tonycpsu

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 5

tonycpsu

NFL Waiver Wire Thread 2019 Week 5

This thread is for offering suggested waiver wire pickups for week 5 of the 2019 NFL season.

It is not for the following:

Comments that fall into one of these categories or are otherwise not on topic for this thread will be removed.

Some discussion of waiver suggestions is allowed, but this is not the place for an extended debate on the merits of any particular player. Take these in-depth discussions over to the outlook threads for the individual player(s) in question.

Message added by tonycpsu

Posted (edited)

Hunter Henry isn't on IR. He will not play in week 5. He would be worth a bench spot. 

Edited by weakkneeswilly

If you’re in a deep league and looking ahead to week 6 and need a bye week fill in, give Danny Amendola a look in PPR. Hockenson getting injured means Amendola will get all of the targets in the middle of the field.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, checkers said:

Pats kicker

Edited by smeeze

Nugent probably a good pickup.

But...if he misses a kick or two, I wouldn't be surprised if they just went to the next guy.

Before everyone goes to rush to add Mike Nugent, realize that Gostowski was only the #12 kicker so far this year.  I feel like he's always one of the top 3 kickers drafted, but a lot of times just based on reputation and name recognition.  Wasn't Nugent injured recently?  He's played 11 games in the last two years for the Bears, Cowboys, and Raiders.  If he sucks, you know that he's going to be replaced by some Younghoe immediately.

Time to give Dante Pettis another shot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Before everyone goes to rush to add Mike Nugent, realize that Gostowski was only the #12 kicker so far this year.  I feel like he's always one of the top 3 kickers drafted, but a lot of times just based on reputation and name recognition.  Wasn't Nugent injured recently?  He's played 11 games in the last two years for the Bears, Cowboys, and Raiders.  If he sucks, you know that he's going to be replaced by some Younghoe immediately.

Time to give Dante Pettis another shot.

Nugent is still a great play this week, and possibly season long. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

Nugent is still a great play this week, and possibly season long. 

I agree.

Don't really think you can look at just this season....Look at the past 3-5 years.  The Pats kicker has always been basically a lock for top 10 production.

The play weak teams most of the year and have a great defense.  No reason they won't be kicking plenty of FG's.

Nugent has been pretty solid over his career and was perfect on FG's last year before his injury.  He seems like as good of a bet as any of the other kickers that are on waivers in most leagues.  And if he falters, then you just pick up one of those other kickers later.

I'd rather take the risk with Nugent and the Pats offense over like Matt Gay, Zane Gonzalez, Josh Lambo, etc, etc.

Edited by tts42572

5 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree.

Don't really think you can look at just this season....Look at the past 3-5 years.  The Pats kicker has always been basically a lock for top 10 production.

The play weak teams most of the year and have a great defense.  No reason they won't be kicking plenty of FG's.

Nugent has been pretty solid over his career and was perfect on FG's last year before his injury.  He seems like as good of a bet as any of the other kickers that are on waivers in most leagues.  And if he falters, then you just pick up one of those other kickers later.

I'd rather take the risk with Nugent and the Pats offense over like Matt Gay, Zane Gonzalez, Josh Lambo, etc, etc.

I know that we're not supposed to debate the merits of a player here, as it should go into his player thread.  But typically no player threads for most kickers, because, well, they're kickers.

But something to keep in mind, he doesn't have a big leg.  Only 13 for 30 on 50+ yarders in his career.  5 for 12 in the last 5 seasons combined.  I feel like Gay will get you 5 50 yarders this season easily.  A 50 burger is almost as good as a TD and I like having that upside.  Kicker without a big leg = not being given the opportunity to even attempt the 50 yard = no chance for points.  Not my cup of tea.

• Like 6

I don’t know if he’s been mentioned but I’m going to endorse Deebo Samuel. Everything I have seen and digested about him screams STUD. After considering the jags in SF he seems like the 2nd best option behind Kittle. He also got some seriously high praise from Jerry the GOAT.  I’m loaded at RB and just dropped Gallman for him. Barkley coming back and the NJG schedule is tough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I don’t know if he’s been mentioned but I’m going to endorse Deebo Samuel. Everything I have seen and digested about him screams STUD. After considering the jags in SF he seems like the 2nd best option behind Kittle. He also got some seriously high praise from Jerry the GOAT.  I’m loaded at RB and just dropped Gallman for him. Barkley coming back and the NJG schedule is tough. 

I should have prefaced I’m not starting him this week but I hope he show out and gives me the courage to start him over more proven but unspectacular players in the coming weeks.

Edited by Krambone

It might not be a bad idea to add Malcolm Brown ahead of tonight's game if he's still available in your league.  If he doesn't do anything, you can just cut him for someone else playing on Sunday or Monday.  I always like to take advantage of the Thursday game loophole.

15 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

It might not be a bad idea to add Malcolm Brown ahead of tonight's game if he's still available in your league.  If he doesn't do anything, you can just cut him for someone else playing on Sunday or Monday.  I always like to take advantage of the Thursday game loophole.

Seems to me like we're on the same train sir . 

16 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I really doubt he's available pretty much anywhere.

Darrell Henderson, on the other hand...

Pretty much the same idea, right? If Gurley gets hurt, jackpot. If he doesn't you're dropping him. Brown has more standalone value but I think they're both pretty similar values if Gurley goes down, and that's all you're grabbing them for here.

• Like 1

Diontae Johnson. This is gonna be the week it goes one way or the other.

1 hour ago, itschief33 said:

Diontae Johnson. This is gonna be the week it goes one way or the other.

It’s gone the one way twice in a row - if it goes the other way, don’t start him.

31 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It’s gone the one way twice in a row - if it goes the other way, don’t start him.

I meant all out scramble to pickup or all out drop by the few teams rostering him currently. And Juju is hurting. Gosh that ambiguity hurt my head.

Crowder , Curtis Samuel - check  your wires.. both are worth picking up 

18 targets in the last two games 

i think Everett finally breaking out. He was mcvay first draft choice. Finally getting the usage he needs. I’m willing to use my top waiver after seeing his run after catch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOF12 said:

18 targets in the last two games 

i think Everett finally breaking out. He was mcvay first draft choice. Finally getting the usage he needs. I’m willing to use my top waiver after seeing his run after catch. 

Their base package is still going to be 11 personnel if Cooks is healthy and Higbee is a better blocker.

Don't go nuts is all I'm saying.  There will still be boom/bust weeks like virtually every other TE.