The G Man

Chase Edmonds 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, potatoetree said:

I'm not so sure the Arizona cardinals have a strong schedule for RB. After Falcons and Giants, they get the Saints, 49ers, bucs, 49ers, then a bye. 

The playoff weeks are a little more favorable. 

It's just a volume play. The offense is competent, and this guy will rarely leave the field. Gives him an extremely high floor. He's not an elite talent, but as we know, sometimes situation is more important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This is precisely why I'm always preaching owning handcuffs. You drop some WR on your bench you'd likely only start one week he might go for like two bucks. Guys like Edmonds, Pollard, Mattison, would go for 80%-90% if the starter got seriously hurt. 

 

Handcuffs waste bench space unless they'd be three down RBs if the starter goes down. Having a lot of handcuffs would cost you the opportunity to bid for players like Chark or Waller after week 1. 

 

Edmonds should never be on the WW this late into the season in any competitive league. He is the three-down RB handcuff exception that is worth a bench spot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

It's just a volume play. The offense is competent, and this guy will rarely leave the field. Gives him an extremely high floor. He's not an elite talent, but as we know, sometimes situation is more important. 

Why do we feel he isn't elite? He's showing some great speed and a nose for the endzone in limited touches.

Maybe not elite but he looks good to the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t have time for deep research dive on DJ’s injury and blew FAAB on Chase.

Did some digging and M Lynch missed 1 game with back spasms when he aggravated his back in pre game warm ups weeks after the spasms started. 

I want my FAAB back. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, potatoetree said:

I'm not so sure the Arizona cardinals have a strong schedule for RB. After Falcons and Giants, they get the Saints, 49ers, bucs, 49ers, then a bye. 

The playoff weeks are a little more favorable. 

 

the strength of the Cardinals starting rb lies in ppr ... they are chucking it a ton, very dodgy o-line for consistent rushing, yes ... but those catches add up in a hurry - this kid's almost on par with DJ as an option ootb - fantastic scoop for non DJ owners, essential for those with DJ.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Edmonds could turn out to be nothing more than a handcuff to David Johnson. 

David Johnson, however, is already dealing with an injury that is likely to linger, and unlikely to completely heal. 

Even without the injury, there were indications that the Cardinals liked the way Edmonds was running the ball and wanted to involve him more in the offense. Considering David Johnson's skills as a receiver (and the state of the Cardinals WR group after Larry Fitzgerald), it makes sense that Johnson could be used as a receiver more, leaving more of the traditional RB touches to Edmonds. 

I think it's possible that even if Johnson is out there, there will be a 65/35 split of the touches, with both Edmonds and Johnson seeing work in the passing game. In week 5 we saw this, with Edmonds handling 8 carries and 3 receptions, and turning those 11 touches into 86 total yards and a TD. Johnson handled 17 carries and 3 receptions, and turned those 20 touches into 156 total yards. 

Edmonds is a terrific bench piece right now, with the chance to turn into a borderline RB1 if Johnson were to miss time. 

Edited by mjb03003
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Edmonds could turn out to be nothing more than a handcuff to David Johnson. 

David Johnson, however, is already dealing with an injury that is likely to linger, and unlikely to completely heal. 

Even without the injury, there were indications that the Cardinals liked the way Edmonds was running the ball and wanted to involve him more in the offense. Considering David Johnson's skills as a receiver (and the state of the Cardinals WR group after Larry Fitzgerald), it makes sense that Johnson could be used as a receiver more, leaving more of the traditional RB touches to Edmonds. 

I think it's possible that even if Johnson is out there, there will be a 65/35 split of the touches, with both Edmonds and Johnson seeing work in the passing game. In week 5 we saw this, with Edmonds handling 8 carries and 3 receptions, and turning those 11 touches into 86 total yards and a TD. Johnson handled 17 carries and 3 receptions, and turned those 20 touches into 156 total yards. 

Edmonds is a terrific bench piece right now, with the chance to turn into a borderline RB1 if Johnson were to miss time. 

 

All we really need to know right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

 

All we really need to know right?  

Except it’s not true...he got 156 with that bad back and he will play this Sunday 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

Except it’s not true...he got 156 with that bad back and he will play this Sunday 

 

I'm speculating that a bad back will linger and the prescription for healing does not involve taking repeated hits from NFL linemen and linebackers. 

You're speculating that he's fine, and will definitely play. 

 

The team already said they will monitor him throughout the week and it's not a given he will play on Sunday. Where does your confidence come from?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

Except it’s not true...he got 156 with that bad back and he will play this Sunday 

 

Considering after the game the extreme discomfort he was in after the game adrenaline wore off and Dr. Morse analysis of his health ROS in the DJ thread, if I was a betting man, I'd put my chips in the center of the table to get Edmonds NOW.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FreakFries said:

Didn’t have time for deep research dive on DJ’s injury and blew FAAB on Chase.

