Sign in to follow this  
hlin8821

Dwayne Bacon 2019-2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Bunch of hype and pre-season praise from the coaching staff and organization. The coach called him the " second most versatile player" on the roster after Batum. What do you guys think? I'd say he definitely starts at the SG/SF spot. He did not shoot the ball all that bad last season aside from the free throws but with this large opportunity in front of him, what do you think he averages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe managers are taking flyers on Monk over this guy. Rozier, Bridges, and Bacon is the young core the rest will get the scraps left over. And the just a scorer, that's all he can do is such a dumb narrative. His minutes alone will provide stocks, he's super strong and his game will develop. One of the best sleepers this season. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

I can't believe managers are taking flyers on Monk over this guy. Rozier, Bridges, and Bacon is the young core the rest will get the scraps left over. And the just a scorer, that's all he can do is such a dumb narrative. His minutes alone will provide stocks, he's super strong and his game will develop. One of the best sleepers this season. 

I would take him over Monk but he did nothing but score in college and his per 36 so far in NBA says all he does is score,i dont see how he suddenly becomes a more rounded player.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think there has been too much hype. If somebody would have been recommended to pick him in TOP100 then it is hype, but usually they recommend only as late rounds option. I personally consider him only in last round.

Edited by apatas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

His minutes alone will provide stocks,

 

???

This is one of the strangest statements I've ever read on these boards.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

 

???

This is one of the strangest statements I've ever read on these boards.

Okay maybe not mins alone but youtube him he's huge & incredibly strong which should equate to some unexpected boards on a roster as weak as this. With his starter minutes on lock & another season's experience to expect some stocks isn't the wildest scenario for Bacon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Okay maybe not mins alone but youtube him he's huge & incredibly strong which should equate to some unexpected boards on a roster as weak as this. With his starter minutes on lock & another season's experience to expect some stocks isn't the wildest scenario for Bacon. 

 

Stocks is steals+blocks, not rebounds.

If you're trying to say his athleticism and strength along with increased minutes and role will translate into better defense and more steals and blocks, then that's a fine opinion to have.

I personally got burned last year trusting Borrego's rotations for any other CHA players than Kemba, so I'm not 100% convinced the minutes will be there. But as others have noted here as a last round flier or $1 type player I wouldn't mind drafting someone with potential upside like Bacon or Monk over a over the hill guy like Batum, especially if you're a fan of the player you are drafting. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like empty points and he will be on the waivers all year long from what I've seen. Just doesn't look talented at all even with the lack of talent in CHA. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Looks like empty points and he will be on the waivers all year long from what I've seen. Just doesn't look talented at all even with the lack of talent in CHA. 

Get some glassses. Racking up dimes, rebounds, and getting to the line. The "just a scorer" he's been branded with is utterly ridiculous. He'll be rostered in every 12 team league. Keep sleeping.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Get some glassses. Racking up dimes, rebounds, and getting to the line. The "just a scorer" he's been branded with is utterly ridiculous. He'll be rostered in every 12 team league. Keep sleeping.

Zero stocks poor ft % and hes on the waivers in 4 of my 6 leagues... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm much more intrigued by PJ Washington. Say no to empty points guys. 3's need to come with steals, otherwise you really get behind in that secondary category..notice how almost many cheap points guys are ranked low and can be had in abundance between round 10-13? Many of them come with a lack of peripheral stats, and no stocks. 

Fantasy has evolved, people expect a lot more across the board production from their picks.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lifschitz said:

I'm much more intrigued by PJ Washington. Say no to empty points guys. 3's need to come with steals, otherwise you really get behind in that secondary category..notice how almost many cheap points guys are ranked low and can be had in abundance between round 10-13? Many of them come with a lack of peripheral stats, and no stocks. 

Fantasy has evolved, people expect a lot more across the board production from their picks.

 

 

Unless you're in a points league, then this guy is a good late round flier considering the opportunity.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kriggly said:

 

Unless you're in a points league, then this guy is a good late round flier considering the opportunity.   

