mightyjett

Michael Porter, Jr. 2019-2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, mightyjett said:

Is he worth drafting this season? Or another injury plagued season?

Unlikely this season for 3 reasons:

1. He's a forward (3/4) and the team has a glut of guys at his position that will get minutes

• At the 3 - Barton/Jauncho and some Craig
  • At the 4 - Millsap / Grant

2. Injury history - he's coming off of major surgery and even if healthy why push it 

3. He's a rookie and sounds like he still makes a lot of mistakes. For a team with playoff aspirations in a tough western conference they may not fully unleash him

• Like 3

I clicked him on my watch list days ago but I don't think nothing is going to happen. As @chaiway said, it's way too many bodies.

Opportunity should be the first thing you're looking at when going after rookies.

Barton has not looked that great and I really doubt they're going with a whole season of Jauncho or Tory Craig as SF. He's got a realistic shot.

Also worth noting that redshirt rookies are often more advanced than true rookies, so while he still hasn't looked 'amazing' in my eye tests he's got a real shot here. Worth a flier for the believers for sure. 

14 hours ago, MysticPeak said:

He tends to take a lot of crazy long 2s, is that a huge part of his game? No likey.

Most of his shots were in the paint last night. He was 6/7 and had some great cuts and off ball movement. He’s played like 20 minutes total of preseason nba action after not playing for two years. Seems pretty premature to say whats a “huge part of his game” or make any statements about what he “ tends to do” (I guess I’m assuming you’re making that judgement based on like two shots that made the social media rounds?)

• Like 1

He looks so impressive. If it was any other team...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 12345game10 said:

Him, Culver, or Washington.

Cannot decide at all.

if it's strictly on opportunity you have to put Porter last in this group. Denver is too deep for him to really make an impact.

Culver or PJ since they'll play way more.

He just made his debut. It’s hard to tell so far but he had a nice layup to the rack. Let’s see if there’s something here.

I really wish Craig wasn't in the rotation. I know he's a great real life defender, but man... 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:58 PM, Trench Mob said:

He looks so impressive. If it was any other team...

Nuggets have way too much depth. I honestly think they need to trade about three guys and just let Porter work with the starters to get him up the curve as fast as possible.  

I don't own the guy in fantasy, I just think he's going to be a beast and you need to get him reps now and not 2-3 years from now. Health permitting and on minutes restrictions for now obviously. 

Just now, Eltoro said:

Nuggets have way too much depth. I honestly think they need to trade about three guys and just let Porter work with the starters to get him up the curve as fast as possible.  

I don't own the guy in fantasy, I just think he's going to be a beast and you need to get him reps now and not 2-3 years from now. Health permitting and on minutes restrictions for now obviously. 

I kinda forget Malone is the coach. The same guy that refused to play Jokic for a long period of time. That guy lol.

Yeah... It's gonna be awhile until Porter Jr. shows up on the fantasy blimp.

37 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I kinda forget Malone is the coach. The same guy that refused to play Jokic for a long period of time. That guy lol.

Yeah... It's gonna be awhile until Porter Jr. shows up on the fantasy blimp.

I don't think he refused so much as tried to make the Nurkic pairing work because the front office had invested a pick in him. 

It's kind of the same thing here. You can't really bench everyone without turfing their trade value. Hopefully they showcase a few guys and ship em so that MPJ has some time and touches. 

But given how successful they were last year I am not sure they want to mess with a winning formula just yet. Funny thing is I think MPJ is the kind of x-factor that can put a team over the top (if he reaches his potential). 

Really just posting to get the star and make it easier to follow this thread.  Porter could be looking at a situation similar to Jokic/Nurkic.  Good player(s) in front of him, and needs minutes to show out.  It wasn't until Nurk was traded mid season that the Joker came of age.  He is a tough cover at SG, which seems to be his position.  Just too tall for traditional SG's and he is quick enough to get by larger forwards.  Definitely a player to watch, and if you have room (I really don't have room, but I am stashing him anyway for now) he is a good dynasty/deep keeper stash.  Upside is super high (floor is extremely low in the near future as he will probably have a ton of DNP's).

At this point, Porter owners need to root for the Nuggets to lose and/or injuries. If the Nuggets stay healthy and win at a good clip we won't get much out of Porter this year. But if he is ever unleashed he will win people leagues. 

Many forget that the kid was regarded as the best prospect in last year's draft class before his injury situation. Watching him in pre-season and in his first action last night you can see the talent. But that rotation will be tough for a kid to crack. 

2 hours ago, JrsKars said:

What you guys think about him tonight with Barton out

I think he's a grab and see. Hoping he's a grab and brag.