Stallion

Markelle Fultz 2019-2020 Outlook

There were multiple games were, heading into the fourth, he had 9 3 3, or 11 3 3. This is all in limited minutes.. then he'd finish with those stats cause of the aforementioned ball hogs. If he gets 6-8 minutes in playing time and becomes more aggressive offensively i can see close to 15 ppg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stickman786 said:

There were multiple games were, heading into the fourth, he had 9 3 3, or 11 3 3. This is all in limited minutes.. then he'd finish with those stats cause of the aforementioned ball hogs. If he gets 6-8 minutes in playing time and becomes more aggressive offensively i can see close to 15 ppg.

fournier, Gordon, vuuuuc, and isaaac quite hard to account for a lot of touches when those guys get a lot of looks.. I picked him up and hope for a good stream week ☺

4 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

Being with a new team and having not played ball for so long I'm really hoping it's a matter of him starting to develop confidence and becoming more assertive.  I'm honestly happy with what he's shown so far given his circumstances and I hope he can live up to all the potential people saw in him.

7 minutes ago, Monkeyking69 said:

fournier, Gordon, vuuuuc, and isaaac quite hard to account for a lot of touches when those guys get a lot of looks.. I picked him up and hope for a good stream week ☺

Isaac doesn't ball hog that much. Vooch plays within the system as well. It really just fournier and gordon.. and to a certain extent Augustin. If his minutes increases it will cut into augustins playing time and maybe he can get some more looks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stickman786 said:

It's possible if they ran a few more plays for him. I just don't think Fultz have the most attractive skill-sets in today's game. His midrange pull up jumper isn't something they want to run a play for.

1 hour ago, Monkeyking69 said:

Don't forget Terrence Ross too. He's having a bad start to the season due to some knee tendinitis, but I think there's a chance he'll start putting up more shots like last season. His game resembles today's game as well. 

Overall, I think Fultz can hit 15ppg if he starts hitting 3s. That's the missing part of his offensive game, and I don't think Orlando is at fault for not running more sets for Fultz to score. I hope they put more focus on him to run the actual plays for others though and his assist numbers can go up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

It's possible if they ran a few more plays for him. I just don't think Fultz have the most attractive skill-sets in today's game. His midrange pull up jumper isn't something they want to run a play for.

Don't forget Terrence Ross too. He's having a bad start to the season due to some knee tendinitis, but I think there's a chance he'll start putting up more shots like last season. His game resembles today's game as well. 

Overall, I think Fultz can hit 15ppg if he starts hitting 3s. That's the missing part of his offensive game, and I don't think Orlando is at fault for not running more sets for Fultz to score. I hope they put more focus on him to run the actual plays for others though and his assist numbers can go up.

honestly that's what I'm really looking for his the consistency with the assist for this fella! I'll have to watch the Orlando game this week to analyze how his playstyle and rotation will allow fultz to progress.. I enjoy owning OG, but don't enjoy watching a player just run to the wings on every play. I rather the ball rotation goes through them which is why I think Wiggins has been excelling this year. 

Apparently Clifford has come out saying that the Magic plan to up Fultz's minutes. Going to grab him as a speculative play anywhere where I have a low ceiling guard to cut.

53 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Having his best game of the season tonight and it looks like he's on track to play 30 min. 

Finished with 21. Did he feature at all in the second half?

57 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

He did. I'm not sure what he was talking about. He wasn't having his best game of the season nor was his mins more than usual. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brickcitymamba said:

8 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

He did. I'm not sure what he was talking about. He wasn't having his best game of the season nor was his mins more than usual. 

My bad I just looked at the box score. But he had played like 18 min at the ~8 minute mark in the third quarter.

