SicarioSanity

2019 -2020 Punting Thread

18 hours ago, jay14bay said:

4 other teams are all punting FT.. isn't this exactly why you should NOT enter the draft with a preset punting strategy? 

Exactly - do not enter the draft with a preset punting strategy, but enter in still planning to punt a category. It really is simple, take BPA the first round and build from there. This will somehow apply less if you are picking around or near the turn, as having 2 picks so close to each other mandates that you really have to plan a punt especially in a deep league. For example if you draft Drummond and Gobert the first 2 rounds, you should know that by this point you are losing points and possibly assists already. 

• Like 2

I'm picking 6th in my 15-cat H2H league, and I'm gonna go with Jokic, and try to punt blocks and TO, any ideas on the following picks?

On 10/4/2019 at 10:35 AM, SicarioSanity said:

Exactly - do not enter the draft with a preset punting strategy, but enter in still planning to punt a category. It really is simple, take BPA the first round and build from there. This will somehow apply less if you are picking around or near the turn, as having 2 picks so close to each other mandates that you really have to plan a punt especially in a deep league. For example if you draft Drummond and Gobert the first 2 rounds, you should know that by this point you are losing points and possibly assists already. 

Hard to win 3pt too with Drum and Gobert. I went this route and now I'm stuck. Stuck between going for Ast Pts or sit my guys out to win TO. 

Ideas?? 

I'm finding the key in punts is to identify the players who help you in the stats you're weak in but are still trying to win, usually without hurting you in the efficiency cats.  Sometimes you have to take them higher than you'd like, even if they don't fit your punt and provide requisite "value" for your build, they fill certain stats that you'll need, unless you want to triple punt...

i.e. if you punt FG/TO, you need to acquire big man stats from bigs who don't hurt your FT...

if you punt Ast, you need steals, 3's, points, and FT from players that don't sink your FG/TO...

if you punt FT, you need Ast, points, stls, 3's, without hurting FG/TO...same with points, you need decent FT, etc, etc. 

5 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

I'm finding the key in punts is to identify the players who help you in the stats you're weak in but are still trying to win, usually without hurting you in the efficiency cats.  Sometimes you have to take them higher than you'd like, even if they don't fit your punt and provide requisite "value" for your build, they fill certain stats that you'll need, unless you want to triple punt...

i.e. if you punt FG/TO, you need to acquire big man stats from bigs who don't hurt your FT...

if you punt Ast, you need steals, 3's, points, and FT from players that don't sink your FG/TO...

if you punt FT, you need Ast, points, stls, 3's, without hurting FG/TO...same with points, you need decent FT, etc, etc. 

Sometimes I think we tend to focus a lot on the players who help us stack the cats we're trying to stack that fits our punt, i.e. Adams in punt FT/points, etc....but its just as important to focus on the players who don't necessarily "fit" but are just as valuable, say CJ in a punt FT because you might be light on points and 3's and he's the highest output in those cats at that respective point in the draft, or TJ Warren a few rounds later, etc.  

Edited by hipriest69

I should have drafted normally tbh. Drafting drum / gobert was a mistake. That only got me 3 cats. What happen to the rest?? I gotta go and win 5 every week not 3. There are only so few players that can produce high stocks and not hurt you otherwise..... I started reaching for guys that can steal and pass with less To. Sighjj

• Like 1

"Giannis/Steph - punt FT%. We can categorize Lebron here as well. "

Why would you punt FT% with Steph?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

For punt FG/TOs you can usually accomodate a low ft guy or two with a guard heavy squad especially if you start out with Harden+Booker

1 hour ago, mtx said:

I should have drafted normally tbh. Drafting drum / gobert was a mistake. That only got me 3 cats. What happen to the rest?? I gotta go and win 5 every week not 3. There are only so few players that can produce high stocks and not hurt you otherwise..... I started reaching for guys that can steal and pass with less To. Sighjj

On two punt points drafts I've found Drum / Gobert start to be harder than Jokic / Drum.  

Drum / Gobert.  

You're a lock in 4 cats (FG / REB / BLK / TO).  

You're hard punting 2 cats - points and FT.  

That's 3 cats to go hard for (AST/STL/3).   If it's too hard and you end up with Simmons / Draymond  with your 3rd pick you could just punt 3's as well, but I might try to catch up, hard to say...probably better off going for the 6-3 and punting 3's or assists.  Then you should be LOADED and should at least have a pathway to 5-4. 

3 minutes ago, chaiway said:

For punt FG/TOs you can usually accomodate a low ft guy or two with a guard heavy squad especially if you start out with Harden+Booker

Yes true but do you really want to take away your advantage there, when other teams strong in FT too?  In fantasy playoffs do you really want Adams or Whiteside coming in and swinging a big fat 4-11 on your FT?  Now maybe if you're really stacked there and have Gallo and Lauri too or something like that then I would be more inclined.... 

