kmoore1521

Hassan Whiteside 2019-2020 Outlook

I like him for a bounce back too but I just think he misses 15 or 16 games and averaging 12pt 9rb 1.2 blocks ,good fg% and empty everywhere else. 

15 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I am high on him this season (probably higher than most). Frankly there is a lot to like if you are an optimist. He has bounce back written all over him. 

1) They are going to ride this dude into the ground as a one year replacement for Nurkic. As I blazers fan, I know what kind of defensive sets they prefer and Whiteside was a good of an option that could realistically be acquired on the open market. They have almost no viable C depth and I expect him to play 26-29 mins, which is more than enough playing time to be very valuable as a middle round big (esp in punt ft builds). 

2) He's in a contract year and we all know what that means. See Vooch last year (and others). Realistically, this is probably his last chance to earn a sizable contract of any term and dollars.  

3) He seems to be motivated to shine after a tough spell in the dog house in Miami (most of which was self earned). He's already stated he wants to lead the league in blocks and rebs and I like when players talk like that.

I'm taking the over on all of his counting stats. I conservatively think he'll average 14 PPG-14 RPG- 1 APG-0.8 STL-2.5 BLK-57% FGs-1.5 TOS 

Daaaaang.  Hey, I do agree with Whiteside being basically a PERFECT fit with the Blazers, as a rim-running big who basically needs to board, block shots, and tip-dunk any miss from CJM/Dame (or alley-oop their passes), and since Collins shoots treys, he can play alongside the latter as well.  But 14 RPG and 2.5 blks ... that might be quite a feat.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong since I also anticipated a bounce-back year and drafted him myself in a semi-punt FT build too.

I think one problem is FT% (obviously not a problem if you're punting), given 41% is REALLY bad.  But the real problem is health.  If, as you say, they're going to "run him into the ground", I'd be worried about him not getting through 60 games, especially given his history there.  The second is attitude.  Spol might be a mad scientist for unorthodox rotations and should've played Whiteside more, but I also think Whiteside looked so careless and bored out there (when he was) with the Heat.  Sure, he might be more ready to play this year on a new team, but I'd be concerned about him becoming another D12.

• Like 3

He was complaining about not getting that many touches in Miami and lack of playing time. He’ll get even less touches with McCollum and Dame and be around the same amount of minutes because (Again!) another C behind him can shoot the 3 (Zach Collins).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rainsford said:

I like him for a bounce back too but I just think he misses 15 or 16 games and averaging 12pt 9rb 1.2 blocks ,good fg% and empty everywhere else. 

how do you get 1.2 blocks? Even last year in the dog house in miami he averaged 1.9 in 23 mins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainsford said:

Freezing Cold Take imo haha

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

He was complaining about not getting that many touches in Miami and lack of playing time. He’ll get even less touches with McCollum and Dame and be around the same amount of minutes because (Again!) another C behind him can shoot the 3 (Zach Collins).

Who did Miami have leadership wise? Were the Heat actually contenders? the answers are Zero and No

Portland has a great leader in Dame and great culture established and championship aspirations, comparing apples to oranges in the situations

Dame will not let Whiteside pull his antics and with Dame and CJ leading the team, i fully expect Whiteside to buy in

I'm buying in most leagues and even more now that im seeing the value you can get with some takes on this guy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Who did Miami have leadership wise? Were the Heat actually contenders? the answers are Zero and No

Portland has a great leader in Dame and great culture established and championship aspirations, comparing apples to oranges in the situations

Dame will not let Whiteside pull his antics and with Dame and CJ leading the team, i fully expect Whiteside to buy in

I'm buying in most leagues and even more now that im seeing the value you can get with some takes on this guy

it doesn't matter who the leaders of the team are, he will never buy in to getting under 30 minutes a night or sitting during crunch time.  especially since this is a contract year for him. He will feel like he is being held back from big money and there will be problems.

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

I guess Dwayne Wade and Udonis Haslem are not leaders.

