flippy

Kyrie Irving 2019-2020 Outlook

Lots of mileage on this guy and I've always passed up on him for the obvious reasons. 60ish games IMO as well but who knows.

2 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

LeVert will feast when this guy inevitably goes out. 

how about dinwiddie?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kane said:

how about dinwiddie?

Absolutely but LeVert is clearly the 2nd best player on this team this season. Can you imagine the tutelage LeVert will soak up from 2 superstars? When he hits his prime 28, Irving will be 31 & KD 34 likely under load management, or even more likely on other teams. 

6 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

Can you imagine the tutelage LeVert will soak up from 2 superstars? 

Is Kyrie the tutoring type? I'd imagine there are a few Celtic$ fans out there that might beg to differ. Is KD the tutoring type? I reckon Levert should have a good year. He was clearly their best player in the series against the 76ers. As for Kyrie: hard pass for me. don't trust his knees nor his temperament. Would rather guys like Beal, Butler, Jrue, kemba, Gobert, Drummond over Kyrie...possibly others too. Someone else's headache.

I love his game -- the efficiency from PG pos is Curry-esque -- but cannot get over the fact you're likely burning a high 2nd round pick for a guy you assume will miss ~15 games and could be sitting a lot in H2H playoffs if BKN is not pressed for seeding, to ensure he's healthy for the PO IRL.  

I view Kyrie much like Embiid, PG & Kawhi in that you become very risk-averse through the early/middle rounds if drafting one of them.  I'd definitely feel uneasy if ending up with Kyrie + any load mgmt poster boys as your #1 & #2.  Missing games from both in the same H2H matchup is not a recipe for success. 

12 hours ago, 80version said:

but cannot get over the fact you're likely burning a high 2nd round pick for a guy you assume will miss ~15 games and could be sitting a lot in H2H playoffs if BKN is not pressed for seeding, to ensure he's healthy for the PO IRL.  

I mean the other options around that area are often Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, PG, sometimes LeBron or Embiid - I think they'll all miss 15 games/get load managed tbh, so Kyrie being in that mix is pretty much on brand.

If he didn't have the missed games probability he'd be right up there under Dame for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, s-kayos said:

I mean the other options around that area are often Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, PG, sometimes LeBron or Embiid - I think they'll all miss 15 games/get load managed tbh, so Kyrie being in that mix is pretty much on brand.

If he didn't have the missed games probability he'd be right up there under Dame for me.

Fair point but it's doubtful Embiid is still available there and I am optimistic LBJ misses less games than the rest, save for Butler.  All of these players are above KI (#14) on my draft board.  I'm still debating whether I'd be more comfortable taking Jrue ahead of him, and can see justify taking Gobert/Drummond/Simmons before him if they pair well with the 1st pick. 

He's great when he plays but this is a guy who has only averaged 63.5 games a year in 8 seasons.  I am looking for more games from a 2nd round pick. 

11 minutes ago, 80version said:

He's great when he plays but this is a guy who has only averaged 63.5 games a year in 8 seasons.  I am looking for more games from a 2nd round pick. 

That's kinda what I'm getting at. Unless you're skipping over all the guys with 1st-round 9-cat upside to get a punt-build guy like Drummond, Gobert, Simmons, all of those guys in the last 1st-early 2nd are missing games.

Using more recent past 3 years, Kyrie averages ~66 games per season. Jimmy Butler is ~66, and even if you take out the season where Kawhi only played 9 games he only comes out to ~68 games. PG is better but he's missing anywhere from the first 2 weeks to the first 6 weeks on a Load Mgmt Woke team, so he'll be around the same.

Beyond that no one else has a 1st-round pedigree history, but I can definitely see people going for Drummond/Gobert or Jrue/Kemba if you want to go that route, but they've never been T20 much less T15 like Kyrie has been the past few years. 

I wouldn't fault anyone for not picking Kyrie though, in H2H those missed games can be killer. I think he'd be easier for me to draft in roto with a games played limit. 

• Like 1

Can anyone explain why Rotoworld says a facial fracture in September means you should bump Kyrie down a few spots on your board? Makes no sense.

35 minutes ago, JStyles said:

Can anyone explain why Rotoworld says a facial fracture in September means you should bump Kyrie down a few spots on your board? Makes no sense.

Dunno, but if this makes Kyrie super cheap on draft day - say a pick in the 20s or something late like that - I'm probably in for that price.

Do facial fractures have a high chance of recurring? Cuzz this is kinda sad for an already injury prone guy.

26 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

Dunno, but if this makes Kyrie super cheap on draft day - say a pick in the 20s or something late like that - I'm probably in for that price.

Do facial fractures have a high chance of recurring? Cuzz this is kinda sad for an already injury prone guy.

If facial fractures were reoccurring then no boxer would fight more than one fight.

3 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

If facial fractures were reoccurring then no boxer would fight more than one fight.

Yeesh, good point. I'm just surprised injuries are starting so early for this dude

1 hour ago, JStyles said:

I agree. Dudes played with a broken face twice before.

1 hour ago, s-kayos said:

Yeesh, good point. I'm just surprised injuries are starting so early for this dude

Sorry I owned him this year. This is the reason why. I owned Hayward in 2017 and dejounte Murray in 2018. I’m surprised kyrie still not out for season. 

Love the game, hate the durability. Always seems to get hurt with minor dings here and there. Would probably rank him in the same tier as Kemba Jrue

bruh i have Irving and PG as my keepers, I might be in trouble this season

Edited by driss lol
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, csklmf said:

Sorry I owned him this year. This is the reason why. I owned Hayward in 2017 and dejounte Murray in 2018. I’m surprised kyrie still not out for season. 

same lol

On 9/26/2019 at 6:56 AM, JStyles said:

Because rotoworld loves to exaggerate

• Like 2

If all stars align and he remains healthy, what are the numbers we can expect?

With a positive view, I will say:

49% / 88% / 2.9 3s / 25 pts / 5 reb / 8ast / 1.5 stl / 0.5 blk / 2.5 TO

That looks like a top 10 player to me. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gooseball said:

If all stars align and he remains healthy, what are the numbers we can expect?

With a positive view, I will say:

49% / 88% / 2.9 3s / 25 pts / 5 reb / 8ast / 1.5 stl / 0.5 blk / 2.5 TO

That looks like a top 10 player to me. 

I think 8 AST from a score-first PG is overly optimistic, to be honest. I know he averaged 6.9 last season with Boston, but prior to that, he only eclipsed the 6 AST mark once. 

The rest looks relatively attainable... I'd probably knock the FG% down a percentage or two though, along with the BLK and STL a tick or two each.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alclayno said:

I think 8 AST from a score-first PG is overly optimistic, to be honest. I know he averaged 6.9 last season with Boston, but prior to that, he only eclipsed the 6 AST mark once. 

The rest looks relatively attainable... I'd probably knock the FG% down a percentage or two though, along with the BLK and STL a tick or two each.

Kyrie is so good but I have to consider that some of his stats could be slight outliers and I wonder if he'll replicate them?

Mainly 1.5 steals, he was closer to 1.1/1.2 the last 3 years.  

6.9 assists career high.  Probably closer to 5.5-6.  

0.5 blk career high, probably closer to 0.3-0.4

5 reb, also a career high

Edited by hipriest69
  • Like 1