Hi there everyone, last year in my yahoo pro league I went in knowing I was going to draft a punt assist team, it was my 1st time doing so and I had the 6th pick and took curry and paired him with Gobert who I got in the 2nd round. Long story short I traded ayton, trade young , and JJJ for oladipo after week 3 and he got injured for the rest of the year shortly after that. Anyway I managed to stay in 1st place the entire year and won the championship so all I can say is in a competitive league this strangely truly works and you will usually win 5-4 or 6-3 and if you lose all my losses were 4-5 so yeah, and I had the highest win% as well, good luck all

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brye said:

Hi there everyone, last year in my yahoo pro league I went in knowing I was going to draft a punt assist team, it was my 1st time doing so and I had the 6th pick and took curry and paired him with Gobert who I got in the 2nd round. Long story short I traded ayton, trade young , and JJJ for oladipo after week 3 and he got injured for the rest of the year shortly after that. Anyway I managed to stay in 1st place the entire year and won the championship so all I can say is in a competitive league this strangely truly works and you will usually win 5-4 or 6-3 and if you lose all my losses were 4-5 so yeah, and I had the highest win% as well, good luck all

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 10/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, hipriest69 said:

On two punt points drafts I've found Drum / Gobert start to be harder than Jokic / Drum.  

Drum / Gobert.  

You're a lock in 4 cats (FG / REB / BLK / TO).  

You're hard punting 2 cats - points and FT.  

That's 3 cats to go hard for (AST/STL/3).   If it's too hard and you end up with Simmons / Draymond  with your 3rd pick you could just punt 3's as well, but I might try to catch up, hard to say...probably better off going for the 6-3 and punting 3's or assists.  Then you should be LOADED and should at least have a pathway to 5-4. 

I'm in a 10 team H2H 9-cat with double doubles instead of turnovers picking 9th and was considering Drum / Gobert for that 4 cat lock, but feel like it's too hard to get strong enough in AST/STL/3s to make it work. What about targeting LeBron (if still there) or Simmons then one of Drum / Gobert? That way you get a better start on AST/STL. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:50 AM, mtx said:

Hard to win 3pt too with Drum and Gobert. I went this route and now I'm stuck. Stuck between going for Ast Pts or sit my guys out to win TO. 

Ideas?? 

On 10/19/2019 at 7:30 PM, mtx said:

If you went Drummond/Gobert you are effectively punting FT%, PTS, ASSISTS, 3's. If you're going down this route you really have a small margin of error as you need to improve on 2 of your 4 glaring weaknesses. I would just settle for hard punting PTS and FT's because it's extremely hard to make up for points outside of the top 25 picks. Thats where all your points will be coming from. Instead you will be looking for players that do not score a whole bunch but will help you in other cats. Lord Covington is your savior so please do not let him get sniped.

If you can somehow get Westbrook or Simmons with 3rd pick, you can begin to focus on assists. In your middle rounds, I would target your 3 point shooter and steals. You need 3 and D players to make this work. Then finish off with cheap blocks with Whitside, McGee, Noel etc.

• Like 1

Did a 14 team H2H categories snake redraft with pick 9 yesterday and punted pts/3/ft%.  The result:

DAMFSYW.jpg?1

It's a rather easy punt given the order of ADPs this year. I reached for 3 of my first 4 picks but all 3 of those reaches (Drummond, Capella, MitchRob) are absolutely crucial to my punt build so they weren't actual reaches in reality

Gotta say tho that if I didn't land Draymond at 37 then I might be singing a different tune right now. I was sitting on pins and needles waiting for my turn because I definitely had to have AST at that point and if not Draymond then I probably would've had to reach for Lowry, and I don't like drafting Lowry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snerpy said:

If you went Drummond/Gobert you are effectively punting FT%, PTS, ASSISTS, 3's. If you're going down this route you really have a small margin of error as you need to improve on 2 of your 4 glaring weaknesses. I would just settle for hard punting PTS and FT's because it's extremely hard to make up for points outside of the top 25 picks. Thats where all your points will be coming from. Instead you will be looking for players that do not score a whole bunch but will help you in other cats. Lord Covington is your savior so please do not let him get sniped.

If you can somehow get Westbrook or Simmons with 3rd pick, you can begin to focus on assists. In your middle rounds, I would target your 3 point shooter and steals. You need 3 and D players to make this work. Then finish off with cheap blocks with Whitside, McGee, Noel etc.

