Stallion

Markelle Fultz 2019-2020 Outlook

Clifford is hinting that he has a shot as a starter, and from the few video clips I've seen of him, his shot looks far better than it did.

I'm not touching in redrafts short of maybe a last round flier, but for dynasties, I think he's a fantastic buy-low player.

• Like 1

Even without a jumpshot he wasn't unplayable when he was out on the floor in previous years. Don't remember which of the fantasy podcasts it was that I was listening to, but they mentioned that his floor is Elfrid Payton - decent ballhandling and vision, not a good jumpshot, good defensive timing and a good rebounder. Better finisher.

If his floor really is Elfrid Payton he should have some value. Don't forget Fultz was the youngest to put up a trip-dub in NBA history iirc, so even if he'll never be an all-star he's proven he can do some things on the court. Probably waiting to hear a bit more before I'm sold tho.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stallion said:

I'm not touching in redrafts short of maybe a last round flier, but for dynasties, I think he's a fantastic buy-low player.

The OP is a threadkiller because it's dead-on accurate. It's a sure thing in my league that some optimistic GM is going to take him three rounds before where I rank him, if not sooner. I don't like playing that kind of lottery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stallion said:

.....but for dynasties, I think he's a fantastic buy-low player.

Definitely. U can buy him really cheap, nothing to lose. Kid is talented and has serious upside if he can get over his shoulder issues.

• Like 1

Not in TOP200 at redraft leagues, only consider at deep league (20 teams).

1 hour ago, apatas said:

Not in TOP200 at redraft leagues, only consider at deep league (20 teams).

So you would rather have Shumpert  (ranked 196th), Torrey Craig (197) and similar players with zero upside? 

Fultz was consensus top 3 pick in 2017 draft.   If he gets it together, his ceiling could be very high.  Worth  taking a gamble after  160th pick imo

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

So you would rather have Shumpert  (ranked 196th), Torrey Craig (197) and similar players with zero upside? 

Fultz was consensus top 3 pick in 2017 draft.   If he gets it together, his ceiling could be very high.  Worth  taking a gamble after  160th pick imo

What I can do? Markelle Fultz is 265th in my prerank. It means not in TOP 200. Players what you mentioned (Craig and Shumpert) are not ranked at all. They are just outside any ranking. I can here list who are the players near 160th pick: Terrence Ross, Eric Gordon, Wesley Matthews, Danny Green, Jae Crowder, Collin Sexton, Jeff Green, Norman Powell etc. Are they not better than Fultz?

11 minutes ago, apatas said:

What I can do? Markelle Fultz is 265th in my prerank. It means not in TOP 200. Players what you mentioned (Craig and Shumpert) are not ranked at all. They are just outside any ranking. I can here list who are the players near 160th pick: Terrence Ross, Eric Gordon, Wesley Matthews, Danny Green, Jae Crowder, Collin Sexton, Jeff Green, Norman Powell etc. Are they not better than Fultz?

They have been better but Fultz has way more upside than any of those guys. I think it’s definitely worth the risk for a last spot.

3 minutes ago, Bluo said:

They have been better but Fultz has way more upside than any of those guys. I think it’s definitely worth the risk for a last spot.

OK, it's true that last spot is always worth the risk. But who? I will not risk with player which is ranked 265th. Again I can name a players who are worth risk: Tyler Herro, Alex Caruso, Jordan Bell etc. They are all ahead of Fultz, who is just trash.

4 minutes ago, apatas said:

OK, it's true that last spot is always worth the risk. But who? I will not risk with player which is ranked 265th. Again I can name a players who are worth risk: Tyler Herro, Alex Caruso, Jordan Bell etc. They are all ahead of Fultz, who is just trash.

I guess we are both seeing a different player. Fultz can be a great defender, has good court vision and is strong to the basket. His shot is what is letting him down.

In that list, I like Tyler Herro and Bell as well if they are given the opportunity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, apatas said:

well, we will agree to disagree. I think that come February, Fultz  will be better than any of the players you mentioned.  

Unless your league has 12+ starters, what is the difference between  owning Fultz and Jae Crowder for example?  Neither one of them should be starting.

If they both get hot, who will be better player to own? 

I generally avoid high risk  picks in first 10 rounds.  Rounds 11+, I  prefer high risk, high reward picks. 

leagues are not won by picking Jeff Green in 12th round

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

well, we will agree to disagree. I think that come February, Fultz  will be better than any of the players you mentioned.  

Unless your league has 12+ starters, what is the difference between  owning Fultz and Jae Crowder for example?  Neither one of them should be starting.

I generally avoid high risk  picks in first 10 rounds.  Rounds 11+, I  prefer high risk, high reward picks. 