 

Sure, issue is if I have to list out every type of league we're going to have varying statements for every player and threads will become convoluted - take him in this league but not this league, etc.. So I cater to what most people play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

 

Sure, issue is if I have to list out every type of league we're going to have varying statements for every player and threads will become convoluted - take him in this league but not this league, etc.. So I cater to what most people play.


Eh, majority of leagues break down to either points or categories.  Providing a blurb that a player has value in one and not the other isn't the worst thing I've seen on a general fantasy basketball forum.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kriggly said:


Eh, majority of leagues break down to either points or categories.  Providing a blurb that a player has value in one and not the other isn't the worst thing I've seen on a general fantasy basketball forum.  

 

If you play points, then there are a lot more guys who have value to you - you can roster way more players and you aren't worried about their shortcomings, to the point where it wouldn't even be worth talking about because they aren't normal picks in "standard" leagues.. Not to say you're biased, but I also see Bacon in your signature and you're in a points league. He really doesn't hold much weight in category leagues either way, that was the original point, so this is all a moot discussion.

I'm not a fan of grabbing 3 category players who will be inconsistent from night to night. If he disappears in the scoring column for a few games, what then? The dimes also could be a complete mirage, he hasn't shown that in the past, and it's preseason, once the defense tightens up, he can go back to being a 2 apg player and you're basically looking at just points and some threes, and there are plenty of those guys at the end of drafts or off the wire.

 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Bacon at round 10 in my 18 team league. If you are desperate for points late in the draft, he is a gold. The lack of talent in CHA gives him the opportunity to be the 2nd/3rd option on offense. He is youngso therr is room for him to improve. Hopefully it will translate to more counting stats because he is strong and athletic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

 

If you play points, then there are a lot more guys who have value to you - you can roster way more players and you aren't worried about their shortcomings, to the point where it wouldn't even be worth talking about because they aren't normal picks in "standard" leagues.. Not to say you're biased, but I also see Bacon in your signature and you're in a points league. He really doesn't hold much weight in category leagues either way, that was the original point, so this is all a moot discussion.

I'm not a fan of grabbing 3 category players who will be inconsistent from night to night. If he disappears in the scoring column for a few games, what then? The dimes also could be a complete mirage, he hasn't shown that in the past, and it's preseason, once the defense tightens up, he can go back to being a 2 apg player and you're basically looking at just points and some threes, and there are plenty of those guys at the end of drafts or off the wire.

 


You can roster some people who are undesirable in cat leagues sure , but 1-1-1 dudes and blocks/steal specialists also lose their luster.  Ends up being the same size pool give or take.  I've played both multiple times.  I just picked him up after the game tonight.  Replaced Hunter since I don't think he'll be more than a glue guy his rookie year since he can't create his own offense and Hawks have plenty of wings.  He was my last pick anyway.  If I were playing categories this year I would have preferred Hunter due to increased defensive stats and efficiency.  Varying dilemmas depending upon league type.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kriggly said:


You can roster some people who are undesirable in cat leagues sure , but 1-1-1 dudes and blocks/steal specialists also lose their luster.  Ends up being the same size pool give or take.  I've played both multiple times.  I just picked him up after the game tonight.  Replaced Hunter since I don't think he'll be more than a glue guy his rookie year since he can't create his own offense and Hawks have plenty of wings.  He was my last pick anyway.  If I were playing categories this year I would have preferred Hunter due to increased defensive stats and efficiency.  Varying dilemmas depending upon league type.   

 

One thing I will say is that you can do worse with your 13th rounder. Getting stable production from one of your end of the bench guys is never a bad thing. So I do support picking him up if you're looking for a cheap source of points / 3's at the end of the draft/bench, if he somehow miraculously starts upping his steal rates, then he's a complete 'steal' based on that alone. Not much to lose at that spot anyhow, it all depends on who you're dropping for him.

