Sign in to follow this  
munde53

Benny Snell Jr. 2019 Outlook

Conner is injured but might not miss any time. I've never been impressed by Jaylen Samuels as a runner and Snell seems to be in a similar mold as Conner. 

I remember Snell was very highly thought of pre-combine and was even considered to be a lock as a 2nd round pick. Then the combine happened and he performed as a sub-par NFL athlete which caused his stock to plummet to the point where some thought he should go in the 6th round. The Steelers obviously still liked him as they "reached" for him in the 4th round of the 2019 draft. All that being said, what he lacks in athletic ability he makes up for with balance and power. 

If Conner misses any time this week, or down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if Snell is able to work his way into a 50/50 time share with Samuels or even become the leader in that committee.

Reportedly has "a long way to go" in regards to pass protection, so I don't see him getting a 50/50 split unless he improves drastically in pass pro from what was reported in August.

I watched a lot of UK football last year.  He never lived up to the hype.  He was a physical runner, but he is too slow and not explosive.  He got it off of volume. His measureables were what I saw watching him and didn't surprise me.  A guy expected to wear down a defense by crashing into them. He was also a victim of that awful UK playcalling.

A grinder type who is dead without good blocking.  Running style reminds me of Gerhart.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 4

Joe Rutter (@tribjoerutter) Tweeted: Tomlin expects Benny Snell to get more "exposure" at running back in wake of Jaylen Samuels injury. Lauds Snell for the work done on special teams so far.

6 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Joe Rutter (@tribjoerutter) Tweeted: Tomlin expects Benny Snell to get more "exposure" at running back in wake of Jaylen Samuels injury. Lauds Snell for the work done on special teams so far.

I’m too lazy to look, but how’s “matt” snell’s pass catching chops? Does he have stone hands or decent mitts?

2 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

I’m too lazy to look, but how’s “matt” snell’s pass catching chops? Does he have stone hands or decent mitts?

WHO CARE!?!?!?   ALL IN ON THIS GUY.   NEXT KAMARA

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, K197040 said:

WHO CARE!?!?!?   ALL IN ON THIS GUY.   NEXT KAMARA

I like him next year, not so much this year. Pittsburgh drafts big backs, has them cut weight, and sophomore year they tend to explode. Snell is a plodder. I do think he has a bright future, great power/vision/hands and can see him being a good stash. Not gonna take the league by storm however. 

23 minutes ago, savagenatn said:

People in 1 PPR do kinda care about minor details like that

All aboard!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember watching this kid last year at Kentucky and he screamed "NFL running back." It might not be this year but I think he becomes relevant sometime over the next 2 years. Dude is a stud.

• Thanks 1

I think he has some slower chubb in him..

Posted (edited)

prob gonna claim him, is he worth it? should get some play, might drop mvs for him. I can see him getting action in this lost season

Edited by whadeeb

Just now, LuckyLukas said:

it's a bye week after Chargers

... with Dolphins week 8. 

who knows, maybe the Stillers trot in some street meat to bolster the backfield ... or maybe Conner gets nicked again. 

Snells Like Teen Spirit is intriguing if peripherals break the way they should. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hard1 said:

I think he has some slower chubb in him..

Sounds painful

• Haha 4

Nothing to see here. Third most talented back on a terrible offense. Samuels' injury just gives a huge uptick to Conner IMO, won't do much for Snell. 

• Haha 1

Yeah I don’t know what the play is here. Their offense is terrible. No way in hell I’d think about starting this guy with Conner active, so he’s basically a handcuff for the next month while Samuels heals. But there’s bye next week for Conner to rest up. Gotta be a better stash in your league

Anything to see here? I didn't catch the game last night but just looking at boxscore he had a productive night. 

2 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

Anything to see here? I didn't catch the game last night but just looking at boxscore he had a productive night. 

He is a great handcuff and this might be a 1A/1B situation since the Steelers are going to be running an insane amount. He's worth looking at in my opinion, but the worry with him (and Connor) is the Steelers offense turning back into garbage. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pdizzle710 said:

Conner played 90% of the snaps, then late in the game when they were in clock killing mode and Conner was dinged up Snell looked competent. Did nothing when Conner was playing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pdizzle710 said:

Conner got hurt, and Snell Jr got garbage time run, showed well. Unfortunately Conner now has bye week to get right. Elite cuff with upside if Conner misses time and Samuels out longer than expected. Looked good running ball forsure, although Conner looked like winner from Samuels injury, finally featured.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

Conner played 90% of the snaps, then late in the game when they were in clock killing mode and Conner was dinged up Snell looked competent. Did nothing when Conner was playing. 

Conner played 90 percent of snaps and Benny Snell got 17 carries?