AnonymousRob

Greg Bird 2020 Outlook

What better way to kick off the 2020 discussions than talking about the New York Yankees 2019 opening day first baseman??

He had yet another injury plagued season, as he made it through 10 games before missing the rest of the season. In that miniscule sample size, he hit below the mendoza line with a homer. Luke Voit probably gets first base next season, but he - along with seemingly every Yankee - struggled to stay healthy the entire year. Bird still has two more seasons of control left, so he might be a decent trade piece or quality threat to steal the first base job in spring. It's too early for projection sites to have anything for 2020, but what are we thinking he could do if he got a full season of at bats? 30 homers? 40??

• Like 1

He’s the type of guy I’d love for my penny pinching, excuse making jays to take a chance on.

Luke Voit is probably going to be their 1b. Stanton stays at DH, and maybe that ginger Frazier finally gets called up to play full-time. 

as a Yankee fan i thought this dude was the ultimate sleeper and would just kill it this season but injuries got him yet again. His future depends on what the yanks do with Didi. If they resign Didi then i just dont see any place to put him with Voit and DJ and first base. If they let Didi walk then you could have glyber at SS with DJ at 2nd thus opening more room at 1st

We should call this the "Greg Bird Anonymous Thread"

Just say No, kids

You have a better chance at winning the Pick 6 lottery than Bird does of winning a starting job in NY next year lol.  Always hurt and stinks when not, so why would they bother with what he may or may not do in ST?  That boat has sailed imo.  Best case he has a good ST and\or good minor league numbers pre-July and is dealt to someone.  Probable case is more injuries and is never heard from again as he sinks to being given his outright release in the minors.

As to 1b for next year.  Voit is back.  DJL can play there as well.  Andujar is an option for time there as well depending on how Urshela works out next year.  And they have a 22M option on EE, which is likely not picked up but that could potentially change, esp. if they make the decision not to re-sign Didi.  There is no shortage of quality options for 1b in 2020 for the Yanks and Bird has zero chance imo of even being in the discussion. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 5:29 PM, Kramjam24 said:

as a Yankee fan i thought this dude was the ultimate sleeper and would just kill it this season but injuries got him yet again. His future depends on what the yanks do with Didi. If they resign Didi then i just dont see any place to put him with Voit and DJ and first base. If they let Didi walk then you could have glyber at SS with DJ at 2nd thus opening more room at 1st

There is zero chance a team with ambition to win a title is going to go with Bird at 1b, Didi or no Didi imo.  No Didi more likely means they pick up the option on EE and he and Voit share 1b\DH. With DJL being able to play 1b, 2b and 3b, it allows them considerable flexibility on how to go forward in the IF.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:13 AM, secretagentman said:

There is zero chance a team with ambition to win a title is going to go with Bird at 1b, Didi or no Didi imo.  No Didi more likely means they pick up the option on EE and he and Voit share 1b\DH. With DJL being able to play 1b, 2b and 3b, it allows them considerable flexibility on how to go forward in the IF.

Bird is done, I agree. Didi is interesting: they might put a QO on him and he might actually accept. If he accepts, E5 is gone. If not, E5 might be back. Andujar is back next year so they can slide Urshela to SS. Hopefully they'll also sign Cole.

39 minutes ago, exm said:

Bird is done, I agree. Didi is interesting: they might put a QO on him and he might actually accept. If he accepts, E5 is gone. If not, E5 might be back. Andujar is back next year so they can slide Urshela to SS. Hopefully they'll also sign Cole.

i agree they will probably start working Andujar at 1b.  Birds best chance is if hes cut and a team like the Dbacks give him another chance

9 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree they will probably start working Andujar at 1b.  Birds best chance is if hes cut and a team like the Dbacks give him another chance

Yanks have nothing to gain cutting Bird outside of losing his salary in the last couple of years he is arbitration elig (can't imagine he makes more than the min going into next year if that).  He likely will wallow in the minors until\if he shows enough to at least have some trade value in the next couple of years.  Otherwise, if he is so useless as to be hopeless, he might be cut before he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2022.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, exm said:

Urshela is not going to SS.  Torres would play short, DJL would move to 2b (his best position) and Urshela would play 3b..  Voit, EE and Andujar potentially could play 1b with DJL being a backup option there. 

