Sign in to follow this  
Cdub2k

John Ross III 2019 Outlook

On 9/9/2019 at 4:11 AM, frog34 said:

Welcome to the big boom-or-bust WR3 lottery! Good luck on picking the weekly winners!

I like what I saw from Ross. Good target share, legit speed and clearly the fastest player on the field. Won't repeat every week obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has another 2 or 3 of such boom games. Having Dalton's trust is a big plus, especially with AJG out. He is so fast that he can win you the week with just one touch. Tbh I'd pick him over Hollywood Brown right now.

Depends if you need someone right now, or long term. Brown played like a dozen snaps this weekend. That's it. He's unlikely to be heavily involved early in the year. Ross, on the other hand, is an every down player at least until AJ comes back. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:39 AM, rex_bulkhead said:

That is a bold take!

Bold? I'd take McLaurin over Hollywood AND Ross. Ravens will be a run first team sooner or later and in tougher games Brown might get lost. IMO the Ravens will run through Ingram and Andrews over the middle. Ross drops too many balls to be dependent. As someone else already mentioned, Dalton won't be throwing 50 times a game and Boyd is better suited to handle the #1 duties. Ross is the guy everyone will drool over about all the targets and deep bombs only to get burned in week 2. 

I'll take McLaurin who played 62 of 65 snaps, is clearly the #1 on a team who will likely be playing catch up all year long with an average QB. Oh, and he doesn't drop balls and has wheels faster than Ross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A27K said:

Bold? I'd take McLaurin over Hollywood AND Ross. Ravens will be a run first team sooner or later and in tougher games Brown might get lost. IMO the Ravens will run through Ingram and Andrews over the middle. Ross drops too many balls to be dependent. As someone else already mentioned, Dalton won't be throwing 50 times a game and Boyd is better suited to handle the #1 duties. Ross is the guy everyone will drool over about all the targets and deep bombs only to get burned in week 2. 

I'll take McLaurin who played 62 of 65 snaps, is clearly the #1 on a team who will likely be playing catch up all year long with an average QB. Oh, and he doesn't drop balls and has wheels faster than Ross.

Yeah, he runs faster than 4.22. LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Let everyone go to Hollywood Brown + Mclaurin + Hardman. This guy is the real prize. 

14 targets (with penalties) 82% snap share. 

Hands of clod, and he takes a hit if AJ comes back healthy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Hands of stone and hamstrings of cotton candy

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Meh. 3rd year WR might make a jump. Also, AJG and Boyd might get injured who knows.

I'm putting in 15% on Ross

• Haha 1

I remember when this same conversation was being said about Boyd last year people bought in late and missed out on a free wr2. The departure of Marvin Lewis makes this offense much more difficult to project out then people think. 50 pass attempts is clearly on the high side but if you look at the Bengals roster their strength offensively is their WR core and I don't think it's crazy to think that Dalton's gonna sling it plenty this season. Think now is the time to buy Ross would love him in my flex gives you that week winning upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fools gold. The only way this guy has consistent value is if he's healthy and the only option on the team to throw too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Meh. 3rd year WR might make a jump. Also, AJG and Boyd might get injured who knows.

I'm putting in 15% on Ross

The stone hands references aren't just of last year though... go watch every play from game 1.  I think that will be enough to change your mind.  

edit can't find video of the drops =/

Edited by Mathew Berry

I watched Ross dominate every Saturday for a couple years here in Seattle.  I haven’t followed him much since being drafted so i’m Guessing he’s had some drops in Cinci?  Guy caught everything in college so definitely not sold on “stone hands”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OmegaRed88 said:

I watched Ross dominate every Saturday for a couple years here in Seattle.  I haven’t followed him much since being drafted so i’m Guessing he’s had some drops in Cinci?  Guy caught everything in college so definitely not sold on “stone hands”

Just look at his stats. 38% career catch rate. Not much of a sample size though.

1 hour ago, OmegaRed88 said:

I've always gotten the feeling that it's more mental with Ross than anything - always in his own head, making the small mistakes. It seems like I read a story in the offseason about Taylor and Green and Boyd really trying to get him motivated and to believe in himself. 

He's not in danger of losing his spot or targets. Zac Taylor is doing his best facsimile of McVay's Rams. They're running 3 WRs out on ~80% of the snaps, with Damion Willis in for the injured AJ. Those are facts.

EEFG4UqWkAAZSgR?format=png&name=medium

Now this is assumption.