While I was tracking the box score, it seemed like they didn't play him as much as they could have bc they were up big.

as a Magic fan, dont think its happening anytime soon, maybe later this year but in 12 team leagues id drop for hot WW adds and injury replacements etc.and just keep an eye on him

i just dont think they will actually give him full run, all coach speak IMO, will cap him at most 25 mins and thats best case and without 3's and minimal scoring, that spot is better off being streamed for hot WW guys

12 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

as a Magic fan, dont think its happening anytime soon, maybe later this year but in 12 team leagues id drop for hot WW adds and injury replacements etc.and just keep an eye on him

i just dont think they will actually give him full run, all coach speak IMO, will cap him at most 25 mins and thats best case and without 3's and minimal scoring, that spot is better off being streamed for hot WW guys

Huh.  Just wondering what insight you have as a fan of the team that would lead to this conclusion.  I guarantee you follow them much more closely than us non fans, but I'm just wondering why you think the talk of his minutes getting ramped up soon is nonsense.

The last thing I want to do is drop him then see not only his numbers but his numbers per minute go up as he starts getting more into a rhythm from extended minutes.  Maybe I'm just over optimistic in dreaming about upside that may never come.

I will say that I didn't like how I saw him used in the game I saw a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem very conducive to statistical production.  Bring the ball up the floor, hand it off and get out of the way.  Didn't seem like he was being used to facilitate at all, and as someone who doesn't watch their games I don't know how much that's changed (judging by the stats I'd say not much, so I'm maybe I'm inclined to agree with you that the numbers may not be there anytime soon).

10 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Huh.  Just wondering what insight you have as a fan of the team that would lead to this conclusion.  I guarantee you follow them much more closely than us non fans, but I'm just wondering why you think the talk of his minutes getting ramped up soon is nonsense.

The last thing I want to do is drop him then see not only his numbers but his numbers per minute go up as he starts getting more into a rhythm from extended minutes.  Maybe I'm just over optimistic in dreaming about upside that may never come.

I will say that I didn't like how I saw him used in the game I saw a few weeks ago and it doesn't seem very conducive to statistical production.  Bring the ball up the floor, hand it off and get out of the way.  Didn't seem like he was being used to facilitate at all, and as someone who doesn't watch their games I don't know how much that's changed (judging by the stats I'd say not much, so I'm maybe I'm inclined to agree with you that the numbers may not be there anytime soon).

Yep, Gordon and Fourn are Ball Hog Chuckers, for some reason they feel the need to give DJA minutes, he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA are ahead of him for shots, assists he only gets in transition and the rare time he has the ball enough to drive into the paint and find open guys (which they need to give him the ball way more so im annoyed with that)

he def has upside if given full run i just dont see it, and the fact that because DJA was having a solid game last night he played more than Fultz directly after the coach speak comments i was referencing, makes me say you can drop in 12 teamers and still get him back later if he ends up becoming anything, i dropped in mine

EDIT: and as someone else alluded to, he actually had a nice line at halftime, so no idea why he wasnt given much run in the 2nd half, which further makes me think him getting more minutes was coach speak, and with Fultz history and Yips etc being mental headcase at times etc etc all the mental stuff that goes into this weird career hes had, also makes me think its coach speak to help build Fultz confidence while not actually giving him full run to protect him from failing his first full season, whole situation is a mess and have to take anything said by the coaching staff with a huge grain of salt

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yep, Gordon and Fourn are Ball Hog Chuckers, for some reason they feel the need to give DJA minutes, he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA are ahead of him for shots, assists he only gets in transition and the rare time he has the ball enough to drive into the paint and find open guys (which they need to give him the ball way more so im annoyed with that)

he def has upside if given full run i just dont see it, and the fact that because DJA was having a solid game last night he played more than Fultz directly after the coach speak comments i was referencing, makes me say you can drop in 12 teamers and still get him back later if he ends up becoming anything, i dropped in mine

EDIT: and as someone else alluded to, he actually had a nice line at halftime, so no idea why he wasnt given much run in the 2nd half, which further makes me think him getting more minutes was coach speak, and with Fultz history and Yips etc being mental headcase at times etc etc all the mental stuff that goes into this weird career hes had, also makes me think its coach speak to help build Fultz confidence while not actually giving him full run to protect him from failing his first full season, whole situation is a mess and have to take anything said by the coaching staff with a huge grain of salt

I'm all for giving minutes to Fultz and letting him run the offense more, but I'm going to be honest and admit that it's for the benefit of my fantasy team. I don't think he's going to make Orlando much better if any better with 30+ mins a game. Perhaps the only reason they should play him more minutes is to develop him, but his offensive game is extremely limited right now. I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again, he cannot shoot 3s. You can say that his teammates ball hogging is a factor to his lack of 3pt makes per game, but at least they make it at a much higher rate than him. He could bring his 3 pt makes to 1 a game if he wasn't shooting under 20%. His signature move is a mid range pull jumper that does not fit today's game and the best part of his game is his steals. 