3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

how do you get 1.2 blocks? Even last year in the dog house in miami he averaged 1.9 in 23 mins. 

His blocks been going down year by year.  I'm just going with the trend. You think he will be closer to my 1.2 or your 2.5 ?  As a Whiteside owner I would be happy if you are right but I don't see it happening 

Just now, Rainsford said:

His blocks been going down year by year.  I'm just going with the trend. You think he will be closer to my 1.2 or your 2.5 ?  As a Whiteside owner I would be happy if you are right but I don't see it happening 

Blocks have been tied to mins. If you think hes going down to 1.2 blocks you must think hes going to play 19 mins

This line is the last time he got over 30mpg: 17/14 with 2.1 blocks, .7 steals.  56%/63% with 2 TO.  I think the Blazers will play Collins more than people think and Whiteside will see around 28 mpg.  So maybe 14/12 with 2 blocks, .7 steals.  That would put him around Capela territory for counting stats.  However, in non-punt builds he will absolutely murder your FT%.  I think he's going to end up a 2nd rounder in punt FT%.  Otherwise, it's one of those situations in which its difficult to analyze his value.  I've seen people draft him in roto in non-punt builds.  Ok, so you're automatically signing up for 1-2 points in FT%.  Most people who draft him are hoping he can get that back up to his career levels.  Not to mention he's a 3 cat guy, no statistical diversity.  He's like Adams.  2nd round pick if you're punting FT%...but a real drag if you're not...but if you are punting FT% you likely already have your bigs.  There's a wide range of possible value and outcomes for the guy so he entails quite a bit of risk.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I guess Dwayne Wade and Udonis Haslem are not leaders.

Wade's Farewell Tour on a Team with no aspirations to win but rather give Wade a good sendoff and you think Wade was all in trying to motivate guys to win a title? Cmon now bruh and Wade was sitting out a ton etc and you think THAT made guys motivated? knowing your HOF guy is on his last season getting DNP's? While barely making the Eastern Playoffs? no shot.....next

Haslem who played in 10 Total games last year? averaging 2 points? him and wade are supposed to motivate a team with little to no talent? this feels like a giant reach on your part

Comparing Dame and CJ leadership to Wades and Haslem last year is just not even worth discussing honestly hah Wade Retiring, Dame said he wants to bring a Title to Portland, same situation tho right for leadership? nah fam.....moving on

13 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Wade's Farewell Tour on a Team with no aspirations to win but rather give Wade a good sendoff and you think Wade was all in trying to motivate guys to win a title? Cmon now bruh and Wade was sitting out a ton etc and you think THAT made guys motivated? knowing your HOF guy is on his last season getting DNP's? While barely making the Eastern Playoffs? no shot.....next

Haslem who played in 10 Total games last year? averaging 2 points? him and wade are supposed to motivate a team with little to no talent? this feels like a giant reach on your part

Comparing Dame and CJ leadership to Wades and Haslem last year is just not even worth discussing honestly hah Wade Retiring, Dame said he wants to bring a Title to Portland, same situation tho right for leadership? nah fam.....moving on

Hassan played with Wade for 3 years. So he was on retirement tour for 3 years. What does playing have to do with being a leader. So Udonis having been with the organization his whole year and more than likely will have/ ha a comfortable job lined up with the Miami Heat and is a well respected player is not consider a leader to Heat fans and players? If Whiteside can’t respect a HOF player in Wade who has won 3 championships and Udonis Haslem, then CJ and Dame ain’t going to help him either cause what do they know how to be a leader of? 

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Hassan played with Wade for 3 years. So he was on retirement tour for 3 years. What does playing have to do with being a leader. So Udonis having been with the organization his whole year and more than likely will have/ ha a comfortable job lined up with the Miami Heat and is a well respected player is not consider a leader to Heat fans and players? If Whiteside can’t respect a HOF player in Wade who has won 3 championships and Udonis Haslem, then CJ and Dame ain’t going to help him either cause what do they know how to be a leader of? 

