Sign in to follow this  
colepenhagen

Russell Westbrook 2019-2020 Outlook

ssdd? westbrook going to get his? tough to gauge but that triple punt is appealing especially with the prices the way they are. just don't know if the usage will be there.

Surely, we're not going back to the times of Harden being a sidekick to WestBrick and/or Durant.
On the other hand - D'Antoni's style can do wonders...
On the other hand - ... if you know how to hit a three.

I know Westbrook's profile is good for h2h but I see too many red flags to even consider him in first 2 rounds...

I never had been against strategy to improve my counting stats in expense of efficiency, but this year to draft Westbrook is much questionable, His counting stats will not be as good as they were some previous seasons. In efficiency only TO improves probably, but not FT and FG%. But at the end of 2nd round I probably can pick him.

Everyone's acting like this guy will just continue along at peak prime fitness, he's 31 years old athletism like his drops off a cliff fast. His play style is a ticking time-bomb for those knees, i'm more concerned about his body holding up than him playing along the greatest shooter we've seen since MJ. 

• Like 2

I won't touch him this year in roto with a billion foot pole. He will be over-drafted by some sucker, the same guys who overdrafted Shaq, D12, and other roto team-killers. 22-8-8 looks good until Russ sticks it to you with 4 TOs and poor shooting efficiency... and that was now Harden will be black-holing everything.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:20 AM, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Everyone's acting like this guy will just continue along at peak prime fitness, he's 31 years old athletism like his drops off a cliff fast. His play style is a ticking time-bomb for those knees, i'm more concerned about his body holding up than him playing along the greatest shooter we've seen since MJ. 

I agree with the first part (especially in dynasty), but I think you meant to say scorer instead of shooter when comping MJ. 

Westbrook hustles to get stats so I don't think the decline will be off of a cliff, but once it starts there is no going back. His Thunder team was content boxing out and letting Russ chase down boards. The Rockets are not that type of rebounding team. All of their guys are capable of running after a board except Capela. Russ will need to hustle to get his boards still to initiate the break before giving it to Harden. His boards and assists are going to take a hit. Overall, I just don't think Russ ever really developed skill to offset the impending loss of athleticism. I am not saying he isn't good or great, but he just never evolved. Similar to Dwight who is now just a large human being that doesn't have great skill and no longer holds an absurd physical competitive advantage. I think one of Russ' biggest weapons on offense is/was his elbow jumper that was his bread and butter a few years ago. He has deviated away from that recently and Houston will not view that as a great shot. 

I am worried about this fit in Houston. I find it pretty funny how a dude gets traded, which has to be humiliating/humbling, and then they say they are ready to fit in and share the ball and blah blah blah. Like you weren't ready when you were the man on your own team that failed constantly in the early playoffs? But now you are cool not being the alpha because you realize you just aren't good enough....that scenario rarely ends well for Batmans shifting to Robins.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I agree with the first part (especially in dynasty), but I think you meant to say scorer instead of shooter when comping MJ. 

Westbrook hustles to get stats so I don't think the decline will be off of a cliff, but once it starts there is no going back. His Thunder team was content boxing out and letting Russ chase down boards. The Rockets are not that type of rebounding team. All of their guys are capable of running after a board except Capela. Russ will need to hustle to get his boards still to initiate the break before giving it to Harden. His boards and assists are going to take a hit. Overall, I just don't think Russ ever really developed skill to offset the impending loss of athleticism. I am not saying he isn't good or great, but he just never evolved. Similar to Dwight who is now just a large human being that doesn't have great skill and no longer holds an absurd physical competitive advantage. I think one of Russ' biggest weapons on offense is/was his elbow jumper that was his bread and butter a few years ago. He has deviated away from that recently and Houston will not view that as a great shot. 

I am worried about this fit in Houston. I find it pretty funny how a dude gets traded, which has to be humiliating/humbling, and then they say they are ready to fit in and share the ball and blah blah blah. Like you weren't ready when you were the man on your own team that failed constantly in the early playoffs? But now you are cool not being the alpha because you realize you just aren't good enough....that scenario rarely ends well for Batmans shifting to Robins.  

Great post. Like many others here, I am staying away from Westbrook as well. He will start to lose his athleticism soon I would imagine, and like Zing said, he never really developed any skills to offset that. His numbers will go down this season on a new team with Harden as well. Just not my cup of tea. Not fantasy related, but I don't like the pairing of Harden/Westbrook at all in real life. It could be fun to watch during the regular season but it will be very tough for Houston to win in the playoffs with these two trying to coexist. Two ball stopping, iso-heavy players playing hero ball. Yuck. At least Harden makes his shots, Westbrook taking 3s is awful. Bails the defense out every time when he settles for a shot instead of driving to the rim and creating from there.

