Sign in to follow this  
dudewithabadcat

Ty Johnson 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, devaster said:

"Passing the eye test" is the first syndrome of the overhype addiction.

You beat me to this comment LOL. 

2 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

This guy is as sure of a thing as there is. I think you can expect 15 touches with 100 combined yards right off the bat.  And that's just for starts! These numbers will increase with each passing week.  Check out this guys draft profile from his time in college.  Another plus is he comes from one of the most decorated football programs, not to mention a pro-system, the Univ. of Maryland. And if that's not enough, just check out his production from last week.  Six yards per carry is all you need to know.  He makes the most of every play and gives this Detroit offense the dynamic playmaking ability they desperately need. If you're not on the train full swing, you need to be, because it will depart with or with you.  

I mean it's a stretch but yeah let's hope for this...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

I mean it's a stretch but yeah let's hope for this...

Not that much of a stretch. Maryland just produced DJ Moore. They're turning into a football hotbed. It's possible Jackie Battle went there too. Not sure if that's true, just spitballing now

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

This guy is as sure of a thing as there is. I think you can expect 15 touches with 100 combined yards right off the bat.  And that's just for starts! These numbers will increase with each passing week.  Check out this guys draft profile from his time in college.  Another plus is he comes from one of the most decorated football programs, not to mention a pro-system, the Univ. of Maryland. And if that's not enough, just check out his production from last week.  Six yards per carry is all you need to know.  He makes the most of every play and gives this Detroit offense the dynamic playmaking ability they desperately need. If you're not on the train full swing, you need to be, because it will depart with or with you.  

You are one radical SOB

• Thanks 1

I like the upside here I won't lie.   In part because Detroit doesn't seem to want to give KJ a dominant amount of touches, he missed time with injury last year so who knows, and factoring in what a 40% share could mean for a big play RB like TJ.   The flip side is that Detroit still has 4 games remaining vs Chicago & Minny.  

18 hours ago, owenmills said:

But when I watch the highlight reel and 50% of the "highlights" are 25-30 yard kickoff returns...

It's a reel from the first half of 2018. Haters seem to be judging him based on a poorly made youtube vid.

Just look at his yardage per carry throughout college: 7.1 as a freshman, 9.1 as soph, 6.6 as junior and 7.7 as senior. Those numbers are on a crappy team albeit behind a good line.

Ran 4.20s 40 and 27 bench reps at Maryland pro day.

He's got some flaws (Sternes mentions his issues above thread) but there is a ton to be positive about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I like the upside here I won't lie.   In part because Detroit doesn't seem to want to give KJ a dominant amount of touches, he missed time with injury last year so who knows, and factoring in what a 40% share could mean for a big play RB like TJ.   The flip side is that Detroit still has 4 games remaining vs Chicago & Minny.  

How does a team giving their star RB limited (16ish) touches to keep him fresh give another RB higher upside?

Upside in fantasy is high usage, usually for s backup whose starter gets injured. Detroit preserving KJ’s health wouldn’t raise Ty’s upside, it lowers it.

56 minutes ago, Finisher said:

It's a reel from the first half of 2018. Haters seem to be judging him based on a poorly made youtube vid.

Just look at his yardage per carry throughout college: 7.1 as a freshman, 9.1 as soph, 6.6 as junior and 7.7 as senior. Those numbers are on a crappy team albeit behind a good line.

Ran 4.20s 40 and 27 bench reps at Maryland pro day.

He's got some flaws (Sternes mentions his issues above thread) but there is a ton to be positive about.

4.26 at his pro day.  4.45 at the combine.

Who was holding the stopwatch, his mom?

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

Tidepod Johnson.  Sounds great. 

2 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

4.26 at his pro day.  4.45 at the combine.

Who was holding the stopwatch, his mom?

He wasn't invited to the combine.

"However, at Maryland's football pro day, scouts from 29 NFL teams, plus scouts from two Arena Football League teams and one Canadian Football League team were present to observe the workouts of 15 Maryland players, including Johnson. Johnson impressed scouts by running a 40-yard dash time clocked by most scouts as anywhere between 4.3 and 4.4 seconds, with one scout reportedly timing Johnson as fast as 4.26 seconds."

Edited by Finisher
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zangief80 said:

I am not agreeing or disagreeing.  But you sound upset and try too hard to bash TJ.  Which is not constructive.  This tells me you might be a Kerryon owner, a mad Lions fan or just irrational. 

All are traits of someone I would not take an advice from.

No, I'm telling it like I see it.  I don't see the excitement.  Same thing I saw from Washington.  Everyone loved his measureables but he couldn't run worth a lick.

How is giving my assessment not constructive?  Should I falsely build him up?  This is a fantasy football forum.  I gave my read on him. I also said to add him as a handcuff on page 1.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Finisher said:

He wasn't invited to the combine.

"However, at Maryland's football pro day, scouts from 29 NFL teams, plus scouts from two Arena Football League teams and one Canadian Football League team were present to observe the workouts of 15 Maryland players, including Johnson. Johnson impressed scouts by running a 40-yard dash time clocked by most scouts as anywhere between 4.3 and 4.4 seconds, with one scout reportedly timing Johnson as fast as 4.26 seconds."

So he ran a 4.35. Lol.

One scout incorrectly timing a 40 yard dash is where this 4.26 came from?

9 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

So he ran a 4.35. Lol.

One scout incorrectly timing a 40 yard dash is where this 4.26 came from?

Are you implying 4.35 is bad?

Kerryon ran 4.54 at his pro day. Guess he sucks. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

https://expandtheboxscore.com/articles/ty-johnson-spotlight/

I'll say this right now. You guys read this article on TY and it's gonna make you go quietly pick him up if you haven't already and stash him lol.

I trust Andy's evaluations. Was already excited for Ty and this just locks it in. Love how smoothly he catches the ball and transitions into a playmaker. He's like the anti Jordan Howard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

Are you implying 4.35 is bad?

Not in the slightest.

12 hours ago, dorsett33 said:

Ty is going to open a lot of eyes with more playing time.  Hes special.   I'm not so sure he isn't better than Kerryon Johnson already.  I see it somewhat as a Mark Ingram Alvin Kamara type comparison.  

By my count, that's now 7 NFL rookies that are the next Alvin Kamara.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Reminds me of the NBA draft this year. Every other player reminded someone of Kawhi Leonard. People aren't very original.

• Haha 1

It's simple. If you have someone useless sitting at the end of your bench and there isn't someone better available, just put this guy on your bench for now. With how fragile Kerryon is, it's worth a shot.

I'm just treating him like a handcuff. I think expecting anything else is silly. 

33 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I wish my leagues had more bench spots 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dms80790 said:

It's simple. If you have someone useless sitting at the end of your bench and there isn't someone better available, just put this guy on your bench for now. With how fragile Kerryon is, it's worth a shot.

I'm just treating him like a handcuff. I think expecting anything else is silly. 

Alexander Mattison is that guy and Im not even a Cook owner. What say you?

This guy is more than a handcuff... It's not because of how Kerryon is playing that CJ was released. This guy is gonna get all of CJs carries. 11 in week 1 for CJ and 10 between the two of them in week 2. At 6 yards a pop that's 60 a game and it's with goal line potential.

Kamara no, I still don't see why he can't be this year's Philip Lindsay.

Edited by pushaZ

3 minutes ago, GangGreen89 said:

Alexander Mattison is that guy and Im not even a Cook owner. What say you?

Yeah I'd prefer Mattison right now. Dude looks like a beast and Cook is certainly not immune to injury