dudewithabadcat

Ty Johnson 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, K197040 said:

So what did you think after you watched it.  I saw it negatively while someone else was encouraged by it.  I’m curious if I’m the minority on this.  

Honestly, I talked poorly upon him somewhere in this thread recently, and I thought he looked just as good as the best clip I’ve seen of him in college. I haven’t been able to watch the past couple games even though I’m from the mitten because I work second shift so I found it encouraging. Seemed pretty decisive to me. I still don’t think he’s as quick as all these 40 times I’m hearing but that’s my only knock is he isn’t the flash.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, K197040 said:

So what did you think after you watched it.  I saw it negatively while someone else was encouraged by it.  I’m curious if I’m the minority on this.  

I rewatched every offensive snap and came away encouraged. Ty finished a couple plays hard lowering his shoulder through contact. He showed a willingness to get north/south and get what was blocked for him. KJ had that bobble and another bad drop that hit him right in the hands. KJ also had two runs where he tried to jump over the line when it wasn’t a short yardage situation. He also danced behind the line and got tackled on another run.

32 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

I rewatched every offensive snap and came away encouraged. Ty finished a couple plays hard lowering his shoulder through contact. He showed a willingness to get north/south and get what was blocked for him. KJ had that bobble and another bad drop that hit him right in the hands. KJ also had two runs where he tried to jump over the line when it wasn’t a short yardage situation. He also danced behind the line and got tackled on another run.

I already explained to someone else about the “bobble”. In any event, I don’t own KJ.   

On those two T.Y. runs, he did get was blocked but it looked like he was swerving and that it took him a lot of vertical space to get his body going in the other direction.  Others saw something different so maybe I’m wrong. 

21 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I already explained to someone else about the “bobble”. In any event, I don’t own KJ.   

On those two T.Y. runs, he did get was blocked but it looked like he was swerving and that it took him a lot of vertical space to get his body going in the other direction.  Others saw something different so maybe I’m wrong. 

The fact of the matter still remains, if KJ went down, this dude would only become the larger part of a committee with whatever scrub they picked up to replace him. 

Edit: In a system, though trying to replicate patriot culture, has hard a hard time this century outside of Barry running the ball in general. Let alone supporting multiple fantasy backs 

Edited by itschief33

47 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

The fact of the matter still remains, if KJ went down, this dude would only become the larger part of a committee with whatever scrub they picked up to replace him. 

Edit: In a system, though trying to replicate patriot culture, has hard a hard time this century outside of Barry running the ball in general. Let alone supporting multiple fantasy backs 

You don't hold this guy as a pure handcuff. You hold him on the (I think very likely) chance that he plays his way into a 50-50 split.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

You don't hold this guy as a pure handcuff. You hold him on the (I think very likely) chance that he plays his way into a 50-50 split.

On the contrary, that’s why I haven’t picked him up. 50% of the lions run game is useless to me personally. But other people have different league settings and I can appreciate that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

Just stop dude, you're using a play where he scored a 30 yard TD as a knock against him. We get it you hate KJ, stop repeating this same nonsense over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Just stop dude, you're using a play where he scored a 30 yard TD as a knock against him. We get it you hate KJ, stop repeating this same nonsense over and over again.

I don’t hate him. Sorry you feel that way. I have no feelings in this game we call fantasy football. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, LuckyLukas said:

Hype is so strong Im asking myself if I should drop Macks boot for this dude..he seems to be a generational talent..combination of kamara diggs and hester with a little bit of Roy helu jr ....seriously what leagues are we talking about?

🍍 THE FLYIN' HAWAIIAN! 🍍

the man, the myth ... the legend 

you, good sir, get all my likes for the genius talent evaluation 👍

1 hour ago, LuckyLukas said:

Hype is so strong Im asking myself if I should drop Macks boot for this dude..he seems to be a generational talent..combination of kamara diggs and hester with a little bit of Roy helu jr....seriously what leagues are we talking about?

You forgot Christine Michael 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuckyLukas said:

Hype is so strong Im asking myself if I should drop Macks boot for this dude..he seems to be a generational talent..combination of kamara diggs and hester with a little bit of Roy helu jr....seriously what leagues are we talking about?

With a little Ryan Torain 

6 hours ago, pushaZ said:

He’s a 6th round backup with 8 touches on the year (compared to the starter who has 32 touches)....what in the world could possibly make you think this is heading to a 50/50 split?

The knocks against Kerryon are that he scored a 30 yard TD, bobbled one pass, and tried to jump a pile to get a short yardage first down? This thread is LOL-worthy.

Kerryon ranked 5th in the entire NFL in 2018 in DVOA. I’m not sure how you argue the “eye test” for Ty and then look at Kerryon’s 2018 footage and not think he passes that same “eye test.”

Ty is a handcuff, through and through.

• Thanks 1

I added bc I like the Detroit run game and KJ it seems will always have his workload limited. 8-10 touches makes Ty flex-worthy in 12 team leagues. If anything happens to KJ you obviously benefit as Perkins stands no likely chance on passing Ty on the depth chart. This all goes without saying that the coaching staff liked Ty enough to let go of CJ. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ruut6 said:

He’s a 6th round backup with 8 touches on the year (compared to the starter who has 32 touches)....what in the world could possibly make you think this is heading to a 50/50 split?

The knocks against Kerryon are that he scored a 30 yard TD, bobbled one pass, and tried to jump a pile to get a short yardage first down? This thread is LOL-worthy.

Kerryon ranked 5th in the entire NFL in 2018 in DVOA. I’m not sure how you argue the “eye test” for Ty and then look at Kerryon’s 2018 footage and not think he passes that same “eye test.”