This is going right over your head man, Team situation has a lot to do with "Leadership" your looking at it as a black and white thing when it is not in this case

Previous years sure Wade was still competing etc and im just going to ignore Haslem hes been irrelevant for a while, and in those years whiteside did fine

Last year, Miami had zero aspirations for anything outside of sending Wade off, so who was actually all in on winning games? keeping guys accountable? motivated in practice to get better? etc etc etc because now in Portland that is going to change, guys will be on his a$$ or he just simply wont play, which he knows and if he wants another contract getting benched isnt exactly a smart move on his part so he doesnt have a choice but to bow down to Dame

Yes Wade is a good leader, when he has something to play for, last year he did not nor did anyone of the Heat, now in Portland, the team has expectations and Whiteside is self motivated being in a contract year

Most attribute his down year last year to motivation, doghouse, intensity, etc as before then he was fine, and moving to a contending Portland from a Heat team with no drive to win, get players better, hold guys accountable etc and with a retiring star, im not sure how anyone can disagree the leadership aspect of Whitesides teammates is drastically different now from last year, why would Wade be on guys to get better and win games and stay focused in his final year on a team he knows is going nowhere? now insert Dame Time on Portland and you should clearly see my point

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

This line is the last time he got over 30mpg: 17/14 with 2.1 blocks, .7 steals.  56%/63% with 2 TO.  I think the Blazers will play Collins more than people think and Whiteside will see around 28 mpg.  So maybe 14/12 with 2 blocks, .7 steals.  That would put him around Capela territory for counting stats.  However, in non-punt builds he will absolutely murder your FT%.  I think he's going to end up a 2nd rounder in punt FT%.  Otherwise, it's one of those situations in which its difficult to analyze his value.  I've seen people draft him in roto in non-punt builds.  Ok, so you're automatically signing up for 1-2 points in FT%.  Most people who draft him are hoping he can get that back up to his career levels.  Not to mention he's a 3 cat guy, no statistical diversity.  He's like Adams.  2nd round pick if you're punting FT%...but a real drag if you're not...but if you are punting FT% you likely already have your bigs.  There's a wide range of possible value and outcomes for the guy so he entails quite a bit of risk.

Great post. Well done. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

a Heat team with no drive to win, get players better, hold guys accountable etc

Excuse me?

Just now, Trench Mob said:

Excuse me?

Sorry man, team was a lost cause last year hence why their trying to completely overhaul the roster, theyre professionals obv but lets be real, they knew they didnt have a shot and with a headcase like Whiteside, thats huge for his production 

39-43 in the East isnt motivating Whiteside who already has questionable work ethic 

6 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Sorry man, team was a lost cause last year hence why their trying to completely overhaul the roster, theyre professionals obv but lets be real, they knew they didnt have a shot and with a headcase like Whiteside, thats huge for his production 

39-43 in the East isnt motivating Whiteside who already has questionable work ethic 

It's not our fault Whiteside's p*ssy has gotten soft lol. Hopefully the Blazers can give him a pat on the back and a lollipop reward for trying hard.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Haha 1

I get what kmoore is trying to say. A bit dramatic, but i get it 😂 Theres no need to question a team’s desire to win. But Hassan is in a better team now with a legitimate shot at a long playoff run. If he wants to get a hefty new contract, he has to mature and ball out. Big reason why I drafted him is because its a contract year and he has every selfish reason to play better.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, boytoy said:

I get what kmoore is trying to say. A bit dramatic, but i get it 😂 Theres no need to question a team’s desire to win. But Hassan is in a better team now with a legitimate shot at a long playoff run. If he wants to get a hefty new contract, he has to mature and ball out. Big reason why I drafted him is because its a contract year and he has every selfish reason to play better.

Image result for who me.gif

always gotta add a lil theatrics to it 😎😂🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

In h2h what's the point? He will be injured or replaced by nurkik come playoff time and you won't be able to make up those rbs and blks, basically guaranteeing you lose when it matters. Top 20 per game potential but will likely crush your playoff Hope's. Saw him go for $10, stash nurkik on IL with him and you might have a shot. 

