pushaZ

Phillip Dorsett 2019 Outlook

Dorsett is the single biggest winner in this whole saga.  I suspect the team's great confidence in Dorsett made the decision to cut AB, in the face of some flimsy accusations, a much easier one.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, smeeze said:

“Bounces around from team to team”.... he’s on his second team and that team traded a starting QB for him.

No, that team traded a backup QB for him. He's only starting now because of the unexpected Luck retirement. But don't let facts get in your way lol

He’s “buried” behind two of the most injury prone/unreliable WRs in the game.

Edelman has been in all or nearly all of NE games 4 out of the last 5 years, so that's a slight exaggeration at the very least, but not without merit. Also points others made about no real TE are valid too.

You’re so far off the mark you started referring to Native Americans as “Indians”.

:lol: No idea what that means but it's your little world, enjoy!

He's tempting but I worry about the targets even without Brown. He only seems to average like 4-5 per game and McDaniels seems to have specific plays for him. Maybe the targets ramp up, but I think he'll still be behind Edelman, Gordon, White and possibly Burkhead. 

Edited by LongBalls

I like your list there but I would subtract Gordon, White, and Burkhead to make it more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Dorsett played 84% of snaps in week 1(pre AB)

Gordon played only 70% that week

Edelman is the clear #1 option but Dorsett is definitely #2

With no viable TE Dorsett will get plenty of targets all year

Must own player

To be clear and fair, Gordon had only two weeks of practice with the team prior to the first game.

So, guy was barely fantasy-relevant before this season, barely gets any hype coming to the season without AB, scores 4/95/2 in 1 game without AB, AB gets released, now he's a must-grab? It just feels like every year the Patriots have a WR3/4 that booms and everyone gets hyped and he turns out to be an inconsistent option. I don't see how this is any different. You're banking on Edelman or Gordon being out for him to have any value at all.

No Gronk and AB doesn't necessarily mean things will be different for Dorsett. Indeed in that Steelers game where he did get 4 receptions Gordon only had 3 and Edelman had 6. I'd say they are more likely candidates to have their receptions regress positively with AB's absence, no? You're banking on him doing a lot with his receptions, and so far there just isn't the sample size to show that he can do that.

Brady is also getting old and losing the deep ball - and if he does throw, it's more than likely he would throw to who he sees as reliable. Edelman. White. Burkhead. Gordon. You get the drill. Benjamin Watson is also returning from suspension and could see work in the passing game.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 1

Will Phil Dorsett be DeAndre Hopkins this year?  Probably not, although Dorsett has better numbers so far.  But will Dorsett be quite a useful WR3 for a fantasy team?  I believe he will be, now that AB has been dismissed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Dorsett is the single biggest winner in this whole saga.  I suspect the team's great confidence in Dorsett made the decision to cut AB, in the face of some flimsy accusations, a much easier one.

I don't think this decision involved Dorsett whatsoever. He literally tried to blatantlyintimidate an accuser. Flimsy my a**.

Edited by kball09
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, herschel said:

Flexing him on Sunday would be about as far as I’d go.   

Fixed. It’s all about the phrasing here. 

Edited by martinjlm
  • Haha 1

I can see the add with AB getting cut, I suppose he’s not the worst bye week/injury fill-in. But starting him this weekend expecting a good game seems like the definition of chasing points. 4 targets, 2 TDs in week 1. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CooL said:

This guy just went for 50% FAAB on news that AB was cut. 50%! Am I missing something? Do people expect him to become #1 target over Gordon and Edelman?

I think everyone believes edelmen will still be the guy. 

I think what happens now is that he basically becomes Flash 2. 

I see those 2 (him and Flash) having alternating games throughout the season of who the better #2 WR on the team is. 

Brady won't force to Flash if a safety is playing over the top of him, but Brady is good enough and fast enough in his progressions to identify that and know that Dorsett is probably singled and will throw that way. 

There's still James White to contend with and always the probability of another TE emerging, but as for today I'd bet on Dorsett having comparable stats to flash over next 4 games (assuming both play the next 4).

Brady trusts this guy. Period. 

He's produced in big games as well. Has a role in an offense that will produce (and has a schedule to dream of through mid season). 

And there's upside if Gordon goes awol or Edelman gets dinged.

Oh...and NE has no TE.

You could do worse for a WR4 that could have upside for WR2.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Espoiral said:

So, guy was barely fantasy-relevant before this season, barely gets any hype coming to the season without AB, scores 4/95/2 in 1 game without AB, AB gets released, now he's a must-grab? It just feels like every year the Patriots have a WR3/4 that booms and everyone gets hyped and he turns out to be an inconsistent option. I don't see how this is any different. You're banking on Edelman or Gordon being out for him to have any value at all.

