kmoore1521

Hassan Whiteside 2019-2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the Heat are finalizing a trade that sends Hassan Whiteside to the Blazers for Moe Harkless and Meyers Leonard.

In case it wasn't already obvious, Bam Adebayo is set up for a big year in Miami as their starting center. The Heat have been shopping Whiteside for a long time and finally found a team willing to take the final year of his deal worth $27M. This move gives the Blazers a starting center while Jusuf Nurkic continues his road to recovery and gives them some financial flexibility for the summer of 2020. With Nurkic's timetable unclear, Whiteside could be set up for a bounce-back year and will be an elite source of FG%, rebounds and blocks.

 

Coach Terry Stotts said Hassan Whiteside is "a perfect fit" on the Blazers.

Stotts said he believes Whiteside can grow on offense now that he's next to Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum, and that he will be used in pick-and-roll plays. President Neil Olshey also talked up how Whiteside should be in a big spot on his new team, and he has very little depth behind him -- the Blazers are likely going to try to add help in free agency. If Whiteside falls, he could be a great value in the middle rounds.

 

Hassan Whiteside suggested on his Instagram account that he could be ready for 30 minutes per game.

"Let’s see what I can do with 30+ mins," Whiteside posted when talking about his NBA 2K rating. Whiteside did hit 30-plus minutes in 13 games last season and 15 times in 2017-18, so it's possible he could have it in him. Plus, both president Neil Olshey and coach Terry Stotts have really talked him up with Stotts calling him a "perfect fit." Whiteside will be a bounce-back candidate with major upside and you can get him in the middle rounds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've flipped flopped on Whiteside but overall I think he's in for a huge year, and he actually has a somewhat safe floor.  I know they want to get Collins on the floor and give him big minutes, with Collins at the 4 and Whiteside at the 5.  I wasn't sure that would work and was thinking that Collins could eat into Whiteside's minutes at the 5...and later in the year when Nurk comes back, etc etc.  So maybe roto is better than h2h?  I don't know, I can't see them totally cutting his minutes down the stretch after he kills it for 2/3 of the year...I do think the really bad FT was due to unhappiness (and maybe mechanics too), but I think it goes back up to around 60% but you never know with that stuff.   Historically he's been a top 20-30-ish player whenever he's gotten adequate minutes, so if you don't mind a little risk I would take him if I need a big and he slips outside the top 60, and know that you have top 20-ish type of upside...basically if he's fire he's Gobert (minus elite FG) who's a 2nd round pick.  Hell even in just 20 minutes he's a double double with blocks.  Now imagine if he gets 30?   

 

15 points 12+ rebounds 2+ blocks 0.7 steals 57-60% FG (possibly better FG with actual spacing and better players around him)...

Edited by hipriest69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Gobert he is three category player - rebounds, blocks, FG%. When he was popular 2nd round target I avoid him, but now he can be available in 5th round and that is right place to pick him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His ADP on fantrax is 69.  I took him in the 8th round in dynasty roto as the last big in that mid-tier (probably because no one wants him as his long term situation is murky with Nurk coming back).  As my 3rd big man I feel like he can help me win rebounds and blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given his current ADP, the biggest concern is obviously the very poor FT%.  Can be a real drain on your team if it doesn't improve, especially if he's getting more minutes (and theoretically more FT attempts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with both he and Adams is they’re both atrocious at FT%. Worse than Drummond or Stifle and much worse than Capela.  So if you have a non-punt team and pick him in the 5th round now you’re punting even harder than a team with Capela and Draymond.  So it’s not really worth it imo unless you’re already punting.   But if you’re already punting you may not need his blocks.  I’m not a fan of him in non-punt teams in any case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

The problem with both he and Adams is they’re both atrocious at FT%. Worse than Drummond or Stifle and much worse than Capela.  So if you have a non-punt team and pick him in the 5th round now you’re punting even harder than a team with Capela and Draymond.  So it’s not really worth it imo unless you’re already punting.   But if you’re already punting you may not need his blocks.  I’m not a fan of him in non-punt teams in any case. 