You would have to hard punt points and FT with Drummond and Gobert start.  

Between Simmons and RWB I would take Simmons imo because of his positive FG impact, whereas Russ negatively affects your FG and TO...in fact you cannot take Russ in that build he ruins your team.  Draymond or Simmons much better...

1 hour ago, PUNTSQUAD said:

Did a 14 team H2H categories snake redraft with pick 9 yesterday and punted pts/3/ft%.  The result:

DAMFSYW.jpg?1

It's a rather easy punt given the order of ADPs this year. I reached for 3 of my first 4 picks but all 3 of those reaches (Drummond, Capella, MitchRob) are absolutely crucial to my punt build so they weren't actual reaches in reality

Gotta say tho that if I didn't land Draymond at 37 then I might be singing a different tune right now. I was sitting on pins and needles waiting for my turn because I definitely had to have AST at that point and if not Draymond then I probably would've had to reach for Lowry, and I don't like drafting Lowry

Here's my roster after adding Tyus Jones in FA to fill WCS' vacant spot:

kOW3kCp.jpg?1

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:50 AM, mtx said:

Ideas?? 

I initially really wanted to go Drum/Gob with the 9th pick but after doing a couple of mock drafts I ran into the same problem you were facing. I ended up going Drummond -> Simmons -> Draymond and filled my team from there. I should be dominant in fg%,rebounds, steals, blocks and above average in assists. However, I'm dead last in pts, 3s, and ft% and because I have Simmons and Draymond, my TOs are really high too so now I'm stuck evaluating matchups week to week to see who i need to sit so I can either win assists or TO. There is very little room for error in this strategy. I probably didn't build as efficiently as I could have and sort of regret going this route because this punt strategy I think is hard to pull off, at least for me. 

You might have to trade down but try trading Gobert for some assists like Simmons but just make sure watch your TOs. Probably better than getting 3-6'ed each week. 

Was going to go with the Drummond Gobert/Vucevic in my 10 cat DD 12 team 11th pick to start, but realized elite PG are still worth grabbing early. They go fast and can’t be replaced easily. 

final roster, went for a punt points and FT build. Should have FG REB BLK STL DD on lock

Kyrie 

Lowry

Smart

Covington

Drummond

Capela

Whiteside

Oubre

Miles bridges 

Zach Collins

Rondo

Danny green

Rose

Edited by jay2491

Went with an AST/FT punt in my last H2H $$ draft tonight. Last pick snake. Missed Rui/Thy at the end unfortunately. Will probably swap Cedi for NAW or use as wire slot overall. 

image.png.a5164454021026aaf33a254fd237462c.png

Edited by KingDURANTULA

I personally never intentionally punt because then comes a few problems:

1. You will not want to draft good players that fall due to your build (if Lowry/Conley falls to 7th round, are you not going to draft them in a punt assist? Will you not draft Derozan in a punt FT if he falls to 7th?)

2. You will be fighting over similar players to those that go the same build. E.g. Lebron and Giannis teams will certain fight over the punt FT guys. AD and KAT going for punt assists. Lillard and Harden going punt FG etc etc.

3. Too many variables effect you in a season such as injuries and player stat dropoff. You could be drafting Whiteside last year thinking his FT is not too bad and then he goes 44%. Or you could be drafting Millsap few years ago and getting a sharp drop in blocks after that 1.7 bpg year.

I feel drafting best pick available while taking into account positional needs is the best way to go in a snake. Then decide on what to punt as your season progresses. Of course you can soft punt a few cats during draft but I would never recommend hard punting as that really gives you low margin of error. 

On 10/9/2019 at 5:44 AM, DrFate said:

I'm picking 6th in my 15-cat H2H league, and I'm gonna go with Jokic, and try to punt blocks and TO, any ideas on the following picks?

6th pick with Jokic, I ended up with Drummond at round 2, in a 9CAT H2H 14 teamer league.

10 minutes ago, ill ark said:

6th pick with Jokic, I ended up with Drummond at round 2, in a 9CAT H2H 14 teamer league.

Huh why would u draft Drummond after jokic? Try to trade drummond for ayton/turner/vuc

On 10/20/2019 at 7:56 AM, mbell317 said:

"Giannis/Steph - punt FT%. We can categorize Lebron here as well. "

Why would you punt FT% with Steph?

Steph has been a punt FT% building block for a long time as he will give you all the stats you need for that build. You will be negating his FT% but on the flipside if you can pair him with Drummond, you will go out of the first 2 rounds in good shape in all cats except FT%. You can then draft the Capela Adams types later with confidence.

Edited by SicarioSanity
  • Like 2

apologies for the double post -- please disregard/remove.

Edited by ill ark
accidental double post