Fultz can be a breakout candidate later in the season, but so can 80% of the league if given usage. There should be more talk on how he can be more fantasy relevant if he expanded his offensive game instead of pointing our fingers at his teammates and coach. He's not Ja Morant who actually deserves more minutes.

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose

29 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

I'm all for giving minutes to Fultz and letting him run the offense more, but I'm going to be honest and admit that it's for the benefit of my fantasy team. I don't think he's going to make Orlando much better if any better with 30+ mins a game. Perhaps the only reason they should play him more minutes is to develop him, but his offensive game is extremely limited right now. I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again, he cannot shoot 3s. You can say that his teammates ball hogging is a factor to his lack of 3pt makes per game, but at least they make it at a much higher rate than him. He could bring his 3 pt makes to 1 a game if he wasn't shooting under 20%. His signature move is a mid range pull jumper that does not fit today's game and the best part of his game is his steals. 

Fultz can be a breakout candidate later in the season, but so can 80% of the league if given usage. There should be more talk on how he can be more fantasy relevant if he expanded his offensive game instead of pointing our fingers at his teammates and coach. He's not Ja Morant who actually deserves more minutes.

1.) Never once said that or mentioned how he should shoot more 3's even, not sure where you read that, i literally said he would max out at .5 3's per game best case lol

2.) 80% of the league weren't no.1 overall picks, and he will never be a good 3pt shooter most likely, so what part of his game is there to expand on? already a good defender, its merely confidence and consistence at the FT line and his mid range jumper and working with Vuc on the pick n roll game that needs to develop and that comes with.............playing time

3.) Magic are getting around 10 less possessions per game due to their slow pace and Fultz directly would help that over playing DJA as well, which feeds into the ball hogging teammates of Fourn and Gordon

but carry on......

42 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

disagree 100% magic would be much better with fultz having the ball in his hands. Hes the best playmaker, second  best athlete ,  and best penetrator on that team. AG, fournier, isaac are all solid shooters.. they’re not iso players that can create their own shot but thats what clifford has been allowing. I understanding having them have some plays where they create their own shot.. but its constantly fournier and AG trying to create their own shot.. and they suck at it. Isaac and vooch are the most impactful players on that team and they’re the most unsefish. If AG and fournier were similar this team would thrive. Fultz needs to ball to be effective and the magic need a ball handler/playmaker to win. They’re going agaisnt a winning formula imo.

Edited by stickman786

3 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

1.) Never once said that or mentioned how he should shoot more 3's even, not sure where you read that, i literally said he would max out at .5 3's per game best case lol

2.) 80% of the league weren't no.1 overall picks, and he will never be a good 3pt shooter most likely, so what part of his game is there to expand on? already a good defender, its merely confidence and consistence at the FT line and his mid range jumper and working with Vuc on the pick n roll game that needs to develop and that comes with.............playing time

3.) Magic are getting around 10 less possessions per game due to their slow pace and Fultz directly would help that over playing DJA as well, which feeds into the ball hogging teammates of Fourn and Gordon

but carry on......

I don't have an opinion for #3, I don't know if that's truly a difference between Fultz and DJA, but I'll probably look into that later today.

I simply do not agree with #2. I don't think where he was picked should be a factor to how they play him. I'm not sure what correlation you're making there, but clarify if you can. I hope he improves his 3 pt shooting and I hope they play him as well to develop him.

As for #1, neither did I. I didn't mention him taking more 3s either. I think what I wrote is pretty clear, but to clarify for you, I said that he needs to improve his 3pt shooting and his 3pt makes will go up. Maybe you thought I wrote 3pt attempts. This comment is a direct response to your statement: 

3 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yep, Gordon and Fourn are Ball Hog Chuckers, for some reason they feel the need to give DJA minutes, he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA are ahead of him for shots

Just saying that there should be more emphasis on his lack of ability to make 3s which is why he could be capped at .5 3's made for most of the season.

4 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

I don't have an opinion for #3, I don't know if that's truly a difference between Fultz and DJA, but I'll probably look into that later today.

I simply do not agree with #2. I don't think where he was picked should be a factor to how they play him. I'm not sure what correlation you're making there, but clarify if you can. I hope he improves his 3 pt shooting and I hope they play him as well to develop him.

As for #1, neither did I. I didn't mention him taking more 3s either. I think what I wrote is pretty clear, but to clarify for you, I said that he needs to improve his 3pt shooting and his 3pt makes will go up. Maybe you thought I wrote 3pt attempts. This comment is a direct response to your statement: 

Just saying that there should be more emphasis on his lack of ability to make 3s which is why he could be capped at .5 3's made for most of the season.

You stated about 80% of the league could breakout given usage dismissing that he has higher upside than that 80%, being a no.1 overall pick, and deserves more usage based off what hes shown to boot, over DJA, if you disagree you need to watch some Magic games

"You can say that his teammates ball hogging is a factor to his lack of 3pt makes per game"

Nobody expects him to ever be good at shooting 3's im not sure why you think he would improve, nobody is making a comparison to his teammates with regards to 3's made or expects him to come close to 1 per game its just not gonna happen, it has more to do with regards to getting the ball in his hands hence where the Ball Hogs hurt this team and fultz as well

and finally theres not a lack of emphasis on his 3 production, its acknowledgment that he will simply never be good at them which is why nobody is talking about his lack of production there, we want the ball in his hands more for the reasons others and myself have pointed out which im not going to reiterate 

Cheers

13 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

disagree 100% magic would be much better with fultz having the ball in his hands. Hes the best playmaker, second  best athlete ,  and best penetrator on that team. AG, fournier, isaac are all solid shooters.. they’re not iso players that can create their own shot but that clifford has been doing. I understanding having them have some plays where they create their own shot.. but its constantly fournier and AG trying to create their own shot.. and they suck at it. Isaac and vooch are the most impactful players on that team and they’re the most unsefish. If AG and fournier were similar this team would thrive. Fultz needs to ball to be effective and the magic need a ball handler/playmaker to win. They’re going agaisnt a winning formula imo.

Debatable that he's their best play maker. I agree he's one of their best athlete and really good at driving in, and sure, I'm not against the fact that Orlando could be better with the ball in Fultz hand. He's not going to make them that much better though which is what I'm trying to emphasize here. People here are doing to much finger pointing by listing out his teanmmates and coaching decisions. The truth about this player is that the PG playing more minutes than him is getting old and he has a pretty good opportunity to play more minutes as a young player. This opportunity is on him to take advantage of and I hope people notice that. But saying that his 3s will be capped at a certain makes per game because there are other players in his team that takes more shots? What kind of analysis is that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

nobody is making a comparison to his teammates with regards to 3's made

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

... he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA ...

You implied Fultz is capped at 0.5 3s made for the most of the season because of his teammates. I said no, it's because he cannot make 3s.

--

All the piggyback chatter about what to expect from him is nonsense to me. Nobody can tell the future and whether he improves any of his game is a subjective matter.

8 minutes ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

You implied Fultz is capped at 0.5 3s made for the most of the season because of his teammates. I said no, it's because he cannot make 3s.

--

All the piggyback chatter about what to expect from him is nonsense to me. Nobody can tell the future and whether he improves any of his game is a subjective matter.

"he will be at .5 3's made for most of the season with minimal scoring because Vuc - Gordon - Fourn - Ross and even DJA ."

Read again, it says SCORING homie not minimal 3's made, big difference and no they are not one in the same either

and you are absolutely right, i can say dwight howard will get better at 3's as well, but whats most likely to happen?

Fultz upside value is in his assists - steals with solid %, if he can get his ppg up into 12-13 territory this Ww add becomes a full on contributor for our squads, but going back to my first post, i dont think it happens anytime soon (the playing time needed to reach these goals)

Edited by kmoore1521