I'm considering taking a flier myself over Garland who may not be ready until December while they roll out Clarkson / Della.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him as a sleeper. Some people are teearing him down like we're suggesting to draft him in the 4th round overall. No. He's a nicce get from waivers/free agency and could be a really useful addition to your team. Hold your horses on high expectations, though: check the volumes Kevin Martin had to put up for even decent rankings - then consider Bacon's stats are probably not going to surpass Kevin Martin's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to do some deeper research into this guy, watching vids, looking at scouting reports, he's actually quite an impressive scorer/physical specimen. I dropped Norman for him because Norm seems more one dimensional, I'd rather have a dimes upside and a bigger more secure scoring role from a guy on a bad team.

What caught my attention was the fact they said he's actually one of the best defenders on the team, he has a 6'10 wingspan and he's 6'6.. his defensive upside was apparent on his scouting reports as well.. so it's a curious case why his steal rate is so low. Another thing that really caught my eye was that they said not only will he be the starting SG, but he's going to play some point for them, scouting reports said he has a yo-yo handle for a guy his size and can make plays. Watching his highlight vid versus a bad Memphis team, there were some really nifty passes in here - gives me hope that he can be a solid dimes guy out of the SG spot the rest of the year:

 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I'm much more intrigued by PJ Washington. Say no to empty points guys. 3's need to come with steals, otherwise you really get behind in that secondary category..notice how almost many cheap points guys are ranked low and can be had in abundance between round 10-13? Many of them come with a lack of peripheral stats, and no stocks. 

Fantasy has evolved, people expect a lot more across the board production from their picks.

 

 

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

 

If you play points, then there are a lot more guys who have value to you - you can roster way more players and you aren't worried about their shortcomings, to the point where it wouldn't even be worth talking about because they aren't normal picks in "standard" leagues.. Not to say you're biased, but I also see Bacon in your signature and you're in a points league. He really doesn't hold much weight in category leagues either way, that was the original point, so this is all a moot discussion.

I'm not a fan of grabbing 3 category players who will be inconsistent from night to night. If he disappears in the scoring column for a few games, what then? The dimes also could be a complete mirage, he hasn't shown that in the past, and it's preseason, once the defense tightens up, he can go back to being a 2 apg player and you're basically looking at just points and some threes, and there are plenty of those guys at the end of drafts or off the wire.

 

 

I like PJ too.  I know Bacon didnt contribute much other than points, but...he was a rookie...and he's talented...and he's gonna get big minutes....and there's garbage time games where he might just go nuts.  So I think the other counting stats might tick up a bit, we might be surprised.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don

3 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I decided to do some deeper research into this guy, watching vids, looking at scouting reports, he's actually quite an impressive scorer/physical specimen. I dropped Norman for him because Norm seems more one dimensional, I'd rather have a dimes upside and a bigger more secure scoring role from a guy on a bad team.

What caught my attention was the fact they said he's actually one of the best defenders on the team, he has a 6'10 wingspan and he's 6'6.. his defensive upside was apparent on his scouting reports as well.. so it's a curious case why his steal rate is so low. Another thing that really caught my eye was that they said not only will he be the starting SG, but he's going to play some point for them, scouting reports said he has a yo-yo handle for a guy his size and can make plays. Watching his highlight vid versus a bad Memphis team, there were some really nifty passes in here - gives me hope that he can be a solid dimes guy out of the SG spot the rest of the year:

 

I dont think Bacon will play much if any PG. The Hornets have Graham as a backup pg who might be their best actual playmaker, and could be a future starter in this league.

Bacon's ballhandling is ok, but his playmaking leaves to be desired. He's also more of a big body/body up defender but lacks the quick hands and feet to rack up steals.

You can be a great defender and barely get blk/stl, so remember fantasy impact doesnt always equal real life impact. Thats hoe you end up drafting Chriss, JJ, Terence Jones, etc.

What stood out to me is how poorly Bacon and Rozier play with Bridges (or the other way around). It wouldnt surprise me if the Hornets dangle Bacon somewhere this season in order to find a better fit next to Bridges - assuming he's the main piece for their future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we might see a lot of Devonte Graham this year too...hell he's interesting in deeper leagues if you need assists...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this