tonycpsu

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 3

tonycpsu

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 3

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups for week 3 of the 2019 NFL season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggetions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

Message added by tonycpsu

13 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I was thinking the same thing 😳

2018, time traveller

19 minutes ago, CooL said:

How is Marlon Mack a waiver pickup???!

Better yet, how is he #2?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, hopkinslifker said:

Must have RBs this week, not ranked by order also not by statistics:

What other weeks will you have some nice pickups this early into the season.

1.) Peyton Barber

2.) Marlon Mack

3.) Ito Smith

4.) Frank Gore

Lol the waivers for suggesting playing in real leagues. Guys that play in 6 man leagues or whatever have no business posting here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CamNewton said:

How do we all value the backup lottery tickets at RB?

Justin Jackson

Jaylen Samuels

Mattison

Penny

Darwin Thompson

It should be noted for anyone looking at these names that there's two schools of thought with each warranting its own list. You have the pure handcuff/backup lottery ticket and then you have the for lack of a better terms 'contributing' handcuff/backup lottery ticket.

Pure Handcuff

- Here you're consideration in target player(s) should be more heavily based upon offensive scheme, scoring opportunity usage / red zone play calling, o-line blocking, and the quality of the teams defense which can dictate game-script. I'm not going to details those out, but you should get the gist - you want this guy to be on a high octane offense or one that's dedicated to running the ball (especially close to the goal line) and isn't going to be consistently down by multiple scores due to a trash D causing the run game to vanish. IMO this would be something like; Mattison -> Penny -> Darwin Thompson (needs an injury to be 'cuff for now) -> Justin Jackson -> Jaylen Samuels

Contributing Backup

- Here you're talking guys who are the backup but are still involved on a week to week basis in some capacity that you could use in a pinch with bye weeks starting where you the pure handcuffs have little to no weekly value and would make it difficult to hang on to them through byes, other injuries, etc. 

For that I would say it's speculatively for the next week or two more along the lines of; Justin Jackson -> Mattison -> Darwin Thompson (assuming Williams is out) -> Penny (Carson fumbling issues) -> Jaylen Samuels

This is an example of the value I place on them. You make your own list with this in mind to make a solid choice.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

It should be noted for anyone looking at these names that there's two schools of thought with each warranting its own list. You have the pure handcuff/backup lottery ticket and then you have the for lack of a better terms 'contributing' handcuff/backup lottery ticket.

Pure Handcuff

- Here you're consideration in target player(s) should be more heavily based upon offensive scheme, scoring opportunity usage / red zone play calling, o-line blocking, and the quality of the teams defense which can dictate game-script. I'm not going to details those out, but you should get the gist - you want this guy to be on a high octane offense or one that's dedicated to running the ball (especially close to the goal line) and isn't going to be consistently down by multiple scores due to a trash D causing the run game to vanish. IMO this would be something like; Mattison -> Penny -> Darwin Thompson (needs an injury to be 'cuff for now) -> Justin Jackson -> Jaylen Samuels

Contributing Backup

- Here you're talking guys who are the backup but are still involved on a week to week basis in some capacity that you could use in a pinch with bye weeks starting where you the pure handcuffs have little to no weekly value and would make it difficult to hang on to them through byes, other injuries, etc. 

For that I would say it's speculatively for the next week or two more along the lines of; Justin Jackson -> Mattison -> Darwin Thompson (assuming Williams is out) -> Penny (Carson fumbling issues) -> Jaylen Samuels

This is an example of the value I place on them. You make your own list with this in mind to make a solid choice.

Based on this, I'd extrapolate that you'd rank them:

1) Mattison

2) Jackson

3) Penny

4) Thompson

5) Samuels

13 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Based on this, I'd extrapolate that you'd rank them:

1) Mattison

2) Jackson

3) Penny

4) Thompson

5) Samuels

Excluding personal biases, you got it.

One other caveat to add is in keeper formats, but it's an if and only if your roster can support the move, is switching Darwin Thompson and Justin Jackson. Andy Reid is notorious for slowly working in and capping his young RB's touches and we should see Williams usage scale back over the course of the season. This is Shady's backfield, but the split we see this week between Shady and Thompson could very well be a preview of the split we see later in the season but with Thompson leading and Shady supplementing. A lot needs to happen, but we already checked one of those boxes off with gaining an opportunity through injury, and now we're one electric play, a few poor performance from McCoy, or a hammy away from it coming to fruition. You're going to have to buy in early and be patient through some potentially tough times to yield the payoff though!

• Thanks 1

sterling is expected to clear concussion protocol....if he somehow got dropped by disgruntled manager

Deebo.... will be #1 receiver on this team... Sometimes a player just wants to be better than guys with more talent. Think this is deebo. He played against great Cover corners for years at SC. Always drawing the best of Alabama, LSU, Florida... etc. SF Defense will help this team, if healthy maybe a playoff spot...

Re: all the handcuff talk, Chase Edmonds says hi. 

Speaking of handcuffs, especially for Josh Jacobs owners, whoever you think will benefit from him missing some time should probably be on your radar.

