Sign in to follow this  
JacobThunder15

Trading Draft Picks Help WHIR

I am new to being able to trade draft picks in a ppr league. Can someone explain the strategy you should use going into it? I am 3rd pick for our draft, but I am not sure if I am in the best spot or if I should be trading picks later

On 8/26/2019 at 10:33 PM, JacobThunder15 said:

I am new to being able to trade draft picks in a ppr league. Can someone explain the strategy you should use going into it? I am 3rd pick for our draft, but I am not sure if I am in the best spot or if I should be trading picks later

You are in a great spot, and there is no need to trade down. If you see an option to fleece someone however, you should of course take it, but remember that the difference between 3rd spot (say Kamara/CMC) and 9th spot (anybody's guess) is substantial.

Generally in order to trade down, you would need an lower rounder in return. For instance if you get a 3rd rounder to trade down from 3 to 9, that's most likely worth it; if you get only a 6th rounder you need to refuse. As you generally have limited roster spots, this means you need to make a larger trade, eg trade your 1st plus 8th round for 2nd plus 3rd, or in your case 3rd overall plus 8th round vs 9th overall plus 3rd round.

What I did to evaluate this in redraft situations (dynasty is tougher) is match auction prices to normal redraft ADPs. That puts a dollar value to each position, and makes it a bit more clear what you are trading. Alternatively if you are the type of idiot that rolls his own projections (ie me), you can do something similar with projected points.

In any case, look for somebody who is very eager to trade up; maybe because they are a fanboy or because they have expressed they're unhappy with their position. The more people are willing to overpay, the better it is.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

You are in a great spot, and there is no need to trade down. If you see an option to fleece someone however, you should of course take it, but remember that the difference between 3rd spot (say Kamara/CMC) and 9th spot (anybody's guess) is substantial.

Generally in order to trade down, you would need an lower rounder in return. For instance if you get a 3rd rounder to trade down from 3 to 9, that's most likely worth it; if you get only a 6th rounder you need to refuse. As you generally have limited roster spots, this means you need to make a larger trade, eg trade your 1st plus 8th round for 2nd plus 3rd, or in your case 3rd overall plus 8th round vs 9th overall plus 3rd round.

What I did to evaluate this in redraft situations (dynasty is tougher) is match auction prices to normal redraft ADPs. That puts a dollar value to each position, and makes it a bit more clear what you are trading. Alternatively if you are the type of idiot that rolls his own projections (ie me), you can do something similar with projected points.

In any case, look for somebody who is very eager to trade up; maybe because they are a fanboy or because they have expressed they're unhappy with their position. The more people are willing to overpay, the better it is.

So it would be better for me to grab a 2nd and 3rd rounder if I trade away my 1st overall? I thought you wanted to trade up because the value isnt as high in the later rounds?

6 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

So it would be better for me to grab a 2nd and 3rd rounder if I trade away my 1st overall? I thought you wanted to trade up because the value isnt as high in the later rounds?

hell no

if you want to move a top 3 pick this year you need a 1st and 2nd rd pick for ur 1st and probably 5- or 6th. (couple picks apart so would look better offering up 5th rder)

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

hell no

if you want to move a top 3 pick this year you need a 1st and 2nd rd pick for ur 1st and probably 5- or 6th. (couple picks apart so would look better offering up 5th rder)

Okay, I just had a guy offer his 1st (10th) 3rd and 5th round for my 1st and 6th but this post confirms that for me. I thought the caliber of player is significantly lower when you get that late in the draft

so basically a 1 and 3 for ur 1 that's not bad.

10 or 12 teams, standard, half, full ppr?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, colepenhagen said:

so basically a 1 and 3 for ur 1 that's not bad.

10 or 12 teams, standard, half, full ppr?

This is a 12 team, full ppr league. Would it benefit me to trade my 2nd and 3rd for a late 1st round pick? I guess I am not seeing the value in the 3rd rounds or later as I should so whatever help I can get I fully appreciate it.

I would want a 1 and a 2 for your 1st minimum. That is too good a spot to move back.  I would probably not want to move up into the late 1st Round though.  Would prefer to keep 2nd and 3rd.  There are still some very very good players that will be available in round 2/3.  

