MysticPeak

Al Horford 2019-2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, kane said:

hmm....I don't think Horford will available in 6th round:rolleyes:

His ADP on Yahoo is 63 right now, he'll be available in the 6th round in plenty of leagues.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jay_00 said:

Hes strictly Do not Draft for me this year. Im almost positive he will take a hit due to his age and the new stacked team hes on.

To be fair, his Boston teams were loaded with talent and almost more importantly, depth. Philly is more top heavy, but the lack of depth probably means he gets staggered and asked to carry more of a load when he is mixed with bench players. But it isn't like he was playing with a bunch of scrubs in Boston. He just doesn't soak up a ton of usage in general and just makes good basketball decisions. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thezing1 said:

To be fair, his Boston teams were loaded with talent and almost more importantly, depth. Philly is more top heavy, but the lack of depth probably means he gets staggered and asked to carry more of a load when he is mixed with bench players. But it isn't like he was playing with a bunch of scrubs in Boston. He just doesn't soak up a ton of usage in general and just makes good basketball decisions. 

 

The major problem here is that his role on the team with Boston was much more different than with the Sixers. He was the only true big on Boston. With the Sixers Embiid is the man, and sliding Horford to PF wont do any favors for him. Embiid already is a solid passer too, so why would they need Horford to set guys up? Only way that happens is if he mixes with bench players like you mention, but for how many minutes will he run with the bench for to have an impact on his stats? Embiid already plays 34 mins, so youre basically hoping Horford plays all 14 of those mins that Embiid is on the bench for. It wont be enough, his numbers will surely take hit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jay_00 said:

 

The major problem here is that his role on the team with Boston was much more different than with the Sixers. He was the only true big on Boston. With the Sixers Embiid is the man, and sliding Horford to PF wont do any favors for him. Embiid already is a solid passer too, so why would they need Horford to set guys up? Only way that happens is if he mixes with bench players like you mention, but for how many minutes will he run with the bench for to have an impact on his stats? Embiid already plays 34 mins, so youre basically hoping Horford plays all 14 of those mins that Embiid is on the bench for. It wont be enough, his numbers will surely take hit.

31, 63, 64 - number of games Embiid played each season. Considering how 34 year old Gasol schooled  Embiid, Sixers will do everything to keep him fresh for playoffs

Nothing to worry about Embiid's impact on Horford

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jay_00 said:

It wont be enough, his numbers will surely take hit.

 

Horford is somewhat of a shapeshifter. Check out his career stats by season here. He used to get 9+ rebounds, but recently has been more like 6. He never shot threes for a while and a few years ago went straight to 1+ made per game. His scoring surged mid-career when he had to lead the Hawks earlier this decade. He also became much more of a facilitator in the last 4-5 years, almost doubling his per game dimes. There is no adjustment this guy can't make to his game. Look at his 2 pt FG% last year, just crushed it. Ask Al to do it, and he can.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO he's still close to being a top 50 guy even on a stacked Sixers team. He's very versatile and can contribute across the board. Never really had high usage in the last few years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

Been totally off on him so far, hes been killing. Still i do not regret not taking the risk on him since hes been killing mainly because of Embiid being out. I went with smarter, safer picks and im doing pretty solid because off it.

Thanks for your input 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

Been totally off on him so far, hes been killing. Still i do not regret not taking the risk on him since hes been killing mainly because of Embiid being out. I went with smarter, safer picks and im doing pretty solid because off it.

 

Very cool story, bro 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jay_00 said:

Been totally off on him so far, hes been killing. Still i do not regret not taking the risk on him since hes been killing mainly because of Embiid being out. I went with smarter, safer picks and im doing pretty solid because off it.

 

😂 FOH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jay_00 said:

Been totally off on him so far, hes been killing. Still i do not regret not taking the risk on him since hes been killing mainly because of Embiid being out. I went with smarter, safer picks and im doing pretty solid because off it.

No, he’s been killing it bc he’s one of the top 30 players irl and fantasy.  He’s not just a fantasy darling. He does whatever his team requires him to do.  He was around 16/8/4/2/1/1 on efficient splits even with Embiid around.  Embiid has little impact on him because he can be a stretch four who gets stocks, shoots threes, passes etc just as easily as he can be a 5.  Maybe he’s even better suited to be a stretch four because he’s an undersized center.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRB mailing Embiid some boxing gloves and buying him a membership to the UFC gym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

No, he’s been killing it bc he’s one of the top 30 players irl and fantasy.  He’s not just a fantasy darling. He does whatever his team requires him to do.  He was around 16/8/4/2/1/1 on efficient splits even with Embiid around.  Embiid has little impact on him because he can be a stretch four who gets stocks, shoots threes, passes etc just as easily as he can be a 5.  Maybe he’s even better suited to be a stretch four because he’s an undersized center.  


