Sign in to follow this  
s-kayos

2019 NBA Pre-Season Thread

Pre-season has kind of already kicked off, but thought it'd be good to have a discussion if anyone else is keeping up with it.

Pacers and Kings lineups looked pretty similar to the statlines for a normal game, found that pretty interesting. The starters especially don't look like stats that are out of the norm. Malcolm Brogdon for 14 assists and 2 TOs was nice, and TJ Warren's shooting is still good so far - 5-6 from three.

Pacers
STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
D. SabonisPF 31 9-16 0-2 3-4 6 6 12 2 2 1 5 1 +3 21
T.J. WarrenSF 33 11-18 5-6 3-3 0 5 5 1 1 0 1 4 +7 30
M. TurnerC 30 5-10 0-1 1-2 6 7 13 3 3 2 4 1 +20 11
M. BrogdonPG 34 5-13 2-4 3-4 0 6 6 14 0 0 2 4 +15 15
J. LambSG 33 6-12 1-6 7-8 0 1 1 2 1 0 3 2 +11 20

Kings
STARTERS MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
M. Bagley IIIPF 30 5-12 0-2 2-4 3 2 5 0 0 2 1 5 -11 12
H. BarnesSF 34 4-7 2-3 11-11 0 2 2 4 1 0 0 2 -8 21
D. DedmonC 18 1-2 1-2 0-0 0 2 2 0 0 0 2 3 -10 3
D. FoxPG 33 6-15 0-0 4-7 0 3 3 8 1 0 4 5 -12 16
B. HieldSG 32 11-20 4-10 2-2 0 4 4 1 1 0 4 4 -10 28

Also forgot the yearly obligatory "pre-season means nothing" to preempt any overreactions, but doesn't look like there's been much to overreact to yet. Harden was as solid as usual in their two pre-season bouts so far.

Obviously hot shooting, but if Warren gets even 15 shots a game, wow. I just traded baze for him in one league and drafted him outright in another, so I'm into it but...i dunno

I'm praying Richaun Holmes can beat Dedmon out of his spot. I think it's going to be a timeshare regardless, but it would be better appealing.

2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

I'm praying Richaun Holmes can beat Dedmon out of his spot. I think it's going to be a timeshare regardless, but it would be better appealing.

RW's Mike Gallagher is with you on that one, just now heard him on today's podcast. Doesn't trust Dedmon and would rather have Rich Homie Holmes.

Come on Hachimura and Hunter. Show me something.

• Like 1

Kind of feel like hitting the grocery store for point guards, trying to find some value for 10-teamers. Dunn, Sato, Garland, Payton, Fultz... wonder if anyone else.

3 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

Kind of feel like hitting the grocery store for point guards, trying to find some value for 10-teamers. Dunn, Sato, Garland, Payton, Fultz... wonder if anyone else.

Maybe Ish Smith is out there on waivers. He played honorably in his Sixer days. He even became more efficient with the Pistons.

4 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Maybe Ish Smith is out there on waivers. He played honorably in his Sixer days. He even became more efficient with the Pistons.

Will try to get a look at him as well, thanks for the mention. His production has always seemed really... lowkey for lack of a better word.

Very nice first half for Bryant 

More of that please

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:14 AM, Trench Mob said:

You don't think Giles will be a contender for those minutes as well?

3 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

You don't think Giles will be a contender for those minutes as well?

The kings rotation at the PF/C spots will be messy...

Bagley should get 30min mostly at 4 with some 5 as their 2nd overall pick

Dedmon should get 25min at the 5 as the big new addition ($40M over 3yrs) and floor spacer 

That leaves 41 minutes for Giles/Holmes/Bjelica with potentially some Barnes and Ariza potentially also playing some 4.

Some of those guys will not be in the rotation most nights with hopefully Giles/Holmes getting the bulk of those minutes. 

Looking forward to watching Jarrett Culver and Michael Porter Jr ( finally ) tonight.

• Like 2

Matisse Thybule looking like the stocks machine he was advertised as. 10 pts 3 stls and 2 blks In 17 mins 👀

• Like 2

Just now, StifleTower2 said:

I'd also buy Adams and Gallo even harder than I was before.

agree. Both primed for huge seasons. Both will be showcased for trades potentially. Id like to own both where possible 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, a-rob said:

deep sleepers for deep daily leagues. These guys will not start, but will get steady minutes bench minutes and might breakout with an injury from another player
Meyers Leonard- Coach Spo has a soft spot for these stretch 4s, he might take over for Kelly Olynyk?

