zass17

Darius Garland 2019-2020 Outlook

Picked 5th, target to start along side with Sexton at some point. 

Had minor knee surgery but already full practice with the team.  

Will this small back court work? and What do you think his number's gonna be?

There are so many rookies I'm salivating over on the wire right now, Culver looks legit. I just hope Garland starts by mid November and we don't have to wait until January in a guard carousel of Clarkson/Della. A lot of people must feel having a starting PG of his upside is more worth it than a wing or big in the late rounds considering he's still leading all late round rooks at 36% owned despite barely playing in preseason.

I'm weary of dropping him knowing just how thin PGs are, but it's really hard to deduce what his outlook is, might have to suck it up during November and ride the bad stretch where he isn't playing much - eventually the Cavs will be so bad they'll just start playing him a ton of min next to Sexton and he'll reward patient owners.

16 and 4 (assists) on 6-13 from the field, 2 threes with only 1 turnover in 25 minutes.

There is no way in hell that Delly is the starter in the regular season. I fully expect the Cavs starting back court to be Garland and Sexton.

Finding a PG in the last few rounds with his upside is next to impossible. You take a flier based on that upside alone. Getting a 12th-13th pick who will yield you 16/3/5/1 the rest of the year and 2 3's is amazing value..

I just went back and forth on Culver on BBM with Lloyd, and I made the same argument there to which he agrees, you'd rather take your last 2 picks or so on rookies with upside, they're the only ones with potential to return top 5-7 round value. You can find the Eric Gordons and Osmans and Norman Powells and Bacon any day of the week on the wire even half way into the season, points and 3's are much easier to find, but being able to find multi-cat lines from important positions is extremely difficult to get late, so you're better off taking fliers on rookies with immense upside at these spots since its VERY low risk and VERY high reward. 

Worst case they don't pan out you rotate the spot until you find a hot year-long pickup.

I got Garland 12th, and based on the early returns I'm seeing it's not a matter of if but of when he plays next to Sexton. I predict by mid November they'll be playing together in the back court, Sexton is way more of a combo guard, Garland is more of a true PG similar to Trae / Curry types (pure shooter, amazing handle, good vision with room for growth here, small but insanely quick).

It says something that this guy was 37% owned which made him the highest owned rookie outside of the obvious (Zion, Morant, etc.) and he barely played in preseason, came off knee surgery, and only played 5 games for Vanderbilt. People know the upside is tantalizing here. I'll ride the initial storm if there is any, because the Cavs are plain bad and Clarkson and Della aren't doing anything worth talking about.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Finding a PG in the last few rounds with his upside is next to impossible. You take a flier based on that upside alone. Getting a 12th-13th pick who will yield you 16/3/5/1 the rest of the year and 2 3's is amazing value..

I just went back and forth on Culver on BBM with Lloyd, and I made the same argument there to which he agrees, you'd rather take your last 2 picks or so on rookies with upside, they're the only ones with potential to return top 5-7 round value. You can find the Eric Gordons and Osmans and Norman Powells and Bacon any day of the week on the wire even half way into the season, points and 3's are much easier to find, but being able to find multi-cat lines from important positions is extremely difficult to get late, so you're better off taking fliers on rookies with immense upside at these spots since its VERY low risk and VERY high reward. 

Worst case they don't pan out you rotate the spot until you find a hot year-long pickup.

I got Garland 12th, and based on the early returns I'm seeing it's not a matter of if but of when he plays next to Sexton. I predict by mid November they'll be playing together in the back court, Sexton is way more of a combo guard, Garland is more of a true PG similar to Trae / Curry types (pure shooter, amazing handle, good vision with room for growth here, small but insanely quick).

It says something that this guy was 37% owned which made him the highest owned rookie outside of the obvious (Zion, Morant, etc.) and he barely played in preseason, came off knee surgery, and only played 5 games for Vanderbilt. People know the upside is tantalizing here. I'll ride the initial storm if there is any, because the Cavs are plain bad and Clarkson and Della aren't doing anything worth talking about.

I have Will Barton and Shamat, I like this kids potential Esp on a Cavs rebuilding team. Going to pull the trigger. I appreciate your input thx you. 

Edited by GreatG
  • Thanks 1

Coach John Beilein said "it's probable" that Darius Garland will be Cavs starting point guard in their season opener.

If the Cavs choose to play Collin Sexton primarily off the ball, Garland should see all the minutes he can handle this season. The only other true PG on the roster is injury-prone vet Matthew Dellavedova

Image result for happy will ferrell.gif

• Like 2

What do you guys think his stat line will look like?  Gotta figure out if I want to spend some FA bucks on this cat.

2 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

What do you guys think his stat line will look like?  Gotta figure out if I want to spend some FA bucks on this cat.

14-16 ppg 1.5-2 treys 2-3 Rebs 4-5 ast 0.8 stls 0.2 blks 43% fg 82% ft 3-4 TO 

if he’s on ur wire in a 10+ team league he needs to be owned. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

14-16 ppg 1.5-2 treys 2-3 Rebs 4-5 ast 0.8 stls 0.2 blks 43% fg 82% ft 3-4 TO 

if he’s on ur wire in a 10+ team league he needs to be owned. 

You really think he is a must add?? And doesn't 4-5 assists seem a little bit too much?

On 10/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, a-rob said:

even if he doesn't start won't take long before he starts. i am not expecting him to win me my fantasy league, but if you need 3s and points in later rounds, he's your guy

I'd probably pick Carson / Herro before Garland... I didn't particular find his game to exciting to watch.

Coach John Beilein said "it's probable" that Darius Garland will be Cavs starting point guard in their season opener.

23 hours ago, Brandayz said:

You really think he is a must add?? And doesn't 4-5 assists seem a little bit too much?

Yes in teams 10+ leagues he has to be. 
4-5 isn’t too much when you factor in that’s he’s the starter and he’s backcourt mate Colin sexton isn’t seen as a point guard by his coach. He’ll have a rough patch early on but I think once he gets comfortable you’ll see him flourish 

I'm thinking we'll see this kid have a dame/kyrie like rookie season.

Edited by stickman786

Third straight disappointing start. I like the minutes and the overall potential especially for an end of bench guy, but I'm starting to think he's not worth holding right now over better speculative adds like Richaun. I do feel like he'll get hot soon though.

3 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Third straight disappointing start. I like the minutes and the overall potential especially for an end of bench guy, but I'm starting to think he's not worth holding right now over better speculative adds like Richaun. I do feel like he'll get hot soon though.

Strongly considering the same myself. Dropping him for Wood or Holmes in a few hours.

I've been holding, with guys like Barton, Barnes, Heurter, House, Troy Brown, on WW hopefully I don't regret it. When I do finally drop him he'll explode. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is exactly the type of guy my waiver wire hawking self is going to get impatient with and drop, only for him to light it up the 2nd half ugh lol 

• Haha 1