 

Whiteside has the potential to be 60-70% FT as he has proven many times in the past (3 of 6 years).  Adams highest was 61% which he did once.  

 

Whiteside could be anywhere between 40%-70% lol he has the biggest % swing in all of basketball, and no one has no idea what it will be.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Whiteside had a mindf*ck going on last year in Miami. He is probably going to be much happier in Portland. Free throws has to be mental...especially if you played for a coach that would just sit you the entire 4Q rountinely. I think Whiteside will have a very good year in Portland. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I think Whiteside had a mindf*ck going on last year in Miami. He is probably going to be much happier in Portland. Free throws has to be mental...especially if you played for a coach that would just sit you the entire 4Q rountinely. I think Whiteside will have a very good year in Portland. 

 

Yes exactly, this is what I thought too.  But then he has physical limitations because he kept messing around and changing his form all the time, so that adds another layer of complexity to having to predict his FT%.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I think Whiteside had a mindf*ck going on last year in Miami. He is probably going to be much happier in Portland. Free throws has to be mental...especially if you played for a coach that would just sit you the entire 4Q rountinely. I think Whiteside will have a very good year in Portland. 

 

I think its going to be real fun...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

 

Yes exactly, this is what I thought too.  But then he has physical limitations because he kept messing around and changing his form all the time, so that adds another layer of complexity to having to predict his FT%.  

I am not saying he is going to hit his FT at his best mark ever, but I think he will be better than last year. The initial reaction to that is probably going to be something along the lines of 48% is better than 44% but they still both suck. Of course that is true. And of course Whiteside isn't going to not hurt your FT%. But, if he is playing confident and happy there is a significant difference between the 40s and 60s for %. 

End of the day Whiteside is a statline you have to build accordingly with. League format. Scoring type. All of that stuff heavily factors in to where each person ranks him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone concerned with this guy? He’s pre season hasn’t been flattering thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s a weird fit imo with this Portland team. I wouldn’t reach unless one is desperate for boards n blocks. In real hoops I see this as a one year rental as a result of the nurk injury. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry Stotts is not gonna give Whiteside over 30 minutes a game. He would not even give Nurkic over 27. He gave him 26 the previous year and 21 the year before that. And constantly took him out of games even when he was straight up dominating. I've had Nurkic for a few years and noticed that Stotts just likes to split up his Center minutes with whoever can play that spot. So no chance he gives Whiteside anywhere near 30. He would be lucky to get 25 and that's before Nurkic comes back, and at that point they will probably split minutes and Whitside will be lucky to even get 20 minutes a game. So although this is a contract year for Whiteside and the potential is there to get monster #s, don't expect it from him cause he won't get the minutes to produce those #s. It's too bad he had to end up with Stotts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magic32 said:

Terry Stotts is not gonna give Whiteside over 30 minutes a game. He would not even give Nurkic over 27. He gave him 26 the previous year and 21 the year before that. And constantly took him out of games even when he was straight up dominating. I've had Nurkic for a few years and noticed that Stotts just likes to split up his Center minutes with whoever can play that spot. So no chance he gives Whiteside anywhere near 30. He would be lucky to get 25 and that's before Nurkic comes back, and at that point they will probably split minutes and Whitside will be lucky to even get 20 minutes a game. So although this is a contract year for Whiteside and the potential is there to get monster #s, don't expect it from him cause he won't get the minutes to produce those #s. It's too bad he had to end up with Stotts. 

Besides Whiteside and Collins, who else will play the 5? Pau Gasol for like 10 minutes a game at best until he gets hurt? Portland is screwed/very thin at the 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rbra4176 said:

Besides Whiteside and Collins, who else will play the 5? Pau Gasol for like 10 minutes a game at best until he gets hurt? Portland is screwed/very thin at the 5. 