65-35 split is a reasonable projection. Anything around that makes him more than a handcuff, through and through. 

Plus Kerryon probably misses two games (at least). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Magoo said:

65-35 split is a reasonable projection. Anything around that makes him more than a handcuff, through and through. 

Based on the first two games, it’s going to be more like a 55/30/10/5 with every back getting a few touches.

Getting 7-8 touches a game is a handcuff. It’s an RB that you’re not going to start (no offense, but I hope not) but are holding in case of an injury to the guy ahead of him.

That is the definition of a handcuff.

9 hours ago, itschief33 said:

I don't think there's a backup in the league that steps in as a full bellcow. Are you saying KJ currently has no value in his current role? Because if he got hurt that's essentially what Ty would presumably walk into. 

If you don't see value in owning handcuffs at all, then I guess that's up to you. But at this moment Ty looks like he'll have a decent workload now, and one that would obviously increase if KJ went down. 

43 minutes ago, Magoo said:

This could end up being true. Personally, I don't hold players in the hopes that the starter will get injured. Not because it's bad form, but because it relies almost entirely on luck. And you end up holding a guy that gets you maybe 5 points a game (which doesn't help), and you miss players off waivers/FA that can help.  Secondly, 40% isn't going to be nearly enough for a Lions RB.  If he has another game of 6 for 30 yards, that's 6ypc, which is great, but it's only 3 points, which is terrible.  I love boarding hype trains, so i'm not advocating stepping off.  But planning on holding a backup lions rb all season in the hopes for an injury that may never happen is something I personally try to avoid.  I dropped Justin Jackson week 2 because his 5 points/game aren't doing me any favors.  

Surprisingly active thread for this guy named Ty.

Curious where everyone would rank him among other backup favorites?

For example: A. Mattison, T. Pollard, and J. Hill.

Personally, I'd rank him far behind all three.

8 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

I would rather have TJ than Pollard or Hill. TJ could have stand alone flex value as well as being an upside handcuff. Pollard and Hill are just handcuffs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

It all depends on what you prefer.  Stand alone value it's TY since he will get more touches than the others on a weekly basis.  Or so it seems.  Possibly a 30-40% snap/touch share.  The other 3 provide higher upside should the lead back on the team miss time.  Mattison and Pollard would likely be RB2's, with the potential to be more, were they to find themselves starting for their respective teams.  Hill I have slotted below those 2.   

For me it would be based on feel and need.  Who I felt was the most likely to see time (Cook's injury history sticks out for example) and whether or not I needed an emergency player at RB due to not having an option on my bench (this would make TJ more attractive).  Of the 4 only TJ really has emergency playability (or so we assume with CJAs release).  I have Mattison in a league and I don't own Cook.  I want to add TJ but am trying to figure out if I should add Wilkins since I own Mack.  That's where I am on these guys.

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

It all depends on what you prefer.  Stand alone value it's TY since he will get more touches than the others on a weekly basis.  Or so it seems.  Possibly a 30-40% snap/touch share.  The other 3 provide higher upside should the lead back on the team miss time.  Mattison and Pollard would likely be RB2's, with the potential to be more, were they to find themselves starting for their respective teams.  Hill I have slotted below those 2.   

For me it would be based on feel and need.  Who I felt was the most likely to see time (Cook's injury history sticks out for example) and whether or not I needed an emergency player at RB due to not having an option on my bench (this would make TJ more attractive).  Of the 4 only TJ really has emergency playability (or so we assume with CJAs release).  I have Mattison in a league and I don't own Cook.  I want to add TJ but am trying to figure out if I should add Wilkins since I own Mack.  That's where I am on these guys.

Solid take.

I'm a K. Johnson owner so obviously interested.

That said, I've got a ton of RB depth with lots of RBs who are "playable" in a pinch -- M. Sanders, R. Burkhead, AP (along with starters Barkley, Ekeler, K. Johnson). 

For me, I'm thinking lotto ticket vs. playability.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Based on the first two games, it’s going to be more like a 55/30/10/5 with every back getting a few touches.

Getting 7-8 touches a game is a handcuff. It’s an RB that you’re not going to start (no offense, but I hope not) but are holding in case of an injury to the guy ahead of him.

That is the definition of a handcuff.

No way in hell does dirty Paul perkins and McKissic get that much play at 15%

36 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Well above the first two as Cook and Elliott ARE bellcows. Those two will never see the field really. The hype for Ty also has to do with the situation with the Lions. The Lions ALWAYS use a committee of 2 at least. And Kerryeon already seems to be slowing down and didn’t fit the bellcow mode even in the beginning.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

No way in hell does dirty Paul perkins and McKissic get that much play at 15%

That would look like about 15 touches for Kerryon, 7 touches for Ty, 3 touches for Mckissic and a touch or two for Perkins. That seeems about right. 

2 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

Jamaal Williams is getting a 50/50 split with Aaron Jones

Undrafted Philip Lindsay came out of nowhere to get more than a 50/50 split with Royce Freeman who was playing well all year

Kerryon lost out on 150 plus carries last year to LeGarrette Blount and was sat despite being completely healthy towards the end of the year. Kerryon was also losing 8 rushes per game so far this year only to CJ Anderson, who's awful.

Patriots yearly rotating at least two backs despite talent disparities between them virtually every year

Kerryon with injury issues dating back to college.

50/50 split? Yeah that's on the high end of outcomes. A 60/40 split still makes Ty quite valuable in any decently sized league. Don't forget coaches also get to see these people play every day in practice, I doubt they're relying on just 8 touches (although Ty's touches so far have been quite a pretty thing to see).