jay_00

Marc Gasol 2019-2020 Outlook

Guy in my league traded him for Kelly Olynyk. Who would have thought?!?!

In fantasy Gasol sucks so far this year.

In real life, he is golden mine.  Even on only 26 min per game his defensive numbers are awesom

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=OPP_PTS_PAINT&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C&CF=MIN*GE*20

opponent points in paint: Gasol -24.7, Embiid- 22.7, Jokic - 25, Vucevic - 28.2, Gobert - 29.6, Kat - 31.7

Defensive win shares:

Gasol - 0.131, Embiid - 0.208, Jokic - 0.162,  Vucevic - 0.117, Gobert - 0.197,  Kat - 0.107

31 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

In fantasy Gasol sucks so far this year.

In real life, he is golden mine.  Even on only 26 min per game his defensive numbers are awesom

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=OPP_PTS_PAINT&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=C&CF=MIN*GE*20

opponent points in paint: Gasol -24.7, Embiid- 22.7, Jokic - 25, Vucevic - 28.2, Gobert - 29.6, Kat - 31.7

Defensive win shares:

Gasol - 0.131, Embiid - 0.208, Jokic - 0.162,  Vucevic - 0.117, Gobert - 0.197,  Kat - 0.107

This right here is why I still think he is a hold/re-add in 12T leagues while Ibaka is gone.

Sometimes guys are just out of funk but they are doing the same things they always did. For Gasol, he is slightly less active with his hands in a way thats translated to STLs and BLKs in the past and his touch is off by a bit which has affected his efficiency/3s. I do think both those things aren't gone and you would be banking on him hitting a bit of a hot patch while still getting the thing you want most in fantasy which is minutes.

1 hour ago, Jake the snake said:

Remember when they played the Magic a couple weeks back? Probably not because 'Merica don't watch Raptors despite being the champs. Vuce went 1/13 from the floor for 5pts...That's an all-star centre (who he destroyed in the playoffs too).

Lets go through the other games. McGee 5/11 - 10pts; Okafor 3/3 - 6pts; Holmes 4/8 - 8pts; Lopez 4/11 - 11pts; Drummond 10/17 - 21pts (still -22 +/-); Carter 6/14 - 12pts; Theis 0/7 - 1pt; Favors 3/6 - 6pts.

Those are pretty impressive defensive numbers - opponent starting centres have shot 32/90 - 35.6% from the field with Gasol averaging 27 mpg. He is absolutely one of the best defensive centres (if not still the best) in the league even at age 34 and coming of a summer basically without rest. Incredible player. IRL he is an absolute beast on the defensive end, which is a huge part of why the Raptors are good. In fantasy he sucks, because his offensive game has declined and he isn't asked to be a scorer. But the two things are very different...

Just because a guy doesn't fill up the box score doesn't mean he is a bad basketballer.

If you don’t want to drop the condescension, that’s up to you. I’m not even American. If you cannot comprehend what I just said, then i’ll summarize it for you: 

I like Marc and know what he’s capable of, which makes his current incarnation frustrating to watch for me.

You may be from Canada but you can’t tell me he’s out there playing hard or locked in. Lowry is almost the same age, locked in and playing hard. <- My Point

Your list of centers doesn’t say much either, because with the exception of Vooch, Dre and maybe WCJ, everyone else you mentioned is a 20-25 mpg low usage role player.

Your point also assumes that they straight up iso vs Marc, they don’t.The Raptors play a lot of zone, with their entire team ready to help.

But you know what? If they want to utilize Marc like this (and it looks like this is the case) fine. They’re winning basketball games while maximizing FVV, Spicy P and OG. I understand the logic, as those boys are the future and they’re 7-2 after all.

It is what it is I guess.

27 minutes ago, Mikhov said:

You may be from Canada but you can’t tell me he’s out there playing hard or locked in. Lowry is almost the same age, locked in and playing hard. <- My Point

I would suggest watching few Raptors games and the answer will be obvious.  His role is on defense and he is killing it in real life. His +/- rating is 2nd on the team  (+8.7)behind Siakam .   Every other defensive stat is also good.   You don't get that  by not playing hard.

If you drafted Gasol and were hoping to get his numbers from  Memphis,   to quote  Men in Black's  words from Princess Bride; "Get used to disappointment"

• Like 2

Yeah... I’m watching the game and he’s definitely still a great player. Not for fantasy, but this guy makes winning plays. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JooCraig said:

Yeah... I’m watching the game and he’s definitely still a great player. Not for fantasy, but this guy makes winning plays. 

I actually think he is still a definite low end 12T player. He will always get so many minutes and at end of day he has active hands, initiates offense and plays C with a good amount of touch. That will generate into enough useful category production especially as he comes out of this slump shooting wise.

Don't look now, the 79 game playin, 29 fant pt per night stud is slowly creepin back up...in my league he scored only 8 fantasy pts less than Pascal Siakam last year...been tough this year but he's def on the rise...  

Not sure if its coaching/gameplan, or Gasol's decision but he seems to be going out of his way not to shoot right now, instead opting to facilitate and screen to create looks for all these young roleplayers the raptors have developing this year

I think that has a lot to do with how the raptors are winning games despite injuries to vets so far, and I don't think it's going to change as long as its working

If you can afford single digit scoring output, he's still giving decent production across the board otherwise