I know they are thin there, but it doesn't matter. He will Put in Collins, Gasol, Skal, Brown, or any scrub, But he will definitely not give Whiteside over 30. He will play small ball before he does that. If you think Whiteside had problems with Spoelstra, wait til he deals with Stotts...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, magic32 said:

I know they are thin there, but it doesn't matter. He will Put in Collins, Gasol, Skal, Brown, or any scrub, But he will definitely not give Whiteside over 30. He will play small ball before he does that. If you think Whiteside had problems with Spoelstra, wait til he deals with Stotts...

Agreed.  And since Collins is much more effective at the 5, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a near 50/50 time share between the two, and not out of the realm of possibility Collins moves ahead of Whiteside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are overreacting. It will not be 30+ minutes, but I don't believe it will be lower than 25. I expect it around 27-28 and I believe this is enough. 

The problem with Zach at 5 is that they also have a huge gap at 4 and Zach will not play 48 minutes. 28 Whiteside and 20 between Pau and Zach is my estimation. Small ball they cannot play as there is nobody like Aminu as well to do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

I think you are overreacting. It will not be 30+ minutes, but I don't believe it will be lower than 25. I expect it around 27-28 and I believe this is enough. 

The problem with Zach at 5 is that they also have a huge gap at 4 and Zach will not play 48 minutes. 28 Whiteside and 20 between Pau and Zach is my estimation. Small ball they cannot play as there is nobody like Aminu as well to do it.

 

They still have Labissiere can play both 4 and 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, kane said:

They still have Labissiere can play both 4 and 5

Yeah and Tolliver and Hoard. I might be wrong but I still don't see the issue. They are supposed to have a 15+2 roster. How many capable of quality minutes at the 5? Not many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Agreed.  And since Collins is much more effective at the 5, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a near 50/50 time share between the two, and not out of the realm of possibility Collins moves ahead of Whiteside.

 

5 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

I think you are overreacting. It will not be 30+ minutes, but I don't believe it will be lower than 25. I expect it around 27-28 and I believe this is enough. 

The problem with Zach at 5 is that they also have a huge gap at 4 and Zach will not play 48 minutes. 28 Whiteside and 20 between Pau and Zach is my estimation. Small ball they cannot play as there is nobody like Aminu as well to do it.

 

 

5 hours ago, kane said:

They still have Labissiere can play both 4 and 5

 

4 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

Yeah and Tolliver and Hoard. I might be wrong but I still don't see the issue. They are supposed to have a 15+2 roster. How many capable of quality minutes at the 5? Not many.

 

They have Bazemore, who is a possible small ball 4, as well as Mario.  Not ideal, but Baze has the length and 3 and D to fit there, with Collins at the 5.  Between playing the 4 and the 5, Collins will probably end up getting more minutes than Whiteside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a lot of managers are relegating Whiteside to the DND zone. At what ranking in roto would you draft him for pronounced need (blk/reb) and would you ever draft him for pure "value" if he fell far enough? Just looking to compare notes, I've got him a lot lower than some of the projection sets suggest he should be ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rando said:

Looks like a lot of managers are relegating Whiteside to the DND zone. At what ranking in roto would you draft him for pronounced need (blk/reb) and would you ever draft him for pure "value" if he fell far enough? Just looking to compare notes, I've got him a lot lower than some of the projection sets suggest he should be ranked.

I am high on him this season (probably higher than most). Frankly there is a lot to like if you are an optimist. He has bounce back written all over him. 

1) They are going to ride this dude into the ground as a one year replacement for Nurkic. As I blazers fan, I know what kind of defensive sets they prefer and Whiteside was a good of an option that could realistically be acquired on the open market. They have almost no viable C depth and I expect him to play 26-29 mins, which is more than enough playing time to be very valuable as a middle round big (esp in punt ft builds). 

2) He's in a contract year and we all know what that means. See Vooch last year (and others). Realistically, this is probably his last chance to earn a sizable contract of any term and dollars.  

3) He seems to be motivated to shine after a tough spell in the dog house in Miami (most of which was self earned). He's already stated he wants to lead the league in blocks and rebs and I like when players talk like that.

I'm taking the over on all of his counting stats. I conservatively think he'll average 14 PPG-14 RPG- 1 APG-0.8 STL-2.5 BLK-57% FGs-1.5 TOS 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.