4 hours ago, JaylenBrownFanclub said:

Malcom brown >>>>

Malcolm Brown shouldn’t be on free agency in 10+ team leagues. That’s why I didn’t list him. If he’s there, he’s right there with Mattison as 1A and 1B.

• Like 1

Marcedes Lewis, GB TE for those needing a boom or bust TE (Graham not practicing)

Edited by rxn

6 hours ago, Cord said:

Re: all the handcuff talk, Chase Edmonds says hi. 

Speaking of handcuffs, especially for Josh Jacobs owners, whoever you think will benefit from him missing some time should probably be on your radar.

Jalen Richard would be a good add for PPR leagues if Jacobs misses games but for other leagues, I think they could resign Doug Martin so not sure that DeAndre Washington would be worth an add.  Right now Washington is the backup but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they signed another rb like Martin.

Anybody in Yahoo leagues picking up AJ Brown just to see what he does tonight?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ccimore said:

I dropped him last week for a more usable player for my team but I don't think that adding him before the game tonight is a bad idea if you have a spot available.

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Jalen Richard would be a good add for PPR leagues if Jacobs misses games but for other leagues, I think they could resign Doug Martin so not sure that DeAndre Washington would be worth an add.  Right now Washington is the backup but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they signed another rb like Martin.

Think Duke and Hyde type backfield if Jacobs cannot go.

1 hour ago, ccimore said:

I miss that move. (no Yahoo for me this year.) I always dropped my kicker for any available player going on a Thursday. Why not? 

7 minutes ago, jujus-jujubees said:

I miss that move. (no Yahoo for me this year.) I always dropped my kicker for any available player going on a Thursday. Why not? 

That move is my mantra...

• Like 1

Deep League Dives: Week 3

QB

Ryan Tannehill (Week 4): Mariota looked awful tonight...9 sacks ugh.  One more bad start from a potential changing of the guard here?

Kyle Allen: Cam looks to be more hurt than meets the eye.  Allen is capable with a supporting cast of playmakers galore!

Taysom Hill: Feel like he can do everything Bridgewater can, but little better

Dwayne Haskins: Skins going nowhere fast.  A matter of time before his number is called???

Josh Rosen: He can't be any worse than Fitz...can he?

RB

Jamaal Williams: News of more of an even split what A Jones has his arrow trending up! 

Ty Johnson: Elevated to the 2nd chair with CJ Anderson release.  Explosive playmaker with straight speed.  Not too shifty, however possesses solid hands as a pass catcher

Chase Edmonds

Jordan Wilkins: Oft-injured Mack is hobbled already.  Hines would soak up 3rd down, but Wilkins will see early downs if Marlon sits

DeAndre Washington: Jacobs is still limited.  Figures to get early down work should the rookie sit

WR

Keelan Doss: Ryan Grant won't keep him on the sidelines for long.....could make an impact as soon as this weekend

TJ Jones: Carried an impressive pre-season over into his first regular season showing last week....bump him up if Shepard fails to get cleared, as well as  in leagues that reward special team production (PR)

Mack Hollins: 8 targets last week....doubling Arcega-Whiteside....Agholor continues to struggle with drops.  Sneaky start with Jeffery & D-Jax out for the forseeable future.

Steven Sims: Speedster could be a sneaky gadget player for  an offense that is starved for playmakers

Deon Cain: Should eventually rise to prominence as the WR2 in Indy

Devin Smith: Explosive post-hype sleeper here.  Opportunity knocking with Gallup on the shelf

Dez Bryant: Expressed interest in making a comeback with whispers about a possible reunion with Dallas.  More of a watch at this point

Deontae Johnson: Dynamic receiver, who has garnered rave reviews.  Out-targeted James Washington last week, while contributing on punt returns.  Certainly radar worthy

TE

Mercedes Lewis: Desperation play if Jimmy Graham sits 

Jordan Reed: Looked phenomenal in camp prior to sustaining a concussion in the pre-season.  While he's healthy...don't blink...he should be within the upper tier of tight end pass catchers.  Trending towards returning on Monday night. 

Ricky Seals-Jones: While Harris is the Njoku replacement receiving the most helium, he is more of a blocker, while Seals-Jones is superior pass catcher. 

Lance Kendricks: Because Virgil Green is the only option in front of him

Josh Oliver

• Like 6

Toss out Chase Edmunds.

It's rather evident Kingsbury will simply throw it 90%+ of the time if David Johnson is out. He simply doesn't give a s--- about RBs..Kliff has DJ blocking Defensive Ends on 3rd downs in order to have the max amount of receivers in a formation and keep the minimum possible blocking in.

You really think this man is going to give Edmunds a real time share if David Johnson goes down?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

Toss out Chase Edmunds.

It's rather evident Kingsbury will simply throw it 90%+ of the time if David Johnson is out. He simply doesn't give a s--- about RBs..Kliff has DJ blocking Defensive Ends on 3rd downs in order to have the max amount of receivers in a formation and keep the minimum possible blocking in.

You really think this man is going to give Edmunds a real time share if David Johnson goes down?

Hmm. Wouldn't that include throws ... to the running back?