Derrick Jones Jr- stocks machine!

Jalen Brunson- Not a believer in Wright

Darius Bazley- OKC seemingly playing it's regular rotation today and Bazley was one of first guys off the bench in first quarter. They have a hole at PF, he could fill in. Reminds me of Lamar Odom, tall lefty with handling and very good passing for his size.

Jordan Poole- could be the 3rd guard in rotation after Curry and D Lo, looked good entire summer league and did well against Lakers

Terrence Davis- undrafted rookie for Raptors, showing some serious skills

I really like Derrick Jones Jr. It's a shame that Herro looks like he's going to be an early contributor, I could've seen DJ stepping into a big role otherwise. Coach liked him last year. He should still see a lot of backup SF minutes regardless. 

Also another pre-season note: in the Nets exhibition Taurean Prince went 6 of 8 from three while the rest of the team shot  9 - 34 (although there was no Kyrie). I think Prince is undervalued as a late-round 3&D for 2+ threes  and 1 steal.

Edited by s-kayos

12 hours ago, a-rob said:

deep sleepers for deep daily leagues. These guys will not start, but will get steady minutes bench minutes and might breakout with an injury from another player
Meyers Leonard- Coach Spo has a soft spot for these stretch 4s, he might take over for Kelly Olynyk?

Derrick Jones Jr- stocks machine!

Jalen Brunson- Not a believer in Wright

Darius Bazley- OKC seemingly playing it's regular rotation today and Bazley was one of first guys off the bench in first quarter. They have a hole at PF, he could fill in. Reminds me of Lamar Odom, tall lefty with handling and very good passing for his size.

Jordan Poole- could be the 3rd guard in rotation after Curry and D Lo, looked good entire summer league and did well against Lakers

Terrence Davis- undrafted rookie for Raptors, showing some serious skills

I said thanks, because I got useful information for my deep league draft, but where to draft Poole at 20-team league? What do you think about?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, s-kayos said:

Matisse Thybule looking like the stocks machine he was advertised as. 10 pts 3 stls and 2 blks In 17 mins 👀

I don't think he's going to see much minutes on a deep Sixers team. Definitely watch list material though.

Edited by Trench Mob

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I don't think he's going to see much minutes on a deep Sixers team. Definitely watch list material though.

The upside is probably 15 min as one of the first subs of the bench which does seem likely based on reports out of camp.

Will purely depend on how much you need stocks. 

Somewhat similar to Noel in expectations with less rbs and a potential 3 instead

Edited by chaiway

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

Are they really that deep though? James Ennis and a relatively unproven Zhaire Smith are projected as the primary backups at SG and SF with Matisse right behind them. Not saying he's a lock for minutes, but they don't really feel "deep" at his positions to me.

32 minutes ago, chaiway said:

The upside is probably 15 min as one of the first subs of the bench which does seem likely based on reports out of camp.

Will purely depend on how much you need stocks. 

Somewhat similar to Noel in expectations with less rbs and a potential 3 instead

Yeah agreed chaiway, I don't project him to have a huge impact as a rookie, but his best case upside is as one of the first subs off the bench. If Zhaire Smith still isn't ready and James Ennis gets hut again (or is just meh as he often is), I don't see why Matisse couldn't get big rotation minutes at SG and SF. 

Now I might be biased because I believed in KJ McDaniels for way longer than I should have, but I like this kid Matisse, future-wise

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

Are they really that deep though? James Ennis and a relatively unproven Zhaire Smith are projected as the primary backups at SG and SF with Matisse right behind them. Not saying he's a lock for minutes, but they don't really feel "deep" at his positions to me.

Yeah agreed chaiway, I don't project him to have a huge impact as a rookie, but his best case upside is as one of the first subs off the bench. If Zhaire Smith still isn't ready and James Ennis gets hut again (or is just meh as he often is), I don't see why Matisse couldn't get big rotation minutes at SG and SF. 

Now I might be biased because I believed in KJ McDaniels for way longer than I should have, but I like this kid Matisse, future-wise

I think that due to the scarcity of stocks, he will be standard league value even in 15 MPG.  I could see him being around 10/5 with 2.5 combined stocks.  Add in that he's unlikely to hurt you in any of the three efficiency cats and I'd wager he will be top 125.  He can be better than someone like PatBev (aside from assists) who was ranked 123.  

• Like 1