• Like 1

I will continue to stay away from this percentage killer.  I don't care about the move to Houston.  Nothing in this guy screams that he will ever learn not to jack shots over and over that he cannot make with any reliability in his quest to chase stats and adulation over winning. 

20 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I will continue to stay away from this percentage killer.  I don't care about the move to Houston.  Nothing in this guy screams that he will ever learn not to jack shots over and over that he cannot make with any reliability in his quest to chase stats and adulation over winning. 

Just punt FG% and enjoy the TD's :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

And FT.  And TO.

and 3's haha

20 minutes ago, crocp said:

and 3's haha

If you're playing 8 cat H2H and you've decided not to focus on %'s then he can be a borderline first round player.   Then you still have to fade his age and new situation potentially putting a ceiling on his value.  And that's the absolute best league settings for him.

Westbrook's lack of talent and low basketball IQ always means he takes bad shots and makes bad passes

Unless you plan on punting fg, ft, TO, and threes, he's not worth it

He's not getting triple doubles, Houston coaching staff will laugh in his face. It's a stupid meaningless popcorn stat OKC let it go on for too long it never should of been happening with a superstar like PG13 around. It's a horrible distraction, and can derail an entire season. Harden is still adding offensive weapons to his arsenal, hello one footed step back 3. Harden will put this guy in his box real quick if he even attempts to make it about him and his ridiculous triple doubles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are going to stagger Westbrook so he will have his share of triple doubles. He wont be stat chasing, not on hardens team, but I'd give him at least 10 over the season. I'll happily snag him in the 2nd and not punt ft% or 3s (depending on 1st rd pick). He gets you rbs of a center. If I can grab lillard/harden in the first and Westbrook in the 2nd, I'll be a very, very happy man. Especially if I can snag Turner or brook Lopez in 4th 5th as another means to offset it. My Harden/Westbrook team last year wrecked everyone in site. If you know how to use Westbrook properly, hes a machine. Not to forget 2+ steals. If you think taking Westbrook or doncic means a triple punt, you still don't understand how pairings and that is very unfortunate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Starvela said:

Where would you rank RW is a 9-Cat HTH with DD instead of TO's..?

late first round. 

2 hours ago, Starvela said:

Where would you rank RW is a 9-Cat HTH with DD instead of TO's..?

You can adjust for those settings in fantasy basketball ninja.  But he’s mid first under those settings.  

• Like 1

The weirdest thing is that many people here said: Westbrook is DND. And if 12 such kind of fantasy managers play in the same league then Westbrook remains undrafted? Of course not, because somebody has to pick him. There can't be any DND in TOP100, these players will be picked anyway, earlier or later. Of course, if you do your prerank and place some players 1-2 rounds lower than their usual draft position, then these players are basically DND for you, because somebody pick them earlier. But if everbody has the same rank then inevitably all lower ranked players will be drafted, but just later. Believe me, Westbrook is also useful for any team.

I just hope he doesn't get nom. early in my auctions if I can get him cheaper than fox then im in. or am I?

16 hours ago, apatas said:

The weirdest thing is that many people here said: Westbrook is DND. And if 12 such kind of fantasy managers play in the same league then Westbrook remains undrafted? Of course not, because somebody has to pick him. There can't be any DND in TOP100, these players will be picked anyway, earlier or later. Of course, if you do your prerank and place some players 1-2 rounds lower than their usual draft position, then these players are basically DND for you, because somebody pick them earlier. But if everbody has the same rank then inevitably all lower ranked players will be drafted, but just later. Believe me, Westbrook is also useful for any team.

I am going to guess that when people say DND they mean they have him ranked so low that he won't be around when they would be ready to draft him. Everyone has a value. The DND is just an easy way to say you are low on a guy. 

• Like 8

On 9/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, thezing1 said:

I am going to guess that when people say DND they mean they have him ranked so low that he won't be around when they would be ready to draft him. Everyone has a value. The DND is just an easy way to say you are low on a guy. 

Pretty much this. I had him on my DND list but he was there to take at pick 29. That was low enough for me to take him.

8 hours ago, RafiBomb said:

Pretty much this. I had him on my DND list but he was there to take at pick 29. That was low enough for me to take him.

For me this confession only proves that DND list is fictional. Therefore I don't use DND list. Or I use - for example Durant this season...

Edited by apatas

4 hours ago, apatas said:

For me this confession only proves that DND list is fictional. Therefore I don't use DND list. Or I use - for example Durant this season...

there's no such thing as a DND list.  Sometimes, players that you have no intention of drafting will fall really low in drafts and make them more tempting to pick up. 

I play auction and have zero intention of drafting Chris Paul but if he fell in my lap at $19, I'd scoop him up