, can beat anyone 1 on 1 offensively, make the open Js, but he never seems to take enough shots and doesn't have big games. Even when kyrie sat, Tatum wasn't all that special. The talent is there, as its always been, but the stats are generally lower than most would expect given him being exceptionally talented.

I don't know exactly why but considering he has had the talent all along, and hasn't gotten the job done, I don't see a huge change. I believe it's more of a mental lapse that will continue to keep him as a top 40 to 70 guy. I doubt he can meet his top 15 potential. Maybe in a few years, his mental game isn't where it needs to be at the moment. 

Comes down to if he gets the volume and improves his shot selection, he already is an efficient 1-1-1 player so thats 6 categories covered imo

Don’t see him going over 18ppg and 3 apg but he should contribute across the board. Will be a lot more valuable in punt assist builds / 9 cat than H2H though

Posted (edited)

I think he's pretty underrated with an ADP in the late 50s and pre-draft rank of 62 on Yahoo. By virtue of finishing 59 overall last season and 63 in his rookie season, you have to have no hope in Tatum to think he won't improve. I think he'll improve.

- Kyrie was awful for team chemistry, Kemba and Tatum are already getting reps and working on meshing together with Team USA

- He's only 22 years old and has the tools to be a 2-way star. This is upcoming season is only his 3rd, he's got way more to show. People may have forgotten but his 2018 playoff run was tremendous, and with Horford, Marcus Morris, and Kyrie out of the picture he should have more touches to work with on the SF/PF spots. He also only averaged ~31 mpg or less these past few seasons, more minutes would be great for his value

- A big reason he didn't leap forward in value was usage and his shot selection, both of which project to be better this upcoming season. His FG% noticeably dropped from shooting too many low-efficiency jumpers. He worked with Drew Hanlen (who famously also works with Beal and Embiid) to minimize his mid-range attempts and strengthen his shot selection. 

- Celtics are just better with him on the court. (some of this may also be due to the other starters who are now gone, but it's still worth noting): Overall, last season the Celtics were 10th in offensive efficiency and 6th in defensive efficiency. With Tatum on the court the offense was 5th and the defense was 4th. With Tatum off the court the offense was 18th and the defense was 8th. 

I also think Tatum comps pretty well with Tobias Harris, who finished #41 in 2017-2018 with stats of 18.6 ppg/ 2.3 ast/ 5.5 reb/ 0.9 stl/ 0.4 blk and 2.3 threes on 46% FG. Tobias also finished the most recent season ranked #35 overall. I think Tobi is Tatum's upside this season.

Historically Tatum's stocks are way better than Tobi's, and he's young enough to improve in several areas. Khris Middleton & Otto Porter have both shown to be T30 players with good scoring, stocks, and efficiency. I'm hopeful Tatum can make a small jump this upcoming season too and smash his draft position value.

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, iowncrazyhair said:

All things considered I'm very pleased with what i've seen from Tatum so far. Efficiency and shot selection has been horrible but everything else is there. He's been rebounding very well and has been a monster in steals going back to pre season. Obviously I don't see him at 2spg going forward but he has always had great hands and could make a huge leap in that category. A lot of mouths to feed in Boston but it could work as Hayward,Kemba,Tatum and Brown take almost all of the shots and have their minutes staggered.

21/7/3 with 1.5 stls 0.7 blks, 2.5 3pts and 43/85% is not out of the question.

All things considered, Tatum has been playing pretty well so far this season. However he definitely stagnated last night in terms of shooting percentage, 29% from the field. 

game winner seal the game

This guy is playing at a T30-35ish fantasy level and nobody is talking about him. Other than the high high steals I don't see anything unsustainable about this and some things could theoretically increase - he's only shooting 42% from the field (45 & 47 the years before), 75% from the line (86% and 83% the years before), and while his 3pt volume has increased I don't think it's too far off.

Anyone else think he's legit? 

6 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

This guy is playing at a T30-35ish fantasy level and nobody is talking about him. Other than the high high steals I don't see anything unsustainable about this and some things could theoretically increase - he's only shooting 42% from the field (45 & 47 the years before), 75% from the line (86% and 83% the years before), and while his 3pt volume has increased I don't think it's too far off.

Anyone else think he's legit? 

He's the real deal Holyfield , I love solid production guys like him and Tobias Harris for example, just cruising under the radar . & loving the stocks so far , hope he keeps it up. 

• Like 1

I’d like to see him more involved in the offence. Doesn’t get involved enough. 

13 minutes ago, mas10 said:

He was averaging 19 shot attempts going into this game..

25 minutes ago, mas10 said:

I think you’re about to get that wish lmao 

Those hastily chucked-up long 2s will certainly help him get going. Did some witchdoctor change his and Wiggins' juju?

That said, shooters shoot. I'll almost be disappointed if he doesn't reach 1-20 at this point.

Edited by brickcitymamba
  • Haha 2

Man there are bad shooting performances all the time that we complain about with our guys. Tonight I was a little upset with D.Rose going 3/13.

But then there is this. 1/17 with two minutes to go. Whoa!

• Haha 1