Did some digging and M Lynch missed 1 game with back spasms when he aggravated his back in pre game warm ups weeks after the spasms started. 

I want my FAAB back. 

DJ's a talented dude, though not renowned for his quick healing abilities.

Beastmode he ain't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I went ahead and claimed Chase off the wire because, well...as a DJ owner you have to. But, I really think DJ plays. The only question (in my mind) is does he play his normal allotment of snaps, and how well does he play. I do feel better now having Edmonds as DJ's cuff, and if last week's game was any indication think he carves out a role for some stand alone value moving forward. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Edmonds should never be on the WW this late into the season in any competitive league. He is the three-down RB handcuff exception that is worth a bench spot. 

Him, Pollard, Mattison, Jamaal Williams, Armstead, arguably a couple others. 

9 hours ago, Sticky2 said:

Why do we feel he isn't elite? He's showing some great speed and a nose for the endzone in limited touches.

Maybe not elite but he looks good to the eyes.

Undersized, numbers last year were extremely ordinary, no big-time college programs had any interest, pretty ordinary combine numbers. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Him, Pollard, Mattison, Jamaal Williams, Armstead, arguably a couple others. 

Undersized, numbers last year were extremely ordinary, no big-time college programs had any interest, pretty ordinary combine numbers. 

He's got a 50th percentile BMI, that's well above average. Also put up elite agility numbers and was a big time producer in college. You're selling him short. No idea if he's "elite" or not, but he's a talented young player with a good all around skill set. If forced into a starting role Edmonds will produce. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Him, Pollard, Mattison, Jamaal Williams, Armstead, arguably a couple others. 

Undersized, numbers last year were extremely ordinary, no big-time college programs had any interest, pretty ordinary combine numbers. 

I feel like this is very similar to the discussion about David Johnson in 2015 when Chris Johnson was starting to wear down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmonds has skills that are very FF friendly.  DJ is banged up with a bad back that will probably only get worse if he continues to play.

 

Edmonds is a must stash play NOW.  If you wait, you won't be able to get him later.  

 

The DJ owner in my league (and others that don't own Edmonds) is probably sweating bullets right now as I write this post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

DJ owner in my league (and others that don't own Edmonds) is probably sweating bullets right now as I write this post.  

 

With a post as dramatic as this I'm curious to see what the DJ owner's team in your league looks like. I need to know if he is or should be sweating bullets. As a DJ owner myself, I can tell you that I'm not, but everyone's situation is different, obviously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the trade value half ppr redraft of Edmonds to DJ owner say WR wise. ? Names/Tier of players you would give if you had DJ? Thanks !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tread_Lightly said:

What is the trade value half ppr redraft of Edmonds to DJ owner say WR wise. ? Names/Tier of players you would give if you had DJ? Thanks !!!

Wait til Friday.  You won't get anything today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Meanwhile, running back David Johnson worked on the side after a back injury limited him during the Cardinals’ 26-23 win over the Bengals on Sunday. Head coach Kliff Kingsbury said the starting back would be a gametime decision, assuming he does not progress to practice in the next two days.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arizonasports.com/story/2114379/cardinals-christian-kirk-progresses-david-johnson-gametime-decision/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

He's got a 50th percentile BMI, that's well above average. Also put up elite agility numbers and was a big time producer in college. You're selling him short. No idea if he's "elite" or not, but he's a talented young player with a good all around skill set. If forced into a starting role Edmonds will produce. 

You realize how percentiles work right? 50th percentile is literally the definition of average. If forced into a starting role I fully agree he will produce, but it's because he's both the 3rd down and GL back, the offense is reasonably capable, and Atlanta is a dumpster fire. 

3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I feel like this is very similar to the discussion about David Johnson in 2015 when Chris Johnson was starting to wear down.

DJ had all the measurables. DJ was better than CJ. Neither of those things can be said here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGDDYKWL said:

You realize how percentiles work right? 50th percentile is literally the definition of average. If forced into a starting role I fully agree he will produce, but it's because he's both the 3rd down and GL back, the offense is reasonably capable, and Atlanta is a dumpster fire. 

DJ had all the measurables. DJ was better than CJ. Neither of those things can be said here. 

Kidding me?

At the time Chris Johnson was still thought of as a slightly older version of the fastest back on the planet.

DJ was just a kid no one knew anything about unless you were from Iowa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Kidding me?

At the time Chris Johnson was still thought of as a slightly older version of the fastest back on the planet.

DJ was just a kid no one knew anything about unless you were from Iowa.

Not really. 

At the time CJ was an aging veteran and Johnson was known by most to be a future stud. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...