poofinger

Mike Nugent 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I always wanted to start one of these. Did I?

Edited by poofinger
  • Haha 1

Yup, I just cashed out my Fairbairn (talk about useless so far) for a Nuuuuuge.

• Like 3

You know what, I just dropped Gould for him. There's no doubt that NE is a top offense and whoever their kicker is will have top 5 potential in the league. Bill Belichik will not hire just any leg. Yes Gould is a great kicker, but I'm not getting attached to no kicker unless it's Greg or Tucker. It's worth the gamble, if it doesn't work out there are plenty of other options in a 10T as K is a very streamable position. His bye is not until week 10. Not looking back.

• Like 1

Gauging Nugent's potential, if Gostkowski had made all of his extra points he would be the #8 fantasy kicker.  He only had 2 attempts over 40 and none over 50.  The Patriots knew he was injured and were probably avoiding long FG attempts which they might now try with a healthy Nugent.

Negatives:

-- Week 10 bye

-- all 3 playoff games potentially in bad weather (home, CIN, home)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Pats also signed that Younghoe kicker from the Chargers to their practice squad, so it looks like Nugent's lease is short. Then again, they probably just release poor Younghoe after a few days anyway,

If this guy misses two kicks in a game guarantee the Pats release him, go with Younghoe and sign another kicker to the practice squad. The Pats are going to stream the position IRL this season lol

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nap Time said:

Nugent is 37!  Wow, time flies . . .

I was shocked by this as well.

I posted this in the Waiver thread when this guy was suggested, but now I see that this marginal kicker actually has a thread, so I'll cut and paste for those thinking of rostering him thinking that he is a one for one replacement for Gostokowski...

But something to keep in mind, he doesn't have a big leg.  Only 13 for 30 on 50+ yarders in his career.  5 for 12 in the last 5 seasons combined.  I feel like Gay will get you 5 50 yarders this season easily.  A 50 burger is almost as good as a TD and I like having that upside.  Kicker without a big leg = not being given the opportunity to even attempt the 50 yard = no chance for points.  Not my cup of tea.

He's going to be added en masse simply because of Pats hysteria and association.  But I'd much rather have Slye, Gay, or Lambo amongst the less widely owned kickers.  I wouldn't drop Robbie Gould for him who's been one of the most accurate kickers in the league the last two years for this old guy who has an injury history and has only played in a fraction of games in the last two years.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CooL said:

I posted this in the Waiver thread when this guy was suggested, but now I see that this marginal kicker actually has a thread, so I'll cut and paste for those thinking of rostering him thinking that he is a one for one replacement for Gostokowski...

He's going to be added en masse simply because of Pats hysteria and association.  But I'd much rather have Slye, Gay, or Lambo amongst the less widely owned kickers.  I wouldn't drop Robbie Gould for him who's been one of the most accurate kickers in the league the last two years for this old guy who has an injury history and has only played in a fraction of games in the last two years.

Prater out of the bye too 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Kraft probably defers to Younghoe

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dead serious question:

Do you think the Pats prefer Younghoe but are afraid to start him right now because they want to see how much embarrassing press coverage they get because of Kraft’s situation and his name?

seriously. Nuget is almost 40 and has a weak leg.

4 hours ago, CooL said:

I mostly agree with you, it doesn't make sense to drop someone like Slye, but guys with Fairbairn or similar will drop without hesitation to take Nugent because he will have more opportunities, even without the 50 yarders. If you own someone like Gay or Lambo it depends on your scoring and situation. In general though I'd say Nugent could be a solid middle of the pack kicker which might be a huge upgrade for anyone who's had bad luck at the K spot thus far, or is simply looking to plug in a kicker and not have to worry about streaming every week for the most part.

Opportunity matters more than leg strength. I dropped Elliott because the Eagles always go for it on 4th down, and always go for 2 when they score a TD. The Pats rarely go for 2 and kick a lot of field goals to pad their lead in the second half. I’m in. I don’t need a lot of 50 yard FGs from my kicker.

• Like 3

how do we like Nugent compared to some of young K's doing well currently - thinking specifically Seibart or Pinero?