kane

Derrick Favors 2019-2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, gladiator888 said:

I don't know why people are so high on him either. 

Some of us have reasonings other than "he's hella slow", there's a ton of reasons actually in this thread.

Laker Boys have never played with Jrue, Jrue has never played with Favors, Favors has never played with Laker boys, Zion out threw a wrench into their plans, Favors still not healthy apparently.

I'm not "high" on him, but I don't think Okafor and Melli can protect the rim either.

FG% anchor, decent shotblocker, above avg reb, doesn't completely kill your ft%, decent stl's for a big, all of this in 20ish minutes.

But yeah, even I tend to overlook all of that and get really emotional when I read Pelican game threads, because the only thing I see is "he's hella slow", "he's washed up".

• Like 2

I'm a believer in Favors...when he's healthy. Bad start to the year w/ hamstring and knee, and they're likely connected to some degree. I'm getting flashbacks to his knee issues in 2017. I'm holding because I would love to see how he'd perform if he was sufficiently healthy and conditioned.

Didn't practice again (2 days straight). Really bad start to the season.

Lmao. I guess BBM didn't had a tool to foresee these events.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:19 PM, SkalChriston said:

Some of us have reasonings other than "he's hella slow", there's a ton of reasons actually in this thread.

Laker Boys have never played with Jrue, Jrue has never played with Favors, Favors has never played with Laker boys, Zion out threw a wrench into their plans, Favors still not healthy apparently.

I'm not "high" on him, but I don't think Okafor and Melli can protect the rim either.

FG% anchor, decent shotblocker, above avg reb, doesn't completely kill your ft%, decent stl's for a big, all of this in 20ish minutes.

But yeah, even I tend to overlook all of that and get really emotional when I read Pelican game threads, because the only thing I see is "he's hella slow", "he's washed up".

This is a good post and touches on most of the things. 

The upside to Favors is that he was a beast when he got center minutes or when Gobert was out. He was miscast as a stretch 4 in Utah and that isn't his game...or it isn't the way he is best used from a fantasy perspective. Look at the 17-18 game logs when Gobert was out and Favors numbers really pop. Then you insert him at the 5 in an uptempo, fantasy friendly system and it isn't hard to see the upside. BUT, he isn't healthy and he needs to get healthy to have any chance of being that guy. Maybe he won't be healthy ever. Maybe he is over the hill. But if that 2017-18 health/physical version of Favors appears his numbers are going to pop. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fantasm said:

is jaxson the pickup?

He is probably the most fantasy friendly of all the options. Who knows if he is able to carve out consistent minutes, but if you can take a flyer I would.

• Thanks 1

Hes sitting in the free agent pool right now and no one has grabbed him, neither will I. He doesn't fit with the pelicans and his value will only go down when Zion returns. The fastest paced team in the NBA with a slow PF/C just doesn't work. That being said, not sure if they will have a better option at C even when Zion returns so it's a tough call, but I'd say he is not worth the risk unless a deep league. I think you're better off waiting for him to play well (if he does) and return from injury then try to beat the pack to it. But holding him or stashing him right now, in my opinion, seems like a terrible idea. 

19 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Hes sitting in the free agent pool right now and no one has grabbed him, neither will I. He doesn't fit with the pelicans and his value will only go down when Zion returns. The fastest paced team in the NBA with a slow PF/C just doesn't work. That being said, not sure if they will have a better option at C even when Zion returns so it's a tough call, but I'd say he is not worth the risk unless a deep league. I think you're better off waiting for him to play well (if he does) and return from injury then try to beat the pack to it. But holding him or stashing him right now, in my opinion, seems like a terrible idea. 

1 hour ago, josheggers said:

Dropped in one of my leagues. Easy pickup? Or hard to hold at this point

Out of curiosity, who was he dropped for in those leagues? Willie Cauley Stein? Bobby Portis? Richaun Holmes?

3 minutes ago, SirMixalot said:

Out of curiosity, who was he dropped for in those leagues? Willie Cauley Stein? Bobby Portis? Richaun Holmes?

Olynyk for some odd reason in mine lol. 12 teamer

I'm holding since the league I'm in where he's drafted I'm getting smashed anyway, maybe if Hayes starts I might pick him up for the upside...

23 minutes ago, SirMixalot said:

J Harris, then some fool dropped Utah Bog and he had higher waiver priority and got Bog out of it. Win for that dude. 

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

This is a good post and touches on most of the things. 

The upside to Favors is that he was a beast when he got center minutes or when Gobert was out. He was miscast as a stretch 4 in Utah and that isn't his game...or it isn't the way he is best used from a fantasy perspective. Look at the 17-18 game logs when Gobert was out and Favors numbers really pop. Then you insert him at the 5 in an uptempo, fantasy friendly system and it isn't hard to see the upside. BUT, he isn't healthy and he needs to get healthy to have any chance of being that guy. Maybe he won't be healthy ever. Maybe he is over the hill. But if that 2017-18 health/physical version of Favors appears his numbers are going to pop. 

He was also beast mode in the 2nd half of last year in limited minutes mostly at the 4.  Like, the uber athleticism was back, he was killing.  He's obviously still hurt, I saw him miss a bunch of blocks and rebounds, but just barely...I think if he were healthy he could've at least blocked 3-4 extra shots and grabbed a few more boards in the games he's played so far...

This is an annoying hold in my 14 teamer. I could really use that Inj tag since he’s doubtful for the 3rd straight game

• Like 1

Nah, its early, definitely not dropping in my 14 man league...