4 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

In h2h what's the point? He will be injured or replaced by nurkik come playoff time and you won't be able to make up those rbs and blks, basically guaranteeing you lose when it matters. Top 20 per game potential but will likely crush your playoff Hope's. Saw him go for $10, stash nurkik on IL with him and you might have a shot. 

Nurk's leg broke in half no? recall how long it took Gordon Hayward to even remotely look decent again?

Whiteside has probably 85+% of the season to establish himself and assuming he does no chance they give Nurkic a ton of minutes off that injury with Whiteside being a force on defense (i assume but we shall see, like i said dude has almost the entire season to earn his Role for when Nurk is back) and odds are he wont be ready anyway after seeing how guys return from these gruesome injuries 

only concern i have with Whiteside is health, FT% returning closer to career norm, and conditioning/mental state, everything else i wouldnt be worried with as a whiteside owner 

EDIT: and id say in h2h hes pretty darn useful for blocks and rebs ala mitch rob myles turner types

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Nurk's leg broke in half no? recall how long it took Gordon Hayward to even remotely look decent again?

Whiteside has probably 85+% of the season to establish himself and assuming he does no chance they give Nurkic a ton of minutes off that injury with Whiteside being a force on defense (i assume but we shall see, like i said dude has almost the entire season to earn his Role for when Nurk is back) and odds are he wont be ready anyway after seeing how guys return from these gruesome injuries 

only concern i have with Whiteside is health, FT% returning closer to career norm, and conditioning/mental state, everything else i wouldnt be worried with as a whiteside owner 

EDIT: and id say in h2h hes pretty darn useful for blocks and rebs ala mitch rob myles turner types

Well health is the main factor. Hes already having ankle problems preseason. He wont be healthy by the time fantasy playoffs arrive if they ride him all year long. As least that's what I think. You have to rely so heavily on his blks and rbs and if he isn't healthy and if nurk comes back healthy you're done... also thing about nurk is POR gets some sort of $ discount in the millions if nurkik doesn't play before January and POR is being very quiet about his progress I think for that reason. I think the chances we see nurkik taking hassan's minutes away during fantasy playoffs are higher than expected. Players were saying he was progressing well months ago. It's less nurkik coming back and more that whiteside cant stay healthy and you are relying 2 entire categories and your entire season on him staying healthy for playoffs since you would likely feel content with his 14 rbs and 2.5 blks during the season. You cant make up for that during playoffs. If you can flip him mid season, enjoy! If not, I wont let his health determine 2 of my categories in playoffs. 

Just now, johnval1362 said:

Well health is the main factor. Hes already having ankle problems preseason. He wont be healthy by the time fantasy playoffs arrive if they ride him all year long. As least that's what I think. You have to rely so heavily on his blks and rbs and if he isn't healthy and if nurk comes back healthy you're done... also thing about nurk is POR gets some sort of $ discount in the millions if nurkik doesn't play before January and POR is being very quiet about his progress I think for that reason. I think the chances we see nurkik taking hassan's minutes away during fantasy playoffs are higher than expected. Players were saying he was progressing well months ago. It's less nurkik coming back and more that whiteside cant stay healthy and you are relying 2 entire categories and your entire season on him staying healthy for playoffs since you would likely feel content with his 14 rbs and 2.5 blks during the season. You cant make up for that during playoffs. If you can flip him mid season, enjoy! If not, I wont let his health determine 2 of my categories in playoffs. 

Fair enough, i disagree on the Nurkic aspect but the health of ole Whitehole is def one to keep an eye on

• Like 1

when healthy, it doesn't matter if he gets 20mins or 25mins. he'll give you boards and blocks. and i think that's the reason why people are drafting him.

So many small injuries... hopefully he holds up in the regular season. He surprisingly played 72 games last season so that's always a good sign.