turner46

Kemba Walker 2019-2020 Outlook

I try to find players with new a coach, new role, new team, in a contract year etc... You can say Kemba checks the first three boxes and I'm pretty sure most would say all those changes are improvements for Kemba. Kemba was in a contract year last year and balled out earning nba 3rd team honors and in the process making him eligible for the super max contract but he turned it down to get out of Charlotte and now in Boston he will be coached by a much better coach, play with much better teammates, actually be televised on national tv and have a shot at the postseason for only the 3rd time going into his 9th season. All these factors have Kemba's arrow pointing up for me this fantasy draft season.

• Like 1

im expecting better FG, asts but lower PPG. hope stevens can controls his sometimes sketchy shot selection.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, flippy said:

im expecting better FG, asts but lower PPG. hope stevens can controls his sometimes sketchy shot selection.

Hopefully more FTA (and makes) to help the PPG as well

On 9/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, turner46 said:

I try to find players with new a coach, new role, new team, in a contract year etc... You can say Kemba checks the first three boxes and I'm pretty sure most would say all those changes are improvements for Kemba. Kemba was in a contract year last year and balled out earning nba 3rd team honors and in the process making him eligible for the super max contract but he turned it down to get out of Charlotte and now in Boston he will be coached by a much better coach, play with much better teammates, actually be televised on national tv and have a shot at the postseason for only the 3rd time going into his 9th season. All these factors have Kemba's arrow pointing up for me this fantasy draft season.

I would disagree with being in a better situation fantasy wise.  Better real life.  But way worse fantasy wise.  Hornets were the absolute best situation for Kemba, being surrounded by absolutely no one, being forced to be the entire offense.  There were games last year when he was having a dud, then scored like 20 points and 4 threes in the 4th quarter alone because they literally had no one else and Kemba had to shoot every single possession.  No way he's better this year in Boston.  Maybe his FG goes up 1-2%, but I don't see anything else improving.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

I would disagree with being in a better situation fantasy wise.  Better real life.  But way worse fantasy wise.  Hornets were the absolute best situation for Kemba, being surrounded by absolutely no one, being forced to be the entire offense.  There were games last year when he was having a dud, then scored like 20 points and 4 threes in the 4th quarter alone because they literally had no one else and Kemba had to shoot every single possession.  No way he's better this year in Boston.  Maybe his FG goes up 1-2%, but I don't see anything else improving.  

Not even assists? Fts?

I feel like he won't have the same usage but the combination of Stevens' schemes with better teammates should make things easier on him and while he may not take as many shots an improvement in assts/fg%/fta would buoy his value

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quazza said:

Where'd he finish overall last season in 9cat?

per game rank 20,total rank 13

spacer.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, apatas said:

Do you rank Kemba behind Jrue Holiday and Kyrie Irving?

I do but he’s played more games than both

If it’s roto I’d rank them Kyrie, Jrue, Kemba.  If it’s H2H I like to look at percentage of total games played and multiply that by games during fantasy playoffs because you care about games during fantasy playoffs.  Kemba is durable but has a s--- playoff schedule so I’d give him 8 games during fantasy playoffs.  Brooklyn has the better schedule of the three so despite being less durable I’d still rank Kyrie first bc he could easily play 9 games.  Jrue would be in the middle 8-9.  So in this particular case my roto ranks and H2H ranks would be the same.  

19 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

But way worse fantasy wise.  Hornets were the absolute best situation for Kemba, being surrounded by absolutely no one, being forced to be the entire offense. 

I agree 100%. I couldn't really watch Charlotte as the game was painful to watch, but watching Kemba hero-ball for 25 shots was kind of like watching Westbrook after KD and before PG.

I think he peaked in value last year, and I think a decrease in minutes is likely, thus I'm expecting a slight dip in counting stats all around. Some categories not as much as others. It would be great if he can maintain his assists whilst playing less minutes. His per-36 has been really consistent the last few years, but at least I don't think there's a reason to expect missing games as Boston could be fighting for top 2 seed.

Wishful thinking:

1. Can gamble more on defense
  2. Teammates can space to help his FTA and assists.. no shooting bigs though
  3. Feeds Kanter 20 times a game to pad assists
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, StifleTower2 said:

If it’s roto I’d rank them Kyrie, Jrue, Kemba.  If it’s H2H I like to look at percentage of total games played and multiply that by games during fantasy playoffs because you care about games during fantasy playoffs.  Kemba is durable but has a s--- playoff schedule so I’d give him 8 games during fantasy playoffs.  Brooklyn has the better schedule of the three so despite being less durable I’d still rank Kyrie first bc he could easily play 9 games.  Jrue would be in the middle 8-9.  So in this particular case my roto ranks and H2H ranks would be the same.  

What playoff schedule are you using? Vast majority I have seen typically end March 29th and he has a 4/3/4.

I am high on Kemba this season! His PPG will for sure drop due to less FGA, but every other category should go up, especially FG, FTA and AST. He has never been in such a situation where he actually has solid teammates and a great coaching stuff and a real shot of making a deep run into the playoffs. 

On top of that he plays almost all the games which makes him more valuable than Kyrie or Holiday for me.

7 hours ago, KB24MVP said:

I am high on Kemba this season

I am as well. I think all the pieces are there for him to have a great season. I think it'll be more the Isaiah Thomas type Boston fit rather than the Kyrie Irving one. 

Don't panic guys.  I had a bad day in owning Kemba AND Conley. But you have to trust in their proven history.  One game is just one game.

It's days like these where the smart owners take advantage of owners who feel like all of us Kemba owners. Don't fall for it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DZaak said:

Don't panic guys.  I had a bad day in owning Kemba AND Conley. But you have to trust in their proven history.  One game is just one game.

It's days like these where the smart owners take advantage of owners who feel like all of us Kemba owners. Don't fall for it.

I'm so glad to read this. Lifting my spirits high after I drafted him for the 14th pick.

Sorry to make you feel bad, but I picked him 29th.  It's a 16-team league though so he is my #2 guy.

8 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

I don't understand all the overreactions from opening day lol. 

It feeds into the fear that kemba is getting older and playing for a better team that wont  allow him to just chuck it up there. Also tyat last year was a "pay me" type thing.