Sign in to follow this  
pyro7

Wendell Carter Jr 2019-2020 Outlook

dont sleep on ma boi WCJ. had a strong start to his rookie campaign before injuries. lopez is gone so probably more minutes for him. can easily outperform hiss adp by few rounds.

• Like 1

He seems like he's going just after the clump of JJJ / Adams / Favors / J-Val / Bagley / Bryant / Whiteside, although of course in some cases higher than some of them.  Would you take him over any of those other players?  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

He seems like he's going just after the clump of JJJ / Adams / Favors / J-Val / Bagley / Bryant / Whiteside, although of course in some cases higher than some of them.  Would you take him over any of those other players?  

Most definitely not over Valanciunas. He should be in a tier above this group.

Probably not over Bryant as well, but just like WCJR, I like the player. The coach / environment I don't like. Personally I'm going to look to see whose going to start at PG, Dunn or Satoransky. If it's Dunn, that'll let me know a train wreck is approaching and I won't be in it. 

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 1

JJJ and Bryant for sure; Favors and JV should have nice value 1st half but idk about their 2nd half of the season.

Whiteside, Adams and maybe Bagley if I was punting ft 

What’s holding me back from selecting WCJ in that tier is the 40 shots per game Zach, Lauri and OPJ will eat, he wasnt great when Boylen took over - sure Lopez is gone, but Gafford looks goooood.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

Most definitely not over Valanciunas. He should be in a tier above this group.

Probably not over Bryant as well, but just like WCJR, I like the player. The coach / environment I don't like. Personally I'm going to look to see whose going to start at PG, Dunn or Satoransky. If it's Dunn, that'll let me know a train wreck is approaching and I won't be in it. 

35 minutes ago, Mikhov said:

JJJ and Bryant for sure; Favors and JV should have nice value 1st half but idk about their 2nd half of the season.

Whiteside, Adams and maybe Bagley if I was punting ft 

What’s holding me back from selecting WCJ in that tier is the 40 shots per game Zach, Lauri and OPJ will eat, he wasnt great when Boylen took over - sure Lopez is gone, but Gafford looks goooood.

If I compare WCJ to Bryant, I think Bryant will likely get more rebounds, points, threes, and much higher FG.  FT is a wash on low volume.  I suppose WCJ beats him in assists and steals, and that's it.  

Bagley vs WCJ....initially I would take Bagely because I'm almost sure he'll get 20/10, whereas WCJ's production, to me, is unclear.  I don't like the offense he's in.  I'm thinking

12-14 points / 9 rebounds / 2 assists / 0.4 threes / 1 steal / 1.3 blocks    whatever % 

Edited by hipriest69

Wendell is a very good player but the coach and environment as mentioned above is very bleh.

He should approach 30 mpg and last year he averaged 14/10 2.5 ast 1.5 blks 1 Stl in the 9 games he played more than 30 minutes (About 34 MPG).

I don't expect him to get 34 mpg but a year of progression and probably getting 30 mpg I think he can approach those numbers this year with the addition of maybe 0.5 3's on 50 FG% and 80 FT%. That right there is a near top 50 guy and he'll be a stud in his prime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

If I compare WCJ to Bryant, I think Bryant will likely get more rebounds, points, threes, and much higher FG.  FT is a wash on low volume.  I suppose WCJ beats him in assists and steals, and that's it.  

Bagley vs WCJ....initially I would take Bagely because I'm almost sure he'll get 20/10, whereas WCJ's production, to me, is unclear.  I don't like the offense he's in.  I'm thinking

12-14 points / 9 rebounds / 2 assists / 0.4 threes / 1 steal / 1.3 blocks    whatever % 

Reason I like Bryant the most is his game is already very fantasy friendly and his situation a lot more attractive since he’s easily an offensive option behind Beal - IT2 is still a ? post hip-injury and Wall is likely out for the season. Plus he already got paid, so they should utilize him - Rui could steal some playing time / boards but he’s pretty raw so probably not an immediate threat this season.