Please help with mine, thanks.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brakeyawself said:

I would want a 1 and a 2 for your 1st minimum. That is too good a spot to move back.  I would probably not want to move up into the late 1st Round though.  Would prefer to keep 2nd and 3rd.  There are still some very very good players that will be available in round 2/3.  

Please help with mine, thanks.

Is there any reason you would try and move up the 2nd then? Trade my 2nd and say a 5th for a high 2nd spot? 

3 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

This is a 12 team, full ppr league. Would it benefit me to trade my 2nd and 3rd for a late 1st round pick? I guess I am not seeing the value in the 3rd rounds or later as I should so whatever help I can get I fully appreciate it.

no 2nd and 3rd is better than late 1st. I would push for a 2nd and you should take the 5th and 6th rd picks out and add in a 7th

no 2nd and 3rd is better than late 1st. I would push for a 2nd and you should take the 5th and 6th rd picks out and add in a 7th

So just for clarification I would trade a 2nd and 7th for a higher 2nd?

Just now, JacobThunder15 said:

So just for clarification I would trade a 2nd and 7th for a higher 2nd?

no im talking about the 1st and 3rd and 5th rd deal 4 ur 1st and 6th. take out  5 an 6 picks and add in a 7th and have him add in a 2nd instead of 3rd

• Thanks 1

no im talking about the 1st and 3rd and 5th rd deal 4 ur 1st and 6th. take out  5 an 6 picks and add in a 7th and have him add in a 2nd instead of 3rd

So his 1st, 2nd for my 1st and 7th? He offered me a deal and I want your opinion. My 1st and 2nd and 6th for his 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 8th. He is 10th round pick in the 1st. With a deal this large and it being my first year I guess I really dont understand just how valuable my picks are.

3 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

So his 1st, 2nd for my 1st and 7th? He offered me a deal and I want your opinion. My 1st and 2nd and 6th for his 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 8th. He is 10th round pick in the 1st. With a deal this large and it being my first year I guess I really dont understand just how valuable my picks are.

you hold all the cards as that top 3 pick is gold. he needs to come to your price. ur 1st and start at 7th and move down to 6th rd pick for his 1st and 2nd rd pick. anything other than that ur not interested.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

you hold all the cards as that top 3 pick is gold. he needs to come to your price. ur 1st and start at 7th and move down to 6th rd pick for his 1st and 2nd rd pick. anything other than that ur not interested.

Really appreciate your help. I dont think he is going to take it because he is trying to rip me off, but we will see. I know the top 3 pick is valuable but I doubt he would try and make a fair deal for his early rounds. He keeps throwing in these late round stuff that I do not have interest in with my late rounds not being traded away. I have already offered him my 1st and 5th for his 1st and 2nd and he wouldnt budge

Edited by JacobThunder15
clarify

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Okay, I just had a guy offer his 1st (10th) 3rd and 5th round for my 1st and 6th but this post confirms that for me. I thought the caliber of player is significantly lower when you get that late in the draft

didn't he already offer this above? if so that 2nd rd pick isn't out of ur reach. id probably go as low ur 1st and 6th for his 1 and 2 you could even add in some later rd flips as a sweetner if you really like whos at 10 and 15 overall 

Edited by colepenhagen

13 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

didn't he already offer this above? if so that 2nd rd pick isn't out of ur reach. id probably go as low ur 1st and 6th for his 1 and 2 you could even add in some later rd flips as a sweetner if you really like whos at 10 and 15 overall 

Yeah he did offer it, but he thinks hes giving up too much. Sad thing is, they all recommended to do this feature and now wont respond if its not a deal they want. Hardly any negotiation 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

Multiple offers on the board for that number 1 pick apparently so I am trying to acquire it to sell it right back for higher. Offered my 2nd, 3rd, and 7th right now and my 2nd, 4th. Was going to see if he would bite on it. Thoughts? The exact same trade I received ( his 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th for my 1st, 2nd, and 6th) was sent out to the guy with number 1. I think I can beat that. 

Edited by JacobThunder15
Reasoning