Not sure what their thinking with Didi is.  He obviously is great defensively and as a left handed hitter in a predominantly right handed lineup, you would think he would be an easy decision to re-sign normally, but his streakiness and off year this year may have changed the Yanks mind as how to best proceed.  EE has a 20M option for next year, which is quite cheap for someone of his ability and it is only for one year as opposed to having to offer Didi a long term deal.  Not sure but assuming there is not a no-trade option in play for him, then picking up the option and dealing him for prospects would also be something they could look  into. They also might decide to just play Torres at SS, DJL at 2b and use the combo of Voit, EE and Andujar to work out 1b and DH. Of course, if Cole decides to leave Houston and they make a major push for him to the tune of 33+M a year over many years, the likelihood Didi and EE are both back becomes zero imo.  They might both be gone in that case.

Edited by secretagentman

8 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Voit might not even be a starter for the Yankees next year. Bird might get no tendered or traded. 

Voit will be fine. I think his hernia seriously is impacting him. He'll need to really struggle at spring training to lose the starting job. They'll give Bird a chance also, but he'll probably get himself injured going to the bathroom.

Posted (edited)

If Greg Bird ever amounts to anything close to what his potential was it will be a miracle and I am not holding my breath, but there are plenty of cases of late bloomers, but man the dude is a walking MASH unit. If you have a roster space to burn sure take a flyer and see what happens. At this point he's merely a lottery ticket and if you grab him and don't see pretty quick dividends move on.

Edited by kwolf68

Just read an article about guys who might be DFA's and he was at the top of the list, so I might guess 50-50 he isnt even a Yankee next fall.  I can see him getting a shot somewhere else, but with the injury history and not the "lottery ticket" of playing home games in that band box, will those saying they will gamble still be willing to do so?  

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Just read an article about guys who might be DFA's and he was at the top of the list, so I might guess 50-50 he isnt even a Yankee next fall.  I can see him getting a shot somewhere else, but with the injury history and not the "lottery ticket" of playing home games in that band box, will those saying they will gamble still be willing to do so?  

I can't see why the Yankees hold on to him. He is more fragile than Todd Gurley's knees, and they simply don't need him. 

First we need one reason this guy will be healthy next year. The Yankees seem to have Stockholm Syndrome with him, so there's always a chance...lol

Hope he gets cut and someone picks him up.  I for one would love to see him flourish in a new scene. Decent chance to end up on an AL Roster.  Moreland is a FA, would be pretty funny if the Red Sox signed him to be a bench bat and then became a starter. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hope he gets cut and someone picks him up.  I for one would love to see him flourish in a new scene. Decent chance to end up on an AL Roster.  Moreland is a FA, would be pretty funny if the Red Sox signed him to be a bench bat and then became a starter. 

As a Red Sox fan I am begging you not to curse Boston with him.  Hell I long ago removed him from my bench in my late at night or while I'm driving daydream fantasy All Animal Names team and replaced him with Mike Carp instead, hah.

Bobby Dalbec, you better have a decent spring training and keep Bird far far away from Beantown.  I'd even take light hitting Sam Travis back over Bird.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

As a Red Sox fan I am begging you not to curse Boston with him.  Hell I long ago removed him from my bench in my late at night or while I'm driving daydream fantasy All Animal Names team and replaced him with Mike Carp instead, hah.

He would cost basically nothing. If he doesn't produce he's an easy cut.

9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He would cost basically nothing. If he doesn't produce he's an easy cut.

But Dalbec and Travis are already there and would both cost less or the same and Dalbec has some power potential with, of course, the increased strikeouts that go with it these days, sigh. 

If the Red Sox are getting a fill-in 1B out of house until Triston Casas is ready and/or rushed through the minors -- and that is their long term future at 1B I think -- then go after someone like a Smoak at least.  Maybe a totally re-building from scratch team can take a flyer on Bird but a total re-build is not an option in Boston.  Also getting a Yankee reject doesn't sit too well either, heh.

Michael Chavis is also a 1B option except he is also needed at 2B or possibly the OF -- he is playing winter ball to learn the OF -- in case Mookie is traded in the off season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But Dalbec and Travis are already there and would both cost less or the same and Dalbec has some power potential with

You really care about your team wasting 1-2 million dollars on a dude. Jeeze man. Have an extra guy for free and it gives you one more option on a bat that could hit. You literally can't lose a deal for 1-2 million for one year. You could give me that contract it wouldn't effect the team by dumping me in 1 day into it. Plenty of 1b get hot for a year or two and cost nothing. If he sucks and the prospects are mashing you don't lose anything, and there's a chance his bat is more ready than anyone you mentioned.

He's not going to sign in Boston, this is pointless. I just thought it was funny. But the idea of hating Bird on a minimum deal seems ridiculous to me unless you legit don't have a roster spot.

Casas wont be up in 2020

Edited by brockpapersizer