Bagley will likely score the most in comparison to these guys we’re talking about, but I doubt he hits 20 behind Fox, Hield, Barnes and Bog but he shouldn’t be far from it (~17 ppg imo) but i dont like his peripheral stats (poor ft, 0.5 3PM and spg + 1 apg), he could improve - but his opportunities are capped with the perimeter players they have.

I actually have WCJ essentially replicating his numbers pre-Boylen at best:

12 ppg (50% fg, 79% ft), 0.2 3PM, 7.5 rpg, 2 apg, 0.7 spg with 1.6 bpg and 2 TO

Because he’s still the fourth option at best (Zach, Lauri and OPJ) and has another player behind him who can steal 10-20 mins (Gafford).

• Like 1

As mentioned, I'm not sure the coaching situation is great here. WCJr played 13 minutes in a game last season and Boylen said "You learn by sitting too." Yes WCJr wasn't playing great that game, but I get the sense Boylen is from that old school of thought where instead of letting rookies learn on the fly and reviewing mistakes post-game, he'll pull them out, chew them out, and make them scared to make the mistake again. Maybe it works, but not great for fantasy value.

Another negative, Boylen also doesn't utilize his players' skills yet. Shades of Thibs and other passing bigs in that regard:

Wendell Carter also came into the league with above-average passing ability for a big. While original head coach Fred Hoiberg sought to use this, the skill was less-utilized under successor Jim Boylen. Under Hoiberg, Carter’s 13.7 assist percentage was 12th-best among centers that played at least 15 minutes per game. That percentage dropped to 9.5 percent under Boylen, 31st under the same criteria.

Boylen also didn't allow WCJr to shoot as many long-range shots as he did under Hoidberg, even though that's seen as a skill that he can more easily develop given his successes shooting in college. 

So while I really like WCJr's statset, he's in a suboptimal coaching situation. I'd really like to hear some encouraging words from Boylen to make me draft him above my more proven bigs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am probably one of WCJ's biggest fans on this board. He can do anything a big is asked to do in the modern NBA. The problem is, his coaches didn't know how to use him and most NBA fans didn't get to see him play much. But he can guard multiple positions, switch onto smaller players, protect the rim, play small ball, facilitate, shoot the 3 ball, etc. Not to mention, the kid also has some moves in the post. I remember watching the game he broke his finger vs the Lakers. He put a move so nasty on Tyson Chandler, almost made him loose his shoes. He really put him through the spin cycle. 19 year old rookie bigs don't fool 15 year vets like Chandler like that. Then the next play he breaks his finger lol. Just one of those "what if" seasons for WCJ really. People forget how good he is. And are we really worried about Gafford? Everyone is complaining that Boylen doesn't like young players and he won't give them minutes but yet you have people saying Gafford will steal a bunch of minutes from WCJ. Can't have it both ways. Gafford will make mistakes and be in the dog house throughout the season. Someone has to play backup center to WCJ anyways. Felicno (whatever his name is) is not a threat and Kornet is just a limited stretch big. This is WCJ's position to lose and once he gets back on the court, he'll show what he's got. I'll say 15/9 in 28 minutes, with 2.5 assists, .7 steals, 1.7 blocks, and good efficiency. Of course, if Boylen let's him run 30+ minutes his numbers will go up. Could happen later in the year, probably wouldn't except that to start the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