Image result for jeff green.gif

In all seriousness tho I shall probably be taking a flier on him with my last bench spot in auction while doing the Stars n Scrubs approach

Edited by kmoore1521

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

No, I agree here: this is absolutely true that 10 rounds are not for risky picks and then risk will start. But another thing is that in our league 5 changes during week is allowed. You can't have "too good" team, then you don't have anybody to drop and your rivals get every week additional games. At least 2 spots have to be just for drop/add. Last season I remember that some teams had after half season only 7 players from drafted team left. All others were dropped. They just use dropping for higher number of games. And that means if I draft Fultz, he also should be droppable. I rather have players who are good at the beginning of the season and if some other players step up later I can easily drop initial players. If I take Fultz only for hope that he is good for February, it is wasted spot.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, apatas said:

No, I agree here: this is absolutely true that 10 rounds are not for risky picks and then risk will start. But another thing is that in our league 5 changes during week is allowed. You can't have "too good" team, then you don't have anybody to drop and your rivals get every week additional games. At least 2 spots have to be just for drop/add. Last season I remember that some teams had after half season only 7 players from drafted team left. All others were dropped. They just use dropping for higher number of games. And that means if I draft Fultz, he also should be droppable. I rather have players who are good at the beginning of the season and if some other players step up later I can easily drop initial players. If I take Fultz only for hope that he is good for February, it is wasted spot.

True, number of games can  be a difference maker between winning and loosing. That is why I prefer to focus on categories that are not negatively impacted by number of  games: FG%, FT% and TOs.  Player like Siakam, Otto Porter, T.J. Warren, Aldridge,  Tobias  are perfect for this build.      You are already strong in 3 categories and assuming who do you get after first 5-6 rounds all you need to do is build strength in few  other categories. I usually end up in (semi) punt assists build, where  I am strong in 4-5 categories (FG%, FT%, TOs ,  REB, 3s), competitive in 2 out of 3 (pts, stl  and blks) and weak in ast and one other cat.

It gives me more flexibility to  hold onto a droppable  player longer and see what happens

If it matters all of his teammates are reporting he looks good in camp.  Idk if this sort of stuff gets out nationally.  I remember last year most people didn’t believe me when I said Vuc would be renewed if the Magic made the playoffs despite a local reporter point blank saying it.  Anyway idk if that changes things much.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  But this makes it worth a last round flyer imo.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Everybody looks good in training camp, I've never head someone say this player looked really bad. But yes I agree that Fultz is worth a round 12-14 pick. With those picks you can go withhigh upside, but be ready to drop for a hot FA

True.  Sort of.  PG13 has been reported to be behind initial recovery from injury.  I can remember others such as John Wall.  Generally, “muscle watch” training camp bull**** is exaggerated but I don’t think it’s meaningless nor do I think everyone is reported as looking good. 

5 hours ago, a-rob said:

Everybody looks good in training camp, I've never head someone say this player looked really bad. But yes I agree that Fultz is worth a round 12-14 pick. With those picks you can go withhigh upside, but be ready to drop for a hot FA

this.

I clearly remember Simmons and someone else (cant remember who) saying how Fultz was dominating training camp last year and everything came so easy for him. And we know how it went.

Definitely worth a flyer but don't get too excited, at least for now

6 hours ago, a-rob said:

Everybody looks good in training camp.

I read somewhere James Johnson failed the conditioning tests.
I mean - there's certainly more hype than "out of shape" news but once a while you can find them as well.

• Like 3

Music to my ears.

Hopefully my trade for Fultz   in dynasty works out or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Music to my ears.

Hopefully my trade for Fultz   in dynasty works out or not.

What did you trade for him? I got him last year, before preseason started, around late sept., when he was still a Sixer and Prince was still with Atlanta and ranked high in the preseason. I got him and then rookie MitchRob for Taurean Prince and Jordan Bell.

9 minutes ago, seeL said:

What did you trade for him? I got him last year, before preseason started, around late sept., when he was still a Sixer and Prince was still with Atlanta and ranked high in the preseason. I got him and then rookie MitchRob for Taurean Prince and Jordan Bell.

Jayden Brown (i dont think he will rech his potential with Celtics) and an extra 1st round pick from another trade for Fultz and OG  Anunoby 

Posted (edited)
On 10/5/2019 at 6:57 AM, Gile Pile said:

Jayden Brown (i dont think he will rech his potential with Celtics) and an extra 1st round pick from another trade for Fultz and OG  Anunoby 

A 1st looks too much for those two after the season they had. Brown is not good for fantasy either, but i think this is too much. I hope it works for you coz i like them both.

Edited by RipCity0

11 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

A 1st looks too much for those two after the season they had. Brown is not good for fantasy either, but i think this is too much. I hope it works for you coz i like them both.

In Boston,  with many mouths to feed Brown is at best 3rd option unless he gets traded. Better in real life than fantasy.

My team will not be able to compete this or next year (despite my wishful thinking), so it's all about potential and opportunity. Both OG and Fultz have a chance to show what they are capable of this year.  OG is big  part of Raptors future, so worth taking a risk. He had lots of personal and health issues (death of the parent, emergency appendectomy in April) so last season is no concern to me.

Fultz was #1 pick for a reason and Augustin is  not an All-Star.  I know it's a preseason but +-30 and 2 missed 3P are encouraging sign.

If one  of those two works out, I will be happy.   Time will tell

With Fultz actually playing now, all he needs are a couple good preseason games and he will hyped as a potential fantasy star again. Even if you don't believe in him I think he might be worth buying low if you can just in case you can resell him for more later.