Sign in to follow this  
dudewithabadcat

Ty Johnson 2019 Outlook

I respect what @Sternes is conveying here, but opportunity trumps about anything in fantasy and the kid is 21 and might just be getting better too? He clearly has some crude measurables that show he is a dynamic athlete...perhaps he has taken the pro opportunity and grown as a player now-- at least enough to show the DET staff he is capable of being a major component of the RB rotation. This is exactly what you want when filling out a deeper league roster.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

No he hasn't.  He caught 29 passes in college. 29.  By seasons he had 2/16/5/6.   He currently has 2 catches for 6 yards on the Lions.  Elite? 

He is nothing like Cohen.  He can't make people miss.  Have you watched him play at all? 

I have no shares and haven’t seen Johnson play much in college. But I will say, college receptions aren’t the best measure to use. Because for instance, before this season, no one would ever know if LSU RBs had elite passing skills or not because LSU just simply has not thrown to RBs for years. It was not part of the offensive scheme or gameplan. It is now, thankfully, but it hasn’t been. 

Now that is not commentary on Ty or a statement that he is or isn’t a good receiver. I’m just saying that receptions in college isn’t the best way to gauge that skill. Jmho. 

K Johnson is very injury prone and they still cut CJ. Says a TON about how they value Ty. I think he's one of the best stashes that you can pick up for free right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lions' Ty Johnson: Poised for increased role

• By RotoWire Staff
  • 3h ago • 1 min read
  • UPDATE 3h ago

DET.svg

Johnson will take over as the Lions' No. 2 running back after C.J. Anderson was released, Tim Twentyman of the Lions' official site reports.

Johnson was efficient but not overly productive for Maryland in college, generating 7.7 YPC, 506 yards and three touchdowns in his senior season. The rookie sixth-round pick impressed during limited action Week 2 versus the Chargers, rushing six times for 36 yards and catching both of his targets for six yards. Johnson has the foundation to be a stud as well with a 4.26-second 40-yard dash, and the Lions clearly feel comfortable with him if they released Anderson. The Lions fed Anderson 16 touches through the first two games, and Johnson figures to absorb a good chunk of those moving forward, although he's still playing second fiddle behind Kerryon Johnson.

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

His highlights aren't even good.  I saw the same type of hype with Dwayne Washington.  I just don't see it.

Thank you for the link.  The scoring is trash.  There is no correlation between what it is trying to measure and the results.  They are random players listed all over that make no sense like a guy like L. Murray, D. Washington, and M. LeShoure being better pass catchers than D. Freeman.  It is trying to quantify stuff without any context of the usage.  Factoring in target share for instance, doesn't make any sense.  It reminds of QPR.  Yeah, passer rating wasn't perfect, but you can see the flaws because we know how it is calculated.  This sort of gives us the information, but again, what is it trying to solve?  I don't see the purpose of the metric when I can see with my own two eyes if the guy can catch a ball or not.

Flawed for sure, but I still think it has some merit. I like the upside with Johnson to develop into an NFL change of pace back, but I could be wrong. Regardless, he's a fun player to watch, and those are the guys I like to have.

Ty is going to open a lot of eyes with more playing time.  Hes special.   I'm not so sure he isn't better than Kerryon Johnson already.  I see it somewhat as a Mark Ingram Alvin Kamara type comparison.  

Edited by dorsett33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Sternes said:

I don't care what made up fairy tale crap that is from.   Give me a breakdown of what a satellite score is, and how they can pull random numbers out of it based on such a small size.

"adjusting his receiving contributions for overall offensive involvement indicates that Ty Johnson should be a high-quality receiving back in the NFL"

Can you even explain to me what this means?

Have. you. watched. him. play?  He isn't shifty, and he isn't smooth. He isn't laterally quick, and at best he sort of weaves through a hole rather than cuts and explodes.

The part calling him a "big" back was at least good for a laugh.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing.  But you sound upset and try too hard to bash TJ.  Which is not constructive.  This tells me you might be a Kerryon owner, a mad Lions fan or just irrational. 

All are traits of someone I would not take an advice from.

Edited by Zangief80
  • Like 1

Is he the next kamara though? I’m not picking him up otherwise...

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Zangief80 said:

I am not agreeing or disagreeing.  But you sound upset and try too hard to bash TJ.  Which is not constructive.  This tells me you might be a Kerryon owner, a mad Lions fan or just irrational. 

All are traits of not someone I would take an advice from.

Kerryon owners are the most sensitive bunch out there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Is he the next kamara though? I’m not picking him up otherwise...

People are still deciding if him or Justice Hill are the next Kamara. Pick up both to corner the market

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, owenmills said:

People are still deciding if him or Justice Hill are the next Kamara. Pick up both to corner the market

with Bilgewater at the helm Kamara isn't even the next Kamara  🦃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about the next Philip Lindsay does that stick?

Good chance he gets 40% of the snaps. Lions will never give Kerryon over 60% consistently. They really like what they have in this Ty kid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zangief80 said:

All are traits of someone I would not take an advice from.

He's a mad Lions fan.  Try not to hold it against him, we've been through a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Patty Matt is a Belichick clone, he doesn’t fall in love with one running back. This will be a timeshare and TJ will get meaningful snaps.

• Like 1

talk to me, fam ... im'ma take a peek at this kid - Kerryon looks smoooooove enuff, but i don't think he'll ever be a bellcow. 

::RADAR::

🌊

If you play in any PPR format this guy is a must add right now while he's going under the radar.

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Thanks 1

Where do we rank him among these handcuffs in order:

Ito

Justin Jackson

Mattison 

Jeff Wilson Jr.

This is the tier I have Ty in so that's why I ask

Edited by dfstout

Just now, dfstout said:

Where do we rank him among these handcuffs in order:

Ito

Justin Jackson

Mattison 

Jeff Wilson Jr.

Mattison 

JJ

Ty

Ito

🏐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So does this guy officially have the RW League Winner seal of approval?

• Haha 3

A few weeks ago in a pro-Kerryon moment I said a guy like Ty Johnson would be out of the league in a few years. 

He graded out sub-5 in his NFL scouting report. 

He doesn't show anything particularly special as a runner on his college tape. 

He couldn't hold off McFarland or Fleet-Davis in his final year at Maryland. 

That said, the Lions clearly see something and his YPC in his limited work show that there might be something there.

Edited by P@ckersFan