Top 30 players in real life? I get you like him, but i think you need to calm down a bit with that praise. Anyway, I doubt he continues that same production for a whole season with Embiid. Its when Embiid sits is when he really kills. And he is better suited to be a four in real life, he always preferred playing PF. He's 33 years old tho playing a position that wasnt the same a few years ago, so thats why i avoided him (plus the new roster). I certainly dont regret it because i dont like to take unnecessary risks in money leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jay_00 said:


Top 30 players in real life? I get you like him, but i think you need to calm down a bit with that praise. Anyway, I doubt he continues that same production for a whole season with Embiid. Its when Embiid sits is when he really kills. And he is better suited to be a four in real life, he always preferred playing PF. He's 33 years old tho playing a position that wasnt the same a few years ago, so thats why i avoided him (plus the new roster). I certainly dont regret it because i dont like to take unnecessary risks in money leagues.

I’m pretty sure that if you polled gms and coaches he would come top 30.  He was the best player on a 60 win team.  

 

But you’re right it really doesn’t matter who you don’t draft.  It only matters who you do draft.  Even the league champ will end up passing on many good players.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jay_00 said:


Top 30 players in real life? I get you like him, but i think you need to calm down a bit with that praise. Anyway, I doubt he continues that same production for a whole season with Embiid. Its when Embiid sits is when he really kills. And he is better suited to be a four in real life, he always preferred playing PF. He's 33 years old tho playing a position that wasnt the same a few years ago, so thats why i avoided him (plus the new roster). I certainly dont regret it because i dont like to take unnecessary risks in money leagues.

 

Who'd you draft instead of Horford and what round did he go in your league? JC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

 

Who'd you draft instead of Horford and what round did he go in your league? JC. 


I have 3 money league teams and i only play roto. I targeted higher ranked bigs like Vucevic, Aldridge, Ayton and Collins, and i took Jonas once since he was kind of a bargain. I have Ayton and Collins on 2 separate teams. Im not worried about Ayton because Baynes is killing in his place. Collins is gonna be a problem for me tho as that team finally reached 2nd place last night after being dead last after the first week of season. There's no way to predict drug suspensions tho, so no i dont regret that either. I also targeted good rebounding/shot blocking guard/forwards.

Edited by jay_00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

I’m pretty sure that if you polled gms and coaches he would come top 30.  He was the best player on a 60 win team.  

 

But you’re right it really doesn’t matter who you don’t draft.  It only matters who you do draft.  Even the league champ will end up passing on many good players.  

 

 

 

I agree with you that Horford is a top 30 player irl. Florida, Hawks, Boston, Philly. He's everything you want in a big. Defends the interior & up to task with perimeter players, can space the floor, sets good screens & passes well, dreamy eyes, & leadership. He's underrated by most because he's not flashy and doesn't talk smack. On forums of teams he's been on, you would always see users saying "Daddy, come home!". The only knock against him is perhaps his reluctance to play the 5. Understandable because he's getting up there in age but when asked to man it, he'll still step up. Horford is that good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jay_00 said:


I have 3 money league teams and i only play roto. I targeted higher ranked bigs like Vucevic, Aldridge, Ayton and Collins, and i took Jonas once since he was kind of a bargain. I have Ayton and Collins on 2 separate teams. Im not worried about Ayton because Baynes is killing in his place. Collins is gonna be a problem for me tho as that team finally reached 2nd place last night after being dead last after the first week of season. There's no way to predict drug suspensions tho, so no i dont regret that either. I also targeted good rebounding/shot blocking guard/forwards.

 

You're basically targeting bigs who are supposed to be ranked higher and go much earlier than Horford. Anyone in this thread will take Vuc/LMA/Ayton/Collins/Jonas (Pre-drug news for Ayton and JC) way before Horford. I thought you had a group of bigs who were comparable to Horford's ADP that you were contemplating on 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

 

You're basically targeting bigs who are supposed to be ranked higher and go much earlier than Horford. Anyone in this thread will take Vuc/LMA/Ayton/Collins/Jonas (Pre-drug news for Ayton and JC) way before Horford. I thought you had a group of bigs who were comparable to Horford's ADP that you were contemplating on 😂


Of course anyone will take those guys over him. The whole point of my draft was to not take unnecessary risks. To avoid the risk of drafting him i instead targeted the higher rank bigs. I also only do auction leagues and guys like Lowry, Bledsoe, Middleton where all going for the 12-22 bucks that Horford was going for, which translates between 4th-5th round. Why take Horford for the same price when i can get those guys instead? All 3 are killing (well Bledsoe started slow, but hes heating up) and their values arent tied to another player like Horfords is. I got Lowry cheaper than Horford in 1 of those leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.