Ads7633

Pick 5 Keepers. WHIR

Okay. So, just won my league and have a great team, but now I have to decide who to keep for next year. I only get 5. A few things to note:

• Points league= I could care less about steals or batting average and starting pitching is extra valuable
  • Quality Starts are worth a lot more than wins
  • In this league nobody ever has enough SP's so they get pushed up considerably on draft day. If you don't keep an ace or two, it's really hard to catch up in pitching.

Here are my possible keepers, with the round they would have to be kept in. (note: If they were kept last year they just slot into your first available round- so if you keep 5 previous year guys you don't pick until the 6th round.)

Hitters: 

Yelich (Previous Keeper)

Bellinger (4th)

Jose Ramirez (1st)

Harper (Previous Keeper) -better in points leagues

Realmuto (Previous Keeper) -Really tempted to keep him, he was the #25 overall hitter and is a huge value over other catchers

Suarez (5th)

Carlos Santana (7th)- incredible in points, finished as the #15 hitter

Encarnacion (14th)

Aquino (25th)

Pitchers:

Kershaw (Previous Keeper)

Corbin (Previous Keeper)

Castillo (6th)

Syndergaard (Previous Keeper)

Woodruff (14th)

Minor (25th)

My initial thoughts are 1. ) Yelich 2.) Bellinger 3.) Ramirez 4.) Castillo 5.) Corbin. But it really hurts leaving off Harper, J.T., Kershaw, and Woodruff. Also, I just know this will be the year Thor turns the corner if I don't keep him...

Also, I can always try to trade some of these guys for draft picks.  

I probably would go Bellinger, Yellich, J. Ramirez, Suarez and Castillo\Corbin\Kershaw (depending on your preference).  No way I keep 2 pitchers.  You can make a case for Harper over Suarez, but kind of tired of Harper's act and 35 Hrs is not what it used to be with the juiced ball this year. 

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

I probably would go Bellinger, Yellich, J. Ramirez, Suarez and Castillo\Corbin\Kershaw (depending on your preference).  No way I keep 2 pitchers.  You can make a case for Harper over Suarez, but kind of tired of Harper's act and 35 Hrs is not what it used to be with the juiced ball this year. 

I mean it is a points league so number of home runs isn't everything. Harper was still the #18 batter and outscored Suarez 530 to 460.

On the pitchers, my reason for keeping two is that a Kershaw/Corbin/Castillo type pitcher is a whole lot harder to replace than a Harper/Suarez type hitter (at least in this league). I mean I got Suarez for next to nothing from a 11th place team, but a pitcher like Kershaw would cost me significant capital, and surely will not be around for me to draft by the time I get picks in the 5th or 6th round of our drafts.

10 hours ago, Ads7633 said:

Okay. So, just won my league and have a great team, but now I have to decide who to keep for next year. I only get 5. A few things to note:

• Points league= I could care less about steals or batting average and starting pitching is extra valuable
  • Quality Starts are worth a lot more than wins
  • In this league nobody ever has enough SP's so they get pushed up considerably on draft day. If you don't keep an ace or two, it's really hard to catch up in pitching.

Here are my possible keepers, with the round they would have to be kept in. (note: If they were kept last year they just slot into your first available round- so if you keep 5 previous year guys you don't pick until the 6th round.)

Hitters: 

Yelich (Previous Keeper)

Bellinger (4th)

Jose Ramirez (1st)

Harper (Previous Keeper) -better in points leagues

Realmuto (Previous Keeper) -Really tempted to keep him, he was the #25 overall hitter and is a huge value over other catchers

Suarez (5th)

Carlos Santana (7th)- incredible in points, finished as the #15 hitter

Encarnacion (14th)

Aquino (25th)

Pitchers:

Corbin (Previous Keeper)

Castillo (6th)

Woodruff (14th)

Minor (25th)

My initial thoughts are 1. ) Yelich 2.) Bellinger 3.) Ramirez 4.) Castillo 5.) Corbin. But it really hurts leaving off Harper, J.T., Kershaw, and Woodruff. Also, I just know this will be the year Thor turns the corner if I don't keep him...

Also, I can always try to trade some of these guys for draft picks.  

Thanks for helping me.

No-brainers:

Yelich (Previous Keeper)

Bellinger (4th)

Corbin (Previous Keeper)

No based on your league settings I would add:

Castillo (6th)

Then add one of:

Woodruff (14th)

Minor (25th)

Not sold on J-Ram, especially as a 1st pick. With settings like yours (I'm in a similar league) I would go definitely go with 3 pitchers.

