ASHLANDARROWS1992

Kyle Lewis 2019 Outlook

Another kid who shows up and blows up. It's comical how initial looks in the bigs not only go nice, but insane (see Riley, Bo, Aquino, Murphy, Barnes) for newly called prospects. Not saying these are not good talents, but some of the numbers put up over the first few weeks to month or so are softball level stuff. Aquino, after being on a pace for 80 home runs has regressed, Riley has actually been terrible since his initial entry, Bo is now settling into a more normal pattern (Id put him above just about any of these guys). Kyle Lewis was not at all good in the minors, yes he's a former top prospect, but he struggles on the farm, comes up and rakes? Catch it while you can. Pitchers are not immune, Alex Young, who basically was a nothing prospect with bad numbers in AAA has morphed into Sandy Koufax since getting called to Arizona. I am at the point of really putting no stock into "first looks". But for us fantasy leaguers catching lightning in a bottle counts the same.

• Like 3

I added in all of my leagues. His next 3 series are against the White Sox sans Giolito, Pirates, and Orioles, all in the bottom 8 in team ERA. 

50 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Another kid who shows up and blows up. It's comical how initial looks in the bigs not only go nice, but insane (see Riley, Bo, Aquino, Murphy, Barnes) for newly called prospects. Not saying these are not good talents, but some of the numbers put up over the first few weeks to month or so are softball level stuff. Aquino, after being on a pace for 80 home runs has regressed, Riley has actually been terrible since his initial entry, Bo is now settling into a more normal pattern (Id put him above just about any of these guys). Kyle Lewis was not at all good in the minors, yes he's a former top prospect, but he struggles on the farm, comes up and rakes? Catch it while you can. Pitchers are not immune, Alex Young, who basically was a nothing prospect with bad numbers in AAA has morphed into Sandy Koufax since getting called to Arizona. I am at the point of really putting no stock into "first looks". But for us fantasy leaguers catching lightning in a bottle counts the same.

bUt He'S oN PaCe tO HiT 162 hOmEruNs and hiT .455!!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Lewis and Alex Young both were strong prospects.  Yeah they weren't top 10 or anything but Kyle Lewis was the 11th overall pick and Alex Young was a 2nd rounder both were college players so you think they are older than they should be when in fact they are not.  Everyone gets so caught up in Vlad and Soto's path to the majors that they try to compare everyone to that and that simply isn't fair.  To be drafted you're already the 1% of the 1% guys like Vlad, Soto, and Tatis Jr are the 1% of those drafted.  Also a lot of Alex Young is he was working on so many adjustments in AAA so while the results there weren't great the investment has clearly paid off. 

Another kid who was called up recently and who has been hot, so just do like with any other similar kids! Add him because it cannot hurt to grab him if you're in PO in your league.

13 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

He came through clutch for me today. Will the M's let him do any running?

He's only got 10 steals in his entire minor league career, so I'm gonna go with no.

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

He's only got 10 steals in his entire minor league career, so I'm gonna go with no.

I wonder if that's due more to his injury history than his ability (or inability) to run. I know he was heralded once for his power-speed combo.

Unreal. Another big day.  Can't risk starting him in the final period though.

Really? I'm about to use one of my 3 pickups on this guy for the championship week! Am I crazy? 

37 minutes ago, BennyLJ said:

Really? I'm about to use one of my 3 pickups on this guy for the championship week! Am I crazy? 

Not crazy. How many prospects have been called up this season and have been red hot at batting for few weeks? A lot if not the majority of them. Kyle Lewis seems to be one of them, so I think it's a good add.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:30 PM, FouLLine said:

Lewis and Alex Young both were strong prospects.  Yeah they weren't top 10 or anything but Kyle Lewis was the 11th overall pick and Alex Young was a 2nd rounder both were college players so you think they are older than they should be when in fact they are not.  Everyone gets so caught up in Vlad and Soto's path to the majors that they try to compare everyone to that and that simply isn't fair.  To be drafted you're already the 1% of the 1% guys like Vlad, Soto, and Tatis Jr are the 1% of those drafted.  Also a lot of Alex Young is he was working on so many adjustments in AAA so while the results there weren't great the investment has clearly paid off. 

Alex young was NEVER a top prospect. Period. He was a solid prospect, maybe top 20 in the D-Backs org. And his numbers in the minors this year were abysmal. Then he gets called up and is Koufax? 

In my view, Young is a perfect SELL HIGH candidate. Just like hitters where pitchers will adjust to you, hitters will adjust to pitchers. Young was giving up a .300 BA clip, 99 hits in 80 innings, poor K rates, it makes ZERO sense. 

Lewis WAS a top prospect, but was terrible in the minors (AA no less), gets called up and is now Willie Mays? More BS early returns. It's nothing but flash in the pan stuff. Aquino hasn't hit a homer in two weeks, his average is on a deadspin drive to the dirt. These guys coming up and hitting .400 with 10 homers over 2 weeks are the biggest pile of fools gold in history. Eventually, they get found out. Young is ordinary. 

No hype for next year then as a former top prospect? I know the former part was some time ago though...

3 hours ago, swfcdan said:

No hype for next year then as a former top prospect? I know the former part was some time ago though...

...no hype? huh?