wendellrott

2019 IDP Discussion

For those in leagues with IDP and generous return yardage rules, be sure to get in on Desmond King or Jabrill Peppers.  The added return stats can really boost those guys above other DBs if its 1 point per 10 return yards or thereabouts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The reason isn't really technical, it's practical.  A dedicated forum requires a certain critical mass of users reading and posting regularly to keep it from becoming a ghost town, which makes the bar to clear for people remembering to check it for new posts is very high.  A vast majority of leagues don't use IDP, which makes it a very niche topic that doesn't come close to clearing that high bar.  There's really not enough to say about individual players to sustain active player outlook threads, and we're certainly not interested in it becoming a second AC forum.

With all of that said, I understand why some might not like the conflation of IDP outlook/rankings/discussion and IDP AC questions in the AC thread, so there's a possibility we could try to do this thread as a pinned season-long IDP talk thread.  For that to work, this thread would basically need to contain no AC discussion whatsoever, and stay focused on general topics of interest to IDP players that don't depend on team/roster context.  We'll keep an eye on this thread, and if the advantages outweigh the drawbacks, we can pin it here.  Would that be an okay compromise?

I’m sorry that’s the site’s position.  But if one thread is going to contain so many different topics, there’s a strong chance I won’t participate and I love IDP topics.  I think there’s more of us than you might think, and guys like me who play in full start 11 IDP leagues are not only avid conversationalists and can bring a wide range and large number of topics to the table, but are also advocates for IDP and are usually great helpers for those open to trying IDP.

It’s been my experience that adding IDP to the offensive side of the ball compounds the enjoyment of FF by a much larger multiplier than the simple addition of a greater number of players to track.  It’s not for everyone - casual players probably won’t like the additional effort and time involved.  But for avid FFers who don’t play IDP, you guys are robbing yourselves of a great experience that is hugely fun.

In any case, if you think IDP is just a small niche, you’re certainly doing your best to help reinforce that with a failure to open its own forum.  Seriously, what’s the risk?  You don’t see sufficient contributions over a year or so and eliminate it?  Holding discussion of such a wide variety of topics to just one thread is a sure way to hold down the interest in participation.  Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

For those in leagues with IDP and generous return yardage rules, be sure to get in on Desmond King or Jabrill Peppers.  The added return stats can really boost those guys above other DBs if its 1 point per 10 return yards or thereabouts.

keep your good eye on Adoree Jackson gets KR/PR's...every now and the gets a few offense snaps

I think having a dedicated IDP thread/topic to discuss in the main fantasy forum will generate much more traffic and interest than having it in the AC forum. AC forum is somewhere no one really likes to go unless they have to because you post a question and most of the time it doesn't get answered or the advice is poor. And then there are so many questions asked it gets washed out of the 1st page quickly. Not many people pay attention to the IDP thread there as evidenced by the lack of traffic.

This thread already has nearly as much traffic in 1 day because it resides in the main forum. I don't think a separate IDP forum is needed, but having the dedicated thread in the main forum is the way to go.

AC questions will inevitably creep in as they creep in to any offensive player's thread. I trust the mods to assist with that.

• Like 1

Do people really think Watt is going to struggle to generate stats because Clowney is gone and he is getting more double teams? What was Watt doing before Clowney arrived? He had two 20+ sack seasons and was defensive MVP 2 or 3 times. He has also really only played 1 full season with Clowney due to Clowney's health issues early in Clowney's career and also his own health issues the past few years.

If health and age isn't the issue I don't see why Watt wouldn't produce big time. And Mercilus is no slouch. But maybe the injuries and his health have caught up with him and he is slowing down.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

But maybe the injuries and his health have caught up with him and he is slowing down.

Drafted JJ but am really concerned about the way he was manhandled in NO

picked up Hubbard as insurance but going to drop one or the other this week

Darius Leonard needs to pick it up

Cory Littleton may lead the League in Solos this year

6 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

Drafted JJ but am really concerned about the way he was manhandled in NO

picked up Hubbard as insurance but going to drop one or the other this week

Darius Leonard needs to pick it up

Cory Littleton may lead the League in Solos this year

It was only week one. Can't overreact over the first week. Whether it be offensive players or IDP.

I kept Leonard and Littleton. 😋

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

I’m sorry that’s the site’s position.  But if one thread is going to contain so many different topics, there’s a strong chance I won’t participate and I love IDP topics. [...]

It’s been my experience that adding IDP to the offensive side of the ball compounds the enjoyment of FF by a much larger multiplier than the simple addition of a greater number of players to track.  It’s not for everyone - casual players probably won’t like the additional effort and time involved.  But for avid FFers who don’t play IDP, you guys are robbing yourselves of a great experience that is hugely fun.

You're preaching to the choir on the merits of IDP.  It's by far my preferred format.  That doesn't change the fact that most people don't play with IDP, and that we as a volunteer staff have to make tough decisions as to where to apply our limited resources.  We already have a difficult time keeping up with the volume in this forum.  Adding another would increase that burden.  Those factors might not matter much to you, but we don't have the luxury of making them someone else's problem.