No Gronk and AB doesn't necessarily mean things will be different for Dorsett. Indeed in that Steelers game where he did get 4 receptions Gordon only had 3 and Edelman had 6. I'd say they are more likely candidates to have their receptions regress positively with AB's absence, no? You're banking on him doing a lot with his receptions, and so far there just isn't the sample size to show that he can do that.

Brady is also getting old and losing the deep ball - and if he does throw, it's more than likely he would throw to who he sees as reliable. Edelman. White. Burkhead. Gordon. You get the drill. Benjamin Watson is also returning from suspension and could see work in the passing game.

His lack of hype coming into the year was contributed to the Patriots drafting NKeal Harry and signing Demaryius Thomas... Harry was expected to start and DT was expected to get meaningul time... Then Harry got injured and was placed on IR... Then they traded DT when they signed AB, and now cut AB... The WR outlook in NE has changed dramatically from preseason.

Dorsett, despite his speed, has been more effective underneath than over the top. The Patriots have made it a point to get the ball in his hands quick from the snap and utilize his speed with the ball in his hands. 

As for reliable? He caught 76% of his targets last year and currently has a steak of 23 consecutive targets caught -- for the mathematically challenged that's 100% catch rate on his last 23 targets. I'd say that's reliable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

His lack of hype coming into the year was contributed to the Patriots drafting NKeal Harry and signing Demaryius Thomas... Harry was expected to start and DT was expected to get meaningul time... Then Harry got injured and was placed on IR... Then they traded DT when they signed AB, and now cut AB... The WR outlook in NE has changed dramatically from preseason.

Dorsett, despite his speed, has been more effective underneath than over the top. The Patriots have made it a point to get the ball in his hands quick from the snap and utilize his speed with the ball in his hands. 

As for reliable? He caught 76% of his targets last year and currently has a steak of 23 consecutive targets caught -- for the mathematically challenged that's 100% catch rate on his last 23 targets. I'd say that's reliable.

jq2w2.jpg.cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’s a limited player who does a handful of things very well. Dorsett is a perfect fit for the Pats offense, in which reclamation players like Cordarrelle Patterson, Legarrette Blount and Dion Lewis can play a useful role before someone else overpays.

The Colts originally drafted Dorsett to replace TY, but he just never developed that way. He’s got a small bag of tricks that sometimes result in fantasy points. There are worse flex dart throws given this offense and it’s cake schedule, but there’s no long-term upside. Even if Gordon gets suspended again and Edelman gets injured, I think Dorsett would get only a small uptick in usage and some of the lesser known WRs / practice squad callups / trade acquisitions would step up.

Edited by eg4190

33 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Even if Gordon gets suspended again and Edelman gets injured, I think Dorsett would get only a small uptick in usage 

I agreed with you until this ^ I mean, come on now, if he becomes the defacto WR2 on the Pats without Gronk around, his value definitely spikes.

I picked him up purely to see usage tomorrow and then may drop before the 4PM games, but if he's getting 6-8 targets in this offense at his catch rate, he's going to be plenty valuable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmoney0111 said:

Scooped him up and playing him over McLaurin. Crossing my fingers.

I have same decision i'm going other way

From CBS.  The last line seems like a very Hoodie thing to do....

Dorsett should be back on your Fantasy radar now that Antonio Brown is gone in New England. In Week 1, before Brown was eligible to play for the Patriots, Dorsett had four catches for 95 yards and two touchdowns on four targets against the Steelers. He's the third receiver behind Julian Edelman and Josh Gordon, who clearly get a boost with Brown out of the way, but Dorsett is also worth a flier in deeper leagues against the Jets in Week 3. I wouldn't be a surprise if Tom Brady leans on Dorsett this week to prove the Patriots are just fine without Brown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, herschel said:

From CBS.  The last line seems like a very Hoodie thing to do....

Dorsett should be back on your Fantasy radar now that Antonio Brown is gone in New England. In Week 1, before Brown was eligible to play for the Patriots, Dorsett had four catches for 95 yards and two touchdowns on four targets against the Steelers. He's the third receiver behind Julian Edelman and Josh Gordon, who clearly get a boost with Brown out of the way, but Dorsett is also worth a flier in deeper leagues against the Jets in Week 3. I wouldn't be a surprise if Tom Brady leans on Dorsett this week to prove the Patriots are just fine without Brown.

Hahahaha didn’t think of that, I could see it.

• Like 2

White is OUT. At least their BEST pass catcher out of the backfield isn't playing so that's another good sign. Yes, I know Burkhead will play more now.

• Like 2