With a healthy lineup, you would assume the roles would be split:
AJ Green - In the Robert Woods role, lined up outside and running the intermediate skill routes
Tyler Boyd - In the Cooper Kupp role, working out of the slot and mostly manning the middle of the field
John Ross - In the Brandin Cooks role, running the intermediate to deep and speed routes

Damion Willis has slipped into the AJ/Woods role, but I would guess Boyd will slip out there for at least some of those routes. Either way, Ross isn't going anywhere, and the team is going to have to throw to keep up with other teams - they don't have the defense to rely on like the Rams. 

So the reality of it is, if you believe Ross has the talent and has overcome his early year jitters and is starting the catch on, he's in the perfect position for a breakout. If however you still think he has 'stone hands' or the yips and just isn't cut out for it, then it won't matter what targets they feed him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

I've always gotten the feeling that it's more mental with Ross than anything - always in his own head, making the small mistakes. It seems like I read a story in the offseason about Taylor and Green and Boyd really trying to get him motivated and to believe in himself. 

He's not in danger of losing his spot or targets. Zac Taylor is doing his best facsimile of McVay's Rams. They're running 3 WRs out on ~80% of the snaps, with Damion Willis in for the injured AJ. Those are facts.

Now this is assumption.

AJ Green - In the Robert Woods role, lined up outside and running the intermediate skill routes
Tyler Boyd - In the Cooper Kupp role, working out of the slot and mostly manning the middle of the field
John Ross - In the Brandin Cooks role, running the intermediate to deep and speed routes

Damion Willis has slipped into the AJ/Woods role, but I would guess Boyd will slip out there for at least some of those routes. Either way, Ross isn't going anywhere, and the team is going to have to throw to keep up with other teams - they don't have the defense to rely on like the Rams. 

So the reality of it is, if you believe Ross has the talent and has overcome his early year jitters and is starting the catch on, he's in the perfect position for a breakout. If however you still think he has 'stone hands' or the yips and just isn't cut out for it, then it won't matter what targets they feed him.

Exactly what I came here to post, this is the Rams East offense. His spot is not in any danger when AJG returns. Target share may take a hit, but there is enough here to suggest that all 3 WR can be supported, esp given no big TE threat.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DekuTree said:

Now this is assumption.

Couldn’t agree more. I think too many ppl are brushing his performance off. He’s in the perfect position to breakout and falling right in line with the prototypical 3rd year.

11 hours ago, OmegaRed88 said:

The guy drops balls that an NFL WR should be able to catch, plain and simple. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ponied up for him in my keeper league.  2017 9th overall draft pick.  Ridiculously fast.  Hoping last week was just the beginning of a big time breakout.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

The guy drops balls that an NFL WR should be able to catch, plain and simple. 

That's actually super interesting to watch.  He's definitely not a natural catcher.

• Haha 2

He's worth an add... but when aj comes back what happens? Starts over him?

I snagged him off waivers, along for the ride with you guys. Most interesting thing about his situation is the offensive system Cincinnati seems to be deploying. If he can get his catching issues fixed he could be a monster. Dalton threw it 50 times in a close game, what's gonna happen when the Bengals are down two scores in the 2nd quarter?

3 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Had an open spot with Hill on IR. Picked this guy up because nobody even bid on him. He’s good enough as a free agent acquisition, I assume. Since he can’t catch I’m sure when AJ returns he will be pretty useless. They could shift him to cornerback though, as that really doesn’t require high quality receiving skills. Honestly, he makes Desmond Howard look like Jerry Rice.

He's a great add in 12+ team leagues. So So hands but great speed and separation. His hands can improve, speed and quickness is something you're born with. Solid snap count/ routes run per dropback. Will be interesting to watch next week. 

Edited by TomBradyDaGOAT

51 minutes ago, ThePerfectBeard said:

That's actually super interesting to watch.  He's definitely not a natural catcher.

That’s a bit of an understatement...

49 minutes ago, hard1 said:

AJ Green and Tyler Boyd will both play ahead of him and get a higher target share... Brandin Cooks he is not.

25 minutes ago, smeeze said:

That’s a bit of an understatement...

AJ Green and Tyler Boyd will both play ahead of him and get a higher target share... Brandin Cooks he is not.

Can AJG stay healthy at 31 years old? I have serious concerns.. he's still in the walking boot- hints that he may take a little longer than expected (weeks 3-4) to come back. AJG has always had feet problems..