• Like 1

I think some are discounting the year Harper had.. quietly. I would go Yelich Bellinger Harper Joram Suarez. Not keeping Castillo or Corbin is tough, but if it were me I would build the hitting base, then draft the arms. .02

44 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I think some are discounting the year Harper had.. quietly. I would go Yelich Bellinger Harper Joram Suarez. Not keeping Castillo or Corbin is tough, but if it were me I would build the hitting base, then draft the arms. .02

He said it was a points league where pitching is super valuable. Screams to me that you can't cut Corbin/Castillo. In a standard league I'd agree. 

12 hours ago, exm said:

Thanks for helping me.

No-brainers:

Yelich (Previous Keeper)

Bellinger (4th)

Corbin (Previous Keeper)

No based on your league settings I would add:

Castillo (6th)

Then add one of:

Woodruff (14th)

Minor (25th)

Not sold on J-Ram, especially as a 1st pick. With settings like yours (I'm in a similar league) I would go definitely go with 3 pitchers.

Yeah, keeping 3 ace-like pitchers going into this year really helped me this year. The problem with not keeping Jo-Ram is that even though he would be slotted in my first round, If I don't keep him then one of my other previous keepers would slot there instead. So, keeping him really costs the same as keeping any of Kershaw, Corbin, or Syndergaard. I guess the question is "with all things the same would I rather have Jo-Ram or one of those guys?"

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He said it was a points league where pitching is super valuable. Screams to me that you can't cut Corbin/Castillo. In a standard league I'd agree. 

ah, missed that.

A lot of Jo Ram's value is tied to steals, which as you mentioned isn't worth as much when scarcity isn't an issue. Honestly besides the 5 I mentioned, Woodruff is interesting just to have a good pitcher and get the extra pick. Still, I think Id go with the 5 I mentioned, but something to consider.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Exactly. The league dynamic is weird. My first year in this league I didn't take a pitcher until round 14 because the pitchers were all going so far ahead of their ranking I couldn't bear to jump that early. Well, that failed in epic proportions. Since then I've realized in this type of setting bats are much easier to come by. Still, some bats (Yelich, Bellinger, etc.) stand out enough where you can't replace them.

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

A lot of Jo Ram's value is tied to steals, which as you mentioned isn't worth as much when scarcity isn't an issue. Honestly besides the 5 I mentioned, Woodruff is interesting just to have a good pitcher and get the extra pick. Still, I think Id go with the 5 I mentioned, but something to consider.

True, but honestly his plate discipline plays up in points leagues to the point where when he is "good" Jose Ramirez he is still one of the top 5 point producers in the league. 

And yes, I am really tempted by Woodruff. I think he has top 20 SP talent.

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

I do agree with your Harper thoughts. And he is better in points. Even in down years #18 this year and #8 last year. Plus, he may play better in year number 2 in the new venue. 

MUST HAVE IN ORDER

Yelich

Bellinger

Castillo

Corbin

Kershaw (if you're in win now mode)

OR

Woodruff (if you're also trying to be mindful of the future; he's the real deal but Castillo/Corbin/Belly/Yelich are all young anyway so no real need)

With 6 keepers in at most a 12 team league, there should be enough solid players that are too old to keep that will be close enough to match Jose Ramirez

Help with mine?

I like the 5 you picked. My only quibble is that Jose Ramirez is so volatile, that for a 1st round pick, I might not keep him. I might go Realmuto instead. Good luck. 

15 hours ago, nittanychris said:

I like the 5 you picked. My only quibble is that Jose Ramirez is so volatile, that for a 1st round pick, I might not keep him. I might go Realmuto instead. Good luck. 

he was showing (before his injury, which he came back from and picked back up RAKING) that he figured it out.

1.  Yelich - No explanation necessary

2.  Bellinger - Same as above

3.  Castillo - budding Ace who will be top 20 SP for quite a while

4.  Corbin - Solid SP who is a need for this type of league

5.  Harper - Still the "18th best hitter" despite the down year.  Consider that his floor for 2020.  Still only 27 years old

6.  If there was someone to maybe replace Harper, it would be Woodruff.  However with how the Brewers handle their starters (no letting them pitch really deep into games), I dont think the upside translates to a points league.

• Like 1