Sign in to follow this  
jeffcarroll23

Jaylin Davis 2019 Outlook

Got called up. Played in a game last night. Still not in the Yahoo system or ESPN....

What do y'all think about him for the ROS?

Edited by jeffcarroll23

1 hour ago, jeffcarroll23 said:

Got called up. Played in a game last night. Still not in the Yahoo system or ESPN....

You want to actually tell us who he plays for and what his position is and what his minor league profile is as in post some information when you start a thread please.

From what I could find out he is an outfielder for SF.  Also he is in the Yahoo system but like all players not in the database at the start of the season he has to pass through waivers like everyone else.  Waiver date in default leagues is Saturday, Sept 7th. 

Off topic side note:  I don't know how many call-ups this makes for SF but I'll be glad when the new rules kick in next year and only 3 players can be called up in September instead of the infinite numbers now.  Red Sox bullpen sucks so bad that they brought everyone up and now have a bullpen of 19 inept arms instead of the usual 7 or 8.  Five hour games in September due to pitching changes after every batter are so much fun ... not.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 hours ago, jeffcarroll23 said:

maybe a decent flier type guy, but i'm concerned he's a juiced ball product. ISOs around .350 in AAA this season, but never showed that kind of power before. hitting in SF will do him no favors if the power isn't real. no idea what his playing time will look like, either. not much [good] competition in SF for an OF spot, but who knows... they're all pretty meh.

i'm going to say outside of NL-only leagues or 16+ team mixed, he's not going to provide much value. maybe a little more in OBP/points leagues assuming his decent BB% (roughly 10% across three teams/levels in the minors this season) holds up in the majors?

fangraphs write-up from May 2018:

image.png.3c25eb1505b79669ab187b8a1c807f48.png

Davis was a 24th-round pick out of Appalachian State in 2015. He was available at that point not because he lacked tools, but because he missed most of his draft year with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder. He’s played just over 200 games in pro ball in close to three full seasons, so health is still an issue, and Davis will soon turn 24 while still in A-ball. That said, he has loud enough tools that you still need to pay attention: a right-field defensive profile with plus raw power and enough bat to possibly profile as a useful big leaguer. Davis is probably a below-average contact hitter, but he may have enough pitch selection to get to most or all of his raw power, which would at least make him a solid rotation/platoon player.

• Like 1