What I'm offering here is an opportunity to prominently feature an IDP thread in the main forum to keep the AC chatter separate.  You're responding by threatening to take your ball and go home. You do what you need to do, I guess.

32 minutes ago, devaster said:

AC questions will inevitably creep in as they creep in to any offensive player's thread. I trust the mods to assist with that.

Sure, but you guys can help us by reporting AC/CSB whenever you see it.  If the thread becomes a magnet for AC questions and cool stories, and it's impacting our ability to tend to the rest of the site, we may have to change course.  If things go well, we can think about expanding the IDP footprint in future seasons.

Going to pin this for now and see how things go.  Haven't checked with any of the team on this yet, so if this gets killed, well, at least I tried.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Adrian Amos was a useful IDP S a couple seasons ago and then Eddie Jackson showed up last season. Even though Haha pulled through last week with a decent output I think he will have a disappointing season. The safety across from Jackson disappointed last season and I think that continues. Amos in GB looks like he is going to have a great year though.

Hubbard had seven sacks last year in minimal playing time

they've got him playing everywhere... reminds me of Ted Hendricks

Dropped in pass coverage several times the first week

seems to be more so in the hybrid mold of a LB/DL

Guy oozes talent

6 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Devin Bush is going to be a stud rookie LB this year.  

This year's Darius Leonard ? 

If he is going to be this year's Leonard he is off to a slow start. And I know I'm being a bit hypocritical since I just preached about patience after week one.

Currnetly TJ Watt is the defense's signal caller though and Bush wasn't playing all the snaps.

24 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

Hubbard had seven sacks last year in minimal playing time

they've got him playing everywhere... reminds me of Ted Hendricks

Dropped in pass coverage several times the first week

seems to be more so in the hybrid mold of a LB/DL

Guy oozes talent

forgot had 6 solos first week

looks to be a run stopper

few and far between for an edge rusher

39 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

You're responding by threatening to take your ball and go home. You do what you need to do,

Well that’s an interesting take.  I was actually trying to have a discussion, and even though you apparently don’t realize it was trying to present an alternative viewpoint with the intent of trying to be helpful.  I’m sincerely sorry that you have the interpretation that you do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Do people really think Watt is going to struggle to generate stats because Clowney is gone and he is getting more double teams? What was Watt doing before Clowney arrived? He had two 20+ sack seasons and was defensive MVP 2 or 3 times. He has also really only played 1 full season with Clowney due to Clowney's health issues early in Clowney's career and also his own health issues the past few years.

If health and age isn't the issue I don't see why Watt wouldn't produce big time. And Mercilus is no slouch. But maybe the injuries and his health have caught up with him and he is slowing down.

Watt may face extra attention all season unless someone else emerges as a threat to complement him and Mercilus.

“Most of them at least double team him,” Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said of Watt. “Sometimes he gets triple teamed, they chip him on the way out, 

6 hours ago, devaster said:

If he is going to be this year's Leonard he is off to a slow start. And I know I'm being a bit hypocritical since I just preached about patience after week one.

Currnetly TJ Watt is the defense's signal caller though and Bush wasn't playing all the snaps.

He had 7 solo's and 4 assists last week.  You call that a slow start? He only played like 80% of the snaps too. He's expected to be up to 100% of snaps as early as week 2 or 3. Your not only impatient, but you're also uninformed. 

15 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

He had 7 solo's and 4 assists last week.  You call that a slow start? He only played like 80% of the snaps too. He's expected to be up to 100% of snaps as early as week 2 or 3. Your not only impatient, but you're also uninformed. 

My bad. I must have been thinking of one of the other 1st round every down LB'ers. I was specifically targeting him in our rookie draft but someone else was as well and he went way earlier than expected. Think he went in the 2nd round.

Guys I have on my team that I think have good upside

Takkarist Mckinley DE ATL

Xavier Woods S DAL

Jabrill Peppers S NYG

Jordan Whitehead S TB

Anthony Walker Jr. LB IND

My league is 46 man active roster with IDP DYNASTY and a salary CAP we have 2 open spots if anyone is interested.

Edited by ItsMeMario

like Woods led the Cowboys in tackles week 1

Walker may be why Leonard play was down

take a look at Reid, Safety for Houston

going against that rookie mustache fellar this weekend

• Like 1

Other than CJ Mosley, any injured players with an "Out" designation for this week worth stashing in an IR spot?

7 minutes ago, dschddny said:

Other than CJ Mosley, any injured players with an "Out" designation for this week worth stashing in an IR spot?

Long Term Derwin James maybe

13 hours ago, wendellrott said:

Long Term Derwin James maybe

Yeah I've been considering him, but not sure as that's VERY long term.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to stash him in the IR spot until I see that I need the spot for someone else...