Sign in to follow this  
Random Dude

FAAB Discussion in Football Talk Forum

Still very disappointing that we can't talk FAAB in this thread... It's a thread about picking people up that's allowed outside of the bench coach forum but for some reason we can't talk about FAAB in here. Kills FAAB discussion on Roto Forums by keeping it off the main forum. 

My two cents....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Still very disappointing that we can't talk FAAB in this thread... It's a thread about picking people up that's allowed outside of the bench coach forum but for some reason we can't talk about FAAB in here. Kills FAAB discussion on Roto Forums by keeping it off the main forum. 

My two cents....

I agree.  I posted something and it was removed quite quickly.  FAAB is the new standard.  It’s very helpful if we could discuss %’s for FAAB to gauge market value for these players.  

• Like 4

Even if youre not playing FAAB I think it still helps as just a relative way to gauge players value and help decide if a player is worth a #1,2,3 waiver or whatever

• Like 6

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Even if youre not playing FAAB I think it still helps as just a relative way to gauge players value and help decide if a player is worth a #1,2,3 waiver or whatever

There's a chance these posts get deleted but I urge the mods to consider it. I think the community would view it as a net positive for the weekly thread. At the very least, a specific FAAB thread on the main forum would be great for discussion. We all know the bench coach forum doesn't generate as much conversation as the main forum. Thanks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've taken the liberty of moving it to the Fantasy Feedback forum so that it doesn't derail the week 1 waiver discussion.

We discussed the possibility of moving FAAB to Football Talk last season, but decided that the way FAAB works is far too league/format-specific to make for a manageable discussion in Football Talk.  @CooL's response in the waiver thread did an admirable job of explaining why FAAB in Football Talk is problematic:

55 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

There's a chance these posts get deleted but I urge the mods to consider it. I think the community would view it as a net positive for the weekly thread. At the very least, a specific FAAB thread on the main forum would be great for discussion. We all know the bench coach forum doesn't generate as much conversation as the main forum. Thanks. 

The problem with FAAB discussion in a thread like this is that everybody's league is different.  Are you in an 8 team league?  14 team league?  How deep is your bench?  What format?  How many starters?  If there is position scarcity, you may want to go big on your FAAB for the RB of the week, while someone else may think they don't need to do so.

Waivers are simple -- either you claim or you don't.  Yes, waiver priority is a thing, but we already remove / redirect any questions involving specific waiver priority decisions because they're highly team context dependent.  And yes, ranking your claims is a thing, but we already permit discussion of how to prioritize claims.

FAAB, meanwhile, has even more strategy and nuance involved.  It's better in a lot of ways, but simplicity isn't one of them.  In addition to the factors quoted above, FAAB dollars limited (while waiver transactions generally aren't), which means what you bid early in the season might not make sense to bid later when you're running out of your allotment.

This is all way too many variables to discuss in a meaningful way without bringing snowflake-y league details into the mix, and suddenly it's one big Assistant Coach thread where people just want to have their questions answered by a larger audience.  And we just don't have the resources to manage that.

1 hour ago, dlionsfan901 said:

FAAB is the new standard.

It might be your preferred format, or the format that's dominant among leagues you play in, but it's definitely not "the new standard", as both ESPN and Yahoo both use waivers as the default player acquisition system. 

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

We all know the bench coach forum doesn't generate as much conversation as the main forum. Thanks. 

That may be the case, but the standard we use isn't what will generate the most conversation, but what will be applicable to the wider audience of players.  That's not to say we can't have our minds changed on this in the future, but I want to make clear that the decision to put FAAB in AC was not made without careful consideration, and that we were pretty unanimous in our agreement on AC being the right place.

With that said, I've opened a discussion with the rest of the team where we can discuss this, and will report back here if we change our minds.

6 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've taken the liberty of moving it to the Fantasy Feedback forum so that it doesn't derail the week 1 waiver discussion.

We discussed the possibility of moving FAAB to Football Talk last season, but decided that the way FAAB works is far too league/format-specific to make for a manageable discussion in Football Talk.  @CooL's response in the waiver thread did an admirable job of explaining why FAAB in Football Talk is problematic:

Waivers are simple -- either you claim or you don't.  Yes, waiver priority is a thing, but we already remove / redirect any questions involving specific waiver priority decisions because they're highly team context dependent.  And yes, ranking your claims is a thing, but we already permit discussion of how to prioritize claims.

FAAB, meanwhile, has even more strategy and nuance involved.  It's better in a lot of ways, but simplicity isn't one of them.  In addition to the factors quoted above, FAAB dollars limited (while waiver transactions generally aren't), which means what you bid early in the season might not make sense to bid later when you're running out of your allotment.

This is all way too many variables to discuss in a meaningful way without bringing snowflake-y league details into the mix, and suddenly it's one big Assistant Coach thread where people just want to have their questions answered by a larger audience.  And we just don't have the resources to manage that.

It might be your preferred format, or the format that's dominant among leagues you play in, but it's definitely not "the new standard", as both ESPN and Yahoo both use waivers as the default player acquisition system. 

That may be the case, but the standard we use isn't what will generate the most conversation, but what will be applicable to the wider audience of players.  That's not to say we can't have our minds changed on this in the future, but I want to make clear that the decision to put FAAB in AC was not made without careful consideration, and that we were pretty unanimous in our agreement on AC being the right place.

With that said, I've opened a discussion with the rest of the team where we can discuss this, and will report back here if we change our minds.

Appreciate the response. I think that AC is likely the right spot for the Weekly Waiver thread since it's a choice of whether or not to add someone. It may be a lot simpler than FAAB but the decision to add or drop still depends on league sizes, settings, etc. I don't recall the FAAB thread in the AC forum being super snow flakey but that may also be the result of not as much traffic so that may still be a valid concern.

Any willingness by the Mods to try it out as a pin on the main forum for a trial period? I'll acknowledge that it might be a big failure... After all, your response to my inquiry resulted in exactly what you want to avoid... Lol... However, you can always move it back to AC without any harm done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Oh now I see its in the feedback forum... Sadly I don't think many people will see it here

Sorry for any confusion here.  I split the feedback comments from the waiver wire thread so that we can discuss the pros and cons of moving the FAAB thread to Football Talk.  Wasn't intending to move the actual FAAB discussion here.

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Appreciate the response. I think that AC is likely the right spot for the Weekly Waiver thread since it's a choice of whether or not to add someone. It may be a lot simpler than FAAB but the decision to add or drop still depends on league sizes, settings, etc.

The relative simplicity of the waiver wire thread makes it so that there's not much back-and-forth discussion needed.  It's just there to get the players on your radar if they aren't already.  The job of deciding whether each player belongs on your team, who to drop, whether to use your high waiver priority, etc. belongs to each player, and does not occur in the waiver thread.

FAAB, on the other hand, rolls all of those circumstantial factors into the price that you bid, which means there's going to be a lot more pushback / discussion of how much to bid, which we just can't have in a general purpose forum.  It's the very things that make FAAB superior to waivers in the minds of many that make it nearly impossible to discuss without getting into league / format / situation-specific details.

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Any willingness by the Mods to try it out as a pin on the main forum for a trial period? I'll acknowledge that it might be a big failure... After all, your response to my inquiry resulted in exactly what you want to avoid... Lol... However, you can always move it back to AC without any harm done. 

I've opened a discussion with the rest of the team to see if there's been any change in our stance, and will report back here when we're done discussing it.

Talked it over with the rest of the team and there was strong opposition to moving FAAB out of AC.  The FAAB thread is linked in the notice at the top of every waiver thread, so it shouldn't be hard for folks to find even if they don't visit AC very often.