I am probably one of WCJ's biggest fans on this board. He can do anything a big is asked to do in the modern NBA. The problem is, his coaches didn't know how to use him and most NBA fans didn't get to see him play much. But he can guard multiple positions, switch onto smaller players, protect the rim, play small ball, facilitate, shoot the 3 ball, etc. Not to mention, the kid also has some moves in the post. I remember watching the game he broke his finger vs the Lakers. He put a move so nasty on Tyson Chandler, almost made him loose his shoes. He really put him through the spin cycle. 19 year old rookie bigs don't fool 15 year vets like Chandler like that. Then the next play he breaks his finger lol. Just one of those "what if" seasons for WCJ really. People forget how good he is. And are we really worried about Gafford? Everyone is complaining that Boylen doesn't like young players and he won't give them minutes but yet you have people saying Gafford will steal a bunch of minutes from WCJ. Can't have it both ways. Gafford will make mistakes and be in the dog house throughout the season. Someone has to play backup center to WCJ anyways. Felicno (whatever his name is) is not a threat and Kornet is just a limited stretch big. This is WCJ's position to lose and once he gets back on the court, he'll show what he's got. I'll say 15/9 in 28 minutes, with 2.5 assists, .7 steals, 1.7 blocks, and good efficiency. Of course, if Boylen let's him run 30+ minutes his numbers will go up. Could happen later in the year, probably wouldn't except that to start the season. 

I wouldn't be worried about Gafford at all.  He's too raw, and he's nowhere near the skill level of WCJ.  I could see closer to 30+ min... 

Tue, Oct 1

Wendell Carter Jr. sprained his left ankle during Tuesday's practice.

Advice: This guy just can't seem to catch a break. His rookie year was cut short due to a thumb injury, and he required offseason surgery to deal with a core muscle issue, so expect the Bulls to be cautious in bringing him back from this ankle injury. For what it's worth, head coach Jim Boylen called the injury minor and listed WCJ as day-to-day, but given his track record with health, he should be bumped down a few spots on your draft board.

31 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Tue, Oct 1

Wendell Carter Jr. sprained his left ankle during Tuesday's practice.

Advice: This guy just can't seem to catch a break. His rookie year was cut short due to a thumb injury, and he required offseason surgery to deal with a core muscle issue, so expect the Bulls to be cautious in bringing him back from this ankle injury. For what it's worth, head coach Jim Boylen called the injury minor and listed WCJ as day-to-day, but given his track record with health, he should be bumped down a few spots on your draft board.

Definitely not the start we wanted but I still think he could be in for a BIG year if given the minutes, which he should be given considering the players around him. 

48 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Damn 2 days 2 injuries for WCJ LOL he gonna be WTH all year second coming of AD damn I shoulda drafted Thad and Gafford

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

Damn 2 days 2 injuries for WCJ LOL he gonna be WTH all year second coming of AD damn I shoulda drafted Thad and Gafford

Just highlights that young doesn’t equate to healthy. 

2 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

Just highlights that young doesn’t equate to healthy. 

He's just getting out the little ticky-tack injuries before the season begins and he helps us win our leagues!

11 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's just getting out the little ticky-tack injuries before the season begins and he helps us win our leagues!

Or before the big one hits!

Going to challenge AD for lead league in locker room visits. Not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings about drafting him with some many bigs spread throughout the drafts this season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This kid is new Wenday-to-day Carter Jr. I just hope he is not another Greg Oden or Antonio McDyess in the making. He has every tool to be one of the top 5 center one day. Just gotta stay healthy somehow. 

Edited by csklmf

I think people gotta chill out a little bit here. Yes, he's had injuries but he's not even in his 2nd season yet. Last year, he tore the ligaments in his thumb down in the post, not exactly some chronic soft tissue injury. Wouldn't bank on it happening again. Now he's had these two injuries that, from a distance, don't look good, however, they are not really all that serious. He'll have his moments throughout the season where he goes to the locker room, but it's wayyy too early to say he'll be on AD's previous level of that. Or that he could be the next Oden. C'mon now.

• Like 1

All I know is that I have to trade this dude ASAP.  Now, he’s dealing with a tweaked surgically repaired thumb. SMH, was so happy to draft him @ 105.

18 minutes ago, Taipan said:

All I know is that I have to trade this dude ASAP.  Now, he’s dealing with a tweaked surgically repaired thumb. SMH, was so happy to draft him @ 105.

He doesn't seem to be bothered by it lol.

I watched the game and was encouraged. He definitely looked rusty offensively but he also looked spry and particularly active on the defensive end. Also had three impressive blocks.