Sign in to follow this  
Corleone

The Importance of Kickers

12 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Having a top kicker is a huge advantage IMO. They're undervalued. And that chart is a little misleading because Zuerlein missed time. He plays a full season and the top 4 were essentially dead on. Drafting this year Zuerlein and Tucker were locks. Big advantage having one of those two. And you can get them in rounds where everything is a complete crapshoot. 

I was going to say the same thing. It should be based on points per game not by the total.

There is luck involved with kickers for sure. But getting a top 5 kicker increases the probability that you get a higher score.

For instance last year I had Mahomes/Hill/Antonio Brown/George Kittle/Chicago Bears Defense/Zuerline/ Marlon Mack in a 4 team league. My probability of winning was high with those players. But I still lost and ended in 3rd place lol

Don't draft a kicker who's going to miss a bunch of XP's and FG's and then consider retiring after 2 weeks. Oh wait, too late for that.

I usually try for kickers on high scoring offenses that get long kick chances. Greg the leg, Butker, etc... week 1 Butker put up 17 points in my league. The leg put up 14 or 15. Last week Butker only had 4, but yeah, i would rather have a kicker that can get 17 over a 8 pt a week kicker. 4 isn’t normal from Butker. 

The importance of kickers: I am 1-1 instead of 2-0 because Vinatieri missed 3 field goals in week 1. So, they're important. 

3 minutes ago, Bluecore said:

The importance of kickers: I am 1-1 instead of 2-0 because Vinatieri missed 3 field goals in week 1. So, they're important. 

Oof, that is a rough one for sure. Out of curiosity, can you check your draft results to see how many kickers were already drafted before Vinatieri, as well as the league size in question?

I dumped kickers from my league 2 years ago, adding another flex position instead.  Best decision ever.

4 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Why is he currently on the WW after only two weeks of play?

Because kickers are unpredictable and he hadn't been scoring.  He's only got 2 chip shot attempts and some XPs this year.  He was dropped for a guy who's getting a lot more FG attempts.  

I'm on my 3rd kicker in 3 weeks and I'm not picking him up.  

11 hours ago, Corleone said:

For those in long-running leagues, are you able to look up the kickers that the league champ has had? 

We know that the "experts" say that kickers should only be taken in either the last or second-to-last round of your draft. 

I want to emphasize that people need to understand the difference between "don't waste draft capitol on a kicker" and "kickers don't matter".

Kickers absolutely matter.  But in my experience, there is very little correlation to kicker draft position and fantasy output.  Other than maybe LegaTron.  Additionally, good managers will always seek any PPG advantage they can find, throughout the year.  I spend the first 4 weeks using my kicker as an extra roster spot, and picking up whoever plays Sunday Night or Monday Night.  After that, I'm looking for good offenses with terrible Red Zone success rates.  I mentioned it in the Pre-Season Game thread, but my #1 target this year is the Browns kicker.  (Although the CAR Kicker might be even better)  Luckily CLE K (Austin Seibert) was the Monday night game last week, so that was a nice 13 point pickup.

Also, if you have a QB you love to root AGAINST, picking up the Kicker of that team can have a fun effect, as you get a legit reason to against them, as it tends to result in FGs.

In the name of science though: (Fair Warning, my league gives 4 for 40+, 5 for 50+, but the season long scoring site I'm using scores a flat 3 for all FG, so grain of salt)

2010 David Akers #1
2011 David Akers #1
2012 Stephen Gostkowski #1
2013 Adam Vinatieri #8
2014 Mason Crosby #4
2015 Stephen Gostkowski #1
2016 Matt Prater #13
2017 Greg Zuerlein #1 & Matt Bryant #8
2018 Daniel Carlson #29 & Brandon McManus #20

• Thanks 1

One of the worst beats I ever had was when I went up against a Titans kicker 2-3 years ago (think it was Succop) that dropped like 22 point on me in a Monday night game to beat me by one point. I think I was up by 20 points before the start and had TY Hilton in the same game who had some stupidly awful game.

Here is the best part....I was going to eek out a victory, but while Ten is running out the clock D. Henry busts like a 70 yard touchdown by stretching some run to the sideline and taking one to the house with a tiny amount of time left. The kicker nails the extra point and I lost. Definitely broke something in my house that night and swore off fantasy football forever.

I despise kickers.

• Thanks 1

I have seen a lot of complaints about kickers over the years, mostly that their scoring is erratic and inconsistent due to circumstances beyond their control, and for the most part this can be mitigated through scoring changes, in my opinion.  A couple years ago when they moved PATs back to be essentially 33 yard FGs, it made me want to tweak kicker scoring because it was silly to me that a 33 yard FG is 3 points but a PAT is 1 in fantasy.  So this prompted me to make the following scoring changes for kickers:

Point After Attempt Made: 2

Point After Attempt Missed: -.5

Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards: -2

Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards: -1

Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards: -.5

Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards: -.25

These have been some of the best changes I've ever made honestly, I enjoy them a whole lot.  It mitigates those days where your kicker's offense is good enough to score only touchdowns and gives them respectable points that is based more about the difficulty of their kicks.  2 points for a PAT has felt like a very great compromise between real life scoring contribution to the game and also real life kicking difficulty with the distance.  With the influx of points at the position from that change, it was important for me to add negative points for misses also based on difficulty, to add as a small element to help keep kicker scoring from getting too crazy.

They aren’t that important. Gostkowski just scored 4 points in a 43 point win.

Ignore kickers from putrid offenses, ignore rookies, and ignore injuries. Other than that, whatever.

Personally, I use my kickers roster spot to take fliers during the week. Example: In a superflex league, I had no one I wanted to drop, so I dropped my kicker to snag Taysom Hill while I waited to see if anything came from the Saints about him starting. 

Of course the week I decided to focus on kickers and stream TNF kickers because games on TNF are defensive struggles and kickers historically do well on TNF...And my reward? 1 point from the Titans kicker. 

Basically...I hate kickers! 

Do postings regarding this topic causing an immediate suspension?

spacer.png

Edited by Mr_Baller