mtx

League Settings for Y! H2H Points... seeking wisdom! Please help.

Recommended Posts

Been playing 9-cat H2H & Rotisserie my entire life but I've been asked to commish a H2H Points League for the first time this year. Can anyone with veteran experience recommend any tweaks/settings that will make the league format better/more fun and also state the reasons/logic behind the recommendations? Below are the Y! H2H Points Defaults but I've added 3PTM = 0.4 to make 3-point specialists slightly more attractive. Why wasn't 3PTM valued to begin with by Yahoo? Also since there is no penalty for Free Throws missed (since this actually hurts teams in real life), I am thinking of adding the FTM Category there with a Value of -0.5. So it wouldn't be a category auto-loss in default H2H but it would still be a minor penalty for guys who can't shoot FTs.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommends?

Players Stat Category Value
3-point Shots Made (3PTM) 0.4
Points Scored (PTS) 1
Total Rebounds (REB) 1.2
Assists (AST) 1.5
Steals (ST) 3
Blocked Shots (BLK) 3
Turnovers (TO) -1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t play in points leagues. But I have play in leagues that added these Cats and I thoroughly enjoyed them:

FTM

3 PT%

OFF Rebs

Asst/TO ratio

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ginocan said:

I don’t play in points leagues. But I have play in leagues that added these Cats and I thoroughly enjoyed them:

FTM

3 PT%

OFF Rebs

Asst/TO ratio

 

How do you convert percentages and ratios to points??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mtx said:

How do you convert percentages and ratios to points??

 

I am not sure as I have never played in points leagues before. Maybe someone else can give you better insights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would suggest just playing around with the settings on hashtag basketball (link below) and see what you like best.

Main advice is just try and make sure you don't 'over power' a particular type of player. i.e. was in a league where DD was worth +10 and everyone just loaded up on PF/C's which was a bit boring.

unsure how to convert ratios into points but putting +1 for FG/FT made and -1 for FG/FT missed is easy to do and has a similar effect. 

https://hashtagbasketball.com/fantasy-basketball-points-league-rankings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minus for ft will really make some guys DnD, like Lonzo.

I guess if you really wanted to shake it up it would be exciting. It would def. Make c/pf selection different.

Try making turnovers count for more, they always seem low to me conpared to points value of other stats (in general not your settings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mtx said:

How do you convert percentages and ratios to points??

 

14 hours ago, freddo said:

unsure how to convert ratios into points but putting +1 for FG/FT made and -1 for FG/FT missed is easy to do and has a similar effect. 

 

Keep it simple, + and - are the way to go. Don't just do +1 and -1 for each. You need to weight them to achieve the desired effect, i.e. somewhat realistic impact compared to real life ball. Here is an example:

AD shoots 12 of 20 from field, and 5 for 7 from the line. Simple +1 and -1 for make/miss gives you +4 for FG and +3 for FT. But 12-20 (60%) is way above average for FG% while 5-7 (72%) is a little below average for FT%, meaning NBA league average. So what if you use more realistic weighting like FG = +1.25 for a make and -1 for a miss, FT use +1 for a make and -3 for a miss. Then FG score is +7 and FT score is -1, i.e. +7 is significant positive impact, while -1 is slight negative impact. That more closely matches real life impact and NBA averages (to shoot for 0, you need to go 4 for 9 from floor (44.4% is not far off) and 3 for 4 from the line (75% is close to average).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rando said:

 

 

Keep it simple, + and - are the way to go. Don't just do +1 and -1 for each. You need to weight them to achieve the desired effect, i.e. somewhat realistic impact compared to real life ball. Here is an example:

AD shoots 12 of 20 from field, and 5 for 7 from the line. Simple +1 and -1 for make/miss gives you +4 for FG and +3 for FT. But 12-20 (60%) is way above average for FG% while 5-7 (72%) is a little below average for FT%, meaning NBA league average. So what if you use more realistic weighting like FG = +1.25 for a make and -1 for a miss, FT use +1 for a make and -3 for a miss. Then FG score is +7 and FT score is -1, i.e. +7 is significant positive impact, while -1 is slight negative impact. That more closely matches real life impact and NBA averages (to shoot for 0, you need to go 4 for 9 from floor (44.4% is not far off) and 3 for 4 from the line (75% is close to average).

 

 

Elite centers or PFs who are eligible C who can make FTs would instantly be top-10 picks lol.

Edited by mtx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Points league guys here. We have similar scoring as you posted except with 0.5 for 3pm, 2.5 for double double bonus, and 5 for triple double bonus. Only thing I'd say is PF/C are kinda overpowered so most of the times your flex spots are all those types of guys. Adding a FTM category could help that or maybe just reduce rebounds to 1 point.

One thing we changed last season that everyone loved was setting weekly lineups that locked on Mondays instead of adjusting everyday. Gets rid of the need to pick up scrubs with a lot of games to weasel out as many extra points as possible. Also allows you to carry some interesting stashes on your bench and injured guys don't kill your week before it begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new here and having difficulty posting this question as a new thread, so I'll try here, randomly...

 

As co-commish in a newly converted H2H Yahoo league I'm not seeing anywhere to set the